Sprites: Corridor 8 by Capstone Software, Id software, 3D realms
Sprite Edit: KILLA DIO

Description:
A sniper rifle that gets more powerful the more you charge it

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vmhsgkx34a48997/Charge%20Sniper.pk3?dl=0

Sprite:

NOTE: 
This was made about a year ago but never uploaded, so the code might feel a bit newbie-ish

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TyrannotitanFan
  • Lost Soul
  • Lost Soul
More
3 years 1 month ago #2 by TyrannotitanFan
Replied by TyrannotitanFan on topic [SUBMISSION] Charge Sniper
"A sniper rifle that gets more powerful the more you charge it"
it reminds me of one Erasus from Russian Overkill 3.0

• inkoalawetrust
More
3 years 1 month ago #3 by inkoalawetrust
Replied by inkoalawetrust on topic [SUBMISSION] Charge Sniper
The criticisms I have about the formatting and indentation are basically the same as the ones I have for your other Sting Cannon submission, so I'll just link the post I made there for those.

The SNIP C through H frames on the weapons' fire state should also be condensed into one line, since there's no reason for them to be like that.

And the weapon should have an editor and slot number too, so you can just drag and drop it on a project and have it work.

As for how the gun itself works in game, when the game starts up, the gun produces several warnings, and it also seems to have a bug where sometimes if you charge it until the ammo reaches 0, the gun just drops down without firing at all. Bugs aside the beams it fires should also probably make a decal instead of leaving nothing behind, be it producing one of ZDoom's built-in decals or a custom one of your own.

• KILLA DIO
  • KILLA DIO's Avatar Topic Author
  • Lost Soul
  • Lost Soul
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #4 by KILLA DIO
Replied by KILLA DIO on topic [SUBMISSION] Charge Sniper
editor and slot numbers are kinda de-encouraged here since that should be up to the mapper

I'll try clean up the code a bit and fix the warnings

I don't agree with the beam leaving the decal since it's supposed to be more like a red dot laser for aiming, and I feel like it not firing at all if you run out of ammo is fine as it prevents players just draining though all their ammo with no consequences other than a lack of ammo

Also the errors are cause by me using none to make parts of the beam that would be created from a_railattack invisable
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by KILLA DIO.

• inkoalawetrust
More
3 years 1 month ago #5 by inkoalawetrust
Oh I didn't mean the laser sight, I meant the railgun shot it fires, though on the subject of the beam, the puffs that it generates on everything it hits should probably be removed since they don't make much sense.

Also you may want to make the gun able to alert monsters when it fires, just maybe in a smaller area, like just calling A_AlertMonsters and giving it a max range of 512 map units.

Also your reasoning for keeping the gun able to just remove all your ammo and do nothing is pretty bad, since it's not some minor punishment, it literally takes all that ammo you could've used and destroys it for nothing in return. If you want to limit how much you can charge each shot, you could make it fire or stop charging and keep it in until you leave the fire key, once you put up to like 40-50 cells to it. To prevent people from just cheesing boss fights by holding down the fire key until all their cell ammo is drained up and then firing a single Cyberdemon killing beam.

And yeah I know why the errors are occuring

• KILLA DIO
  • Lost Soul
  • Lost Soul
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #6 by KILLA DIO
It needs custom puffs so it doest produce any puffs or particles,

EDIT: also due to the way the laser works decals are out of the question

Ok i've added a limit to how much you can charge, but just so you know you come off as really agressivaly pushing to get things done how you want them to
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by KILLA DIO.

• inkoalawetrust
More
3 years 1 month ago #7 by inkoalawetrust
Oh sorry, that isn't my intention. I just meant that the gun lowering if you charge up all the ammo until you run out would be too annoying for players and mapper, and may make them dislike the gun because they consider that to be a bug.

• Gothic
More
3 years 1 month ago #8 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Charge Sniper
Yeah, behavior wise it reminds me to the Erasus from RO, or the Railgun from Demon Eclipse/Stronghold, but unlike those, the gun usually charges first, then they use the ammo when they shoot, which is the way it should be.
Also I'm not a fan of the sprite, since it was taken from an unfinished build (same as the Sting Cannon , but that sprite looks good as it is). The zooming animation doesn't make sense, since it's on the side of the sprite, and you can still see the sprite normally. The pickup sprite doesn't match really well, since it's the railgun from Shadow Warrior.

• KILLA DIO
  • Lost Soul
  • Lost Soul
More
3 years 1 month ago #9 by KILLA DIO
Can you please explain what's wrong with the sprite? sure it maybe doesnt fit doom but I'd say it isnt that bad. and also the shadow warrior railgun was the only thing I could find that matches the figure of the weapon

The zoom is meant more to be like the unreal 1 zoom and the weapon stays onscreen because imo it just isnt worth the hassle of making the gun not show up when functionally it's exactly the same

also "which is the way it should be." seems really subjective, and I personally don't like the idea of the player not being able to see how much ammo they're gonna loose when dealing with something on the rarer side like cells

I know I'm being stubborn and this is probably gonna get rejected but I kinda have to stand my ground here

• Gothic
More
3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #10 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Charge Sniper

Can you please explain what's wrong with the sprite? sure it maybe doesnt fit doom but
I'd say it isnt that bad. and also the shadow warrior railgun was the only thing I could find that matches the figure of the weapon

Well, the shading looks amateurish, like most 3D renders on the 90s looked without having a competent artist to improve them. Here's an example of the Hacx shotgun, which had a similar look before Cage improved it:

As for the pickup, you could edit it so it resembles the HUD graphic more.

KILLA DIO post=9289 userid=11563
also "which is the way it should be." seems really subjective, and I personally don't like the idea of the player not being able to see how much ammo they're gonna loose when dealing with something on the rarer side like cells

Yeah, but you current method of "lose ammo even if you're not firing" isn't the ideal way either.
Last edit: 3 years 1 month ago by Gothic.