• Imp
  • Imp
More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 1 week ago #1 by Resident
[SUBMISSION] Riot Shotgun was created by Resident
--Information:
Name: Riot Shotgun
Class: 3
Type: Hitscan (primary), projectile (secondary)
Palette: Custom
Summon: RiotShotgun
Ammo Type: Shell, Ricoshell (custom, included)
Altfire: Yes; toggle mode
Powered Mode: None
Brightmaps: Yes (automatic)
Actor modification: None
ACS: None

--Credits:
Code: Resident
GLDefs: Resident
Sounds: Valve, Bungie, id Software
Sprites: TSF/TypicalSonicFan, id Software, Melodica (tracer texture), HorrorMovieRei (tracer model)
Sprite Edit: Resident (muzzle flash edits, pickup sprite edit), Devloek (ammo and alternate loading edits)
Idea Base: Shotgun from the Halo games, the real-life Benelli M3, Unreal's Flak Cannon

--Description:
Designed specifically for riot control situations. Its primary fire is similar to your average run-of-the-mill pump action shotgun, but with a much larger bore to widen the weapon's spread. While this severely hinders accuracy, its wider area of effect and increased number of pellets makes it much easier to hit several targets at once in small groups.
Its secondary fire switches from standard buckshot rounds to heavier, slower shot that ricochets off of walls, at the cost of overall damage and much, much slower travel speed.

Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by Resident. Reason: Various formatting fixes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gothic
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #2 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Riot Shotgun
The sprites are nice and it's well coded, but ultimately it's just a shotgun reskin that deals more damage than the regular shotgun.

• Resident
  • Resident's Avatar Topic Author
  • Imp
  • Imp
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #3 by Resident
Replied by Resident on topic [SUBMISSION] Riot Shotgun
Yeah I'd kinda feared so, aha. I might revisit it over the next few days to give it some kind of unique spin, just gotta think of something that fits the riot control theme.

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #4 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [SUBMISSION] Riot Shotgun
Look and feel of this weapon is great, I love a powerful shotgun.

My only criticism at this point is the screenshake (I don't like that type of effect in games in general, it's always the first thing I turn off if there's an option) and how it does not bring the crosshair back to the center after each shot. Although the latter might be a good method to give the weapon a downside, idk.

• BFG Major Mike
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #5 by BFG Major Mike
Replied by BFG Major Mike on topic [SUBMISSION] Riot Shotgun
Now this is what I call a shotgun

• Resident
  • Imp
  • Imp
More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #6 by Resident
Revised and updated the main post accordingly, now it should hopefully function more as its own thing instead of a really fancy, but plain shotgun.

Changes include...
-An alt fire that has different attack behavior, functioning as a "fire mode" toggle instead of an instant fire. It cycles out instant-hitscan attacks for slower projectiles that can bounce off of walls.
-New sounds and effects to fit the new alternate firing mode, including a tracer model made by HorrorMovieRei, from their "Mass Hysteria" mod.
-Screen shake has been commented out, so it's an option for any modders that like that sorta thing.
-Fixed the miscalculated pitch changes from the recoil animation, so it now returns to center view when done firing. Whoops!
-Info and all that updated to reflect the new-ish behavior.

File Attachment:

File Name: RiotShotgunVer2.zip
File Size:1,298 KB
Last edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Resident. Reason: I forgot to actually describe the new altfire, drat.

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #7 by DeVloek
Love the new altfire, ricocheting projectiles is a great idea.
Maybe it's just me, but I'd comment out the A_Print lines, or at least change them to A_Log so the messages are less obtrusive. That's my last nitpick but I'm not doing the approval so maybe it's fine.

[in Lt. Columbo's voice] Oh, there's one more thing. Most of the sound files are in .wav format, you should convert them to .ogg format like the others.

• Resident
  • Imp
  • Imp
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #8 by Resident
Aaaand time for version 3! A few tweaks, nothing game-changing.

Changes include...
-Converted all the .wav sounds to .ogg, because I somehow overlooked the format difference, lmao.
-Added WEAPON.NOALERT and manual alerting functions to the firing; now changing shell types won't alert a whole room!
-Switched A_Print to A_Log and color-coded the ammo types in the text, for easier visual identification.
-Increased the bouncing pellet damage by just 1 point.

File Attachment:

File Name: RiotShotgunVer3.zip
File Size:338 KB

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #9 by DeVloek
A few things I noticed in V3 (sorry for not mentioning these points earlier, didn't have much time to test it last time):

- buckshot hits on walls leave no decals, which can be easily fixed by adding Decal "BulletChip" to the default block.
- firing rubber rounds consumes 2 shells per shot, not sure if that's intended, seems a little bit of a waste.
- since the rubber rounds behave completely different from normal shells, it might be a good idea to give that firemode its own custom ammo type.

edit:
here's a real quick edit of the pickup and reload sprites, feel free to use them if you agree with the custom ammo type idea, no credit needed

Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by DeVloek. Reason: attached sprites for custom ammo type

• Resident
  • Imp
  • Imp
More
3 months 1 week ago #10 by Resident

- buckshot hits on walls leave no decals, which can be easily fixed by adding Decal "BulletChip" to the default block.
- firing rubber rounds consumes 2 shells per shot, not sure if that's intended, seems a little bit of a waste.
Whoops, oversights! Fixed the two of them within just a minute.

- since the rubber rounds behave completely different from normal shells, it might be a good idea to give that firemode its own custom ammo type.
This was something I'd kind of considered, initially I'd just wanted to make it stand out from other Shell-based weapons while using the same ammo, but I'll toss it in for V4 and see how it fares in use since it'd justify the different type. Appreciate the sprite edits!