Submitted: TheDoomedArchvile
Decorate: TheDoomedArchvile
GLDefs: None
Sounds: Hexen
Sprites: Hexen, Neoworm
Sprite Edit: TheDoomedArchvile
Idea Base: Upgrade to the Spiked Gauntlets
ACS: No

Description: A metal gauntlet that has two large spikes that rip through the flesh of anyone who is unlucky enough to get punched. They deal more damage than the spiked gauntlets and the wielder can even preform an uppercut. Holding the alt-fire while preforming the uppercut will throw a follow-up punch that deals significant damage.
The uppercut also acts as a jump to get onto higher ledges or reach air-born foes. The follow-up punch will also push the person forward a bit, so they can use this attack as an extra movement option.

Download

Note: There are two current issues I am having with this weapon that keep this from being fully complete for my liking. Regardless, I hope it is still fun in its current state.

1. For some reason when using the AltFire's followup attack (mid-air punch after the uppercut), when using the AltFire again it will automatically enter its AltHold state instead of going to the AltFire state. The Goto at the end point to the Ready state, so I am not sure why it is skipping?

2. I'd like to make enemies who get hit by the uppercut attack, or at least are within a close proximity of the player when using this attack, that they also get thrust straight into the air so that the followup punch will better connect. I tried using A_Blast but that only appears to push enemies horizontally. Is there a way to make an enemy to be launched only vertically when hit by a melee attack or with another A_Blast-like effect?

As always, feedback is welcome! ^_^
Last edit: 16 hours 20 minutes ago by doomedarchviledemon. Reason: Updated based on feedback

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeVloek
  • Hades Elemental
  • Hades Elemental
More
1 day 4 hours ago #2 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [Submission] Impaler Gauntlet
Some issues with this weapon:
  • Several errors in the A_CustomPunch arguments. pufftype and armorbonustype both require a string, 0 won't work.
    The default pufftype in Hexen is "PunchPuff", you should use that or a custom puff derived from it. Since most attacks call A_CustomPunch three times in a row, you'd probably want only one of them to produce a puff, for the others you can pass "none".
    For the armorbonustype just pass "BasicArmorBonus".
  • The weapon sprites aren't wide screen friendly. Even at a standard 16:9 resolution some sprites are cut off at the sides. Might be fixable with some copy/pasting from other sprites that have the full arm.

I'd like to make enemies who get hit by the uppercut attack, or at least are within a close proximity of the player when using this attack, that they also get thrust straight into the air so that the followup punch will better connect. I tried using A_Blast but that only appears to push enemies horizontally. Is there a way to make an enemy to be launched only vertically when hit by a melee attack or with another A_Blast-like effect?

You could use A_RadiusThrust with the RTF_THRUSTZ flag, but for some reason this only works in Doom, Strife and Heretic but not in Hexen. Might be an engine bug, not sure.
No idea if there's another way in Decorate. It would be really easy in Zscript, just make a custom puff and let SpecialMissileHit do ThrustThingZ on the victim.

• doomedarchviledemon
  • doomedarchviledemon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
16 hours 7 minutes ago #3 by doomedarchviledemon
Replied by doomedarchviledemon on topic [Submission] Impaler Gauntlet
Updated
  • Switched to ZScript
  • Addressed A_CustomPunch issues
  • Fixed widescreen sprites (Just discovered how to see the full widescreen visual range in Slade3)
As for the SpecialMissileHit, I don't fully understand the example shown on the ZDoom wiki. At least, I don't understand where to actually put this in the actual code. I tried a few configurations with a custom puff actor but I couldn't figure out if I was suppose to put it in the Default section or somewhere in the actor's States or what.
If there is another weapon on this site that uses this function I could look at how/where it's used and go from there myself. If there is please let me know and I'll try to learn by example.