Need code for enemy sprites

• Margaret Thatcher
  • Margaret Thatcher's Avatar Topic Author
  • Lost Soul
  • Lost Soul
More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #1 by Margaret Thatcher
Need code for enemy sprites was created by Margaret Thatcher
Hi, I frankensprited together Kan3's Possessed Legs and the Coolie Ghost from the Shadow Warrior prototypes, and made a monster I've codenamed "Lanky". Unfortunately, I don't know how to code in ZDoom. Can someone help? Here's some baseline requests:
* Makes the HL1 Zombie "cackling" noise (This one) on sight.
* About 200 Health. It's enough to take a few hits but still get 1-shot by the SSG.
* Some sort of gory projectile which comes out quick and goes fast, dealing 25 damage on average. The gore projectile makes  this noise (yes I know it's prob a stock sound effect but this is the only place that I know it appears) when fired. Melee deals 40 damage on average.
* Can lunge at targets to close the gap. Don't have it damage the target, but have it instantly go into melee. Walk animation plays at double speed when lunging. Plays Heretic Nitrogolem fireball scream when lunging.

Attached is a picture of "Lanky" (I really need a better name).
Thanks in advance,
     RMT

P.S. The sprites marked ZZ are unused. The first two are alternate takes on the normal walk with the hip bone down, and the last 3 are for a charge attack I can't be bothered to finish. Might go back to those later.

File Attachment:

File Name: Lanky.zip
File Size:44 KB
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by Margaret Thatcher.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gunslahyer_Pi
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
1 year 7 months ago #2 by Gunslahyer_Pi
Replied by Gunslahyer_Pi on topic Need code for enemy sprites
This dude is freakin awesome. Someone help him! What a mad edition! Especially if you turn the Alpha down on him to make him transparent he will make an awesome edition to the Doom and/or Blood Beastiary!

Omg. Make it work!

• inkoalawetrust
More
1 year 7 months ago #3 by inkoalawetrust
Replied by inkoalawetrust on topic Need code for enemy sprites
I could probably write some code for this monster, maybe later today once I finish working on my own mod/submission for the day.

• Margaret Thatcher
  • Lost Soul
  • Lost Soul
More
1 year 7 months ago #4 by Margaret Thatcher
Replied by Margaret Thatcher on topic Need code for enemy sprites
If I were to go for a more neutral approach, I'd just clone the code from the Stridicus in Chex Quest 3.

• Gunslahyer_Pi
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
1 year 7 months ago #5 by Gunslahyer_Pi
Replied by Gunslahyer_Pi on topic Need code for enemy sprites
Couldn't you do a DECORATE transplant from another monster? I mean surely that could save some trouble and some work.

• Margaret Thatcher
  • Lost Soul
  • Lost Soul
More
1 year 7 months ago #6 by Margaret Thatcher
I don't know how to code monsters, I only know how to frankensprite.

• inkoalawetrust
More
1 year 7 months ago #7 by inkoalawetrust
Okay, since I can't finish the update for my own mod until someone else finishes making some edits to my sprites. I have gone ahead and written the code for this monster.

It fits most of the criteria for what you asked for, however, I don't have, nor can make, any sprites for the gore projectile that Lanky throws, so I've just made it fire Baron fireballs as a placeholder. I've also written a description for it and added obituaries.

The code runs on both GZDoom and Zandronum, since the monster you asked for is basic enough to be done in DECORATE, and I've also kept the unused sprites in a folder, the sprites have also been renamed to work in ZDoom, and given offsets. The lunge attack however doesn't just use a sped up running animation, and instead uses the last non-unfinished sprite frame where Lanky has one foot up, since the sped up run looks like weird and dumb, the lunge is also simply an alternate ranged attack the monster has a chance to perform if within 384 map units of its' target, instead of something it does when in its' See state, which is I presume what you actually wanted.

If you want me to change the jump state to use the sped up running and/or to make the lunge also occur as the monster chases you when it gets too close, instead of being an alternate missile attack, then just ask me.

• Margaret Thatcher
  • Lost Soul
  • Lost Soul
More
1 year 7 months ago #8 by Margaret Thatcher
First off, thank you. You have (mostly) done what I've wished. I have a few tweaks though.
* A gore projectile can be found in the sprites for Blood Fiend. https://www.realm667.com/en/component/docman/?task=doc_download&gid=17&Itemid=
* Gore should do 15-40 damage in multiples of 5
* IDK if this is possible, but can you make the projectile come out of its eyes?
* Melee range should be a bit shorter
* The lunge attack was intended to be a way to get closer to the target, they should be able to do it from farther. Don't have the lunge itself hurt the player though, have it immediately try to melee (like a Claw Gargoyle).
* You made a typo (It's spelled "Squeamish", not "Squimish").
* My explanation is that it's the corpse of a larger demon (similar size to a Hell Noble) reanimated before Revenants were a thing.
* While "Lanky" is a WIP name, it could be good shorthand (like how a Demon is called Pinky).
* I should make better pain frames.

Here's what I'd put for the text thingies.
Name: Carrionnette/Carrionate/Carrionite/Carrionoid (I haven't decided)
Description: This walking *gory word* was once Hell's go-to option for reanimated soldiers before the technology for revenants was acquired. It can lunge to close the gap between you and their hip bone. Watch out, they've got the Evil Eye!
Melee: *Player* was clocked upside the head by a Carrion*suffix*
Projectile: *Player* was struck by the gory sight of a Carrion*suffix* (This is a pun on the projectile coming out of its eyes)

And some credits
Code: You
Sounds: Id Software (Doom/Doom II), Raven Software (Heretic), Valve Software (Half-Life 1)
Sprites: Id Software (Doom/Doom II), 3D Realms (Shadow Warrior prototypes)
Sprite Edit: PGE (I'm changing my username to Perdition's Gate Enjoyer)
Idea Base: Prototype Coolie Ghost looked like it would fit on Rev legs

• inkoalawetrust
More
1 year 7 months ago - 1 year 7 months ago #9 by inkoalawetrust
Okay I've done the changes, however the damage range is from 15 to 45 instead of 40, because of the way to damage function formula is written to work with Zandronum, otherwise I'd just use RandomPick(). 
Last edit: 1 year 7 months ago by inkoalawetrust.

• Margaret Thatcher
  • Lost Soul
  • Lost Soul
More
1 year 7 months ago #10 by Margaret Thatcher
Not ready to put it out just yet, needs pain sprites. But after that we're good for release