• mikrani
  • mikrani's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #1 by mikrani
Looking for help adding mobs & weaps was created by mikrani
Hi,

I am kinda new and discovered doom modding recently.
I was looking to add some mobs to a map but after several hours of test, i am still wondering how i am supposed to do.
I have tryed with XWE and looked for the "number" of the mobs like i saw on youtube tutorials but i don't find any.

Could you please help me?

Thank you.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by mikrani.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MagicWazard
More
8 years 5 months ago #2 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic Looking fore help adding mobs
Assuming your custom actors all have editor numbers included already (many of them don't, and require you to create your own), you can only add custom actors using the map editor if you're using building your map using certain map formats. For example, if you're using the original Doom/Doom II format, you'll be limited to the stock monsters even if your custom monsters have editor numbers. By contrast, if you're using a ZDoom format (ZDoom in Hexen/UDMF, etc.), then you should be good. Also note that Doom Builder 2, for example, will group custom actors into a DECORATE category instead of Monsters/Weapons/Items, etc., unless the custom actor is specially tagged to a specific category. So even if the actor is available to place with the map editor, you might be looking in the location in the editor for it.

The Super Shotgunner is an example of a custom monster that already has its editor number set; that guy can be added to a map with no additional work. The Rapid Fire Trooper has both an editor number, and the Monsters category tag for editor sorting purposes. If your map editor doesn't allow you to place either of them, I suspect your map is in the "wrong" format to use custom actors.

• mikrani
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #3 by mikrani
Replied by mikrani on topic Looking fore help adding mobs & weaps
I managed to solve my problem by creating a random number and it worked perfertly.
Thanks.

Also, I met 2 other problems
First one: I wanted to add a monster into a map but, i was unable to do it because... it looked this : http://fr.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ag2tf9&s=6
Is this a bug? can I managed to add mob into this map?
By the way, It is not my map.

2nd problem : by replacing a weapon. I merged a pistol wad with XWE to a map wad. It worked, the pistol is here, but I wanted it to be replaced by the original one, not having 2 kind of pistol.
Also is it possible to add heretic style weapon for doom wads? I tryed but it doesn't worked.

Any help are welcome.
Thanks for you time!

• MagicWazard
More
8 years 5 months ago #4 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic Looking fore help adding mobs & weaps

mikrani wrote: Also, I met 2 other problems
First one: I wanted to add a monster into a map but, i was unable to do it because... it looked this : http://fr.tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2ag2tf9&s=6
Is this a bug? can I managed to add mob into this map?
By the way, It is not my map.

I'm guessing it's a problem with the map format. I see it's loaded as "Doom in Doom" format, which is not a format you can use for adding custom content to. As for the glitches? If the map was originally in Hexen or UDMF format, that could cause all the map vertices to get screwed up due to how those map formats save their vertex data. Try reopening the map as "Doom in Hexen"; if that doesn't work, try reopening it as "Doom in UDMF". (Note that you'll have to open the map fresh each time; you can't just change the format while the map is open.)

mikrani wrote: 2nd problem : by replacing a weapon. I merged a pistol wad with XWE to a map wad. It worked, the pistol is here, but I wanted it to be replaced by the original one, not having 2 kind of pistol.
Also is it possible to add heretic style weapon for doom wads? I tryed by it doens't worked.

I'm a little unsure of the problem. If I understand correctly, you're getting a custom pistol, but you want the original pistol? What's the "pistol wad" you used, and what's it do? If you just want to drop standard pistols into a map, you don't need a whole new weapon definition--you could make a WeaponGiver that provides the existing pistol.

Also, adding Heretic-style weapons into Doom is totally possible, though again, it depends on the map format you're using as well as a few other factors. Offhand I can't say why it's not working yet.

• mikrani
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
8 years 5 months ago #5 by mikrani
1) I opened the map in hexen format with gzdoom builder and it worked! can't thank you enough! :grin:

2) About the weapon trouble : Apologies, I meant that I want to replace the original pistol skin by the new one : The Angled Pistol.
I only managed to have both, instead of removing the original pistol.

I also tryed again with heretic style weapons, some are working without any problem, but most of them are not. And I must say I realy want to try them. Like the Blood Scepter, I tryed to merge it with XWE but nothing happen. Is there another way to replace a weapon?

• MagicWazard
More
8 years 5 months ago #6 by MagicWazard
If you want to replace the pistol that a player starts with, that gets a little bit more complicated. Any weapon or item given directly to a player class as starting gear isn't affected by the "replace" property--players are always given the "original" version of the item before replacements are applied. This means that you'll have to create a new version of the player class with a modified list of starting items. Then, since player classes can't replace other player classes like most other actor types, you'll have to modify MAPINFO to make your new player class selectable at game start instead of the original player class. It's not hard, but there's a couple steps involved.

Here's a quick example.

In DECORATE, create a new player class that inherits from DoomPlayer, and give it your new starting pistol. Inheriting from the original class means you don't have to redefine most of the basic properties.
Code:
actor NewDoomPlayer : DoomPlayer { Player.StartItem "AngledPistol" Player.StartItem "Fist" Player.StartItem "Clip", 50 Player.WeaponSlot 2, AngledPistol }

Then, in MAPINFO, create a GAMEINFO block that makes your new player class the selectable class. If you don't do this, then you'll default to using the original player class, and you'll get the original pistol still!
Code:
gameinfo { PlayerClasses = "NewDoomPlayer" }

Lastly, to make sure your new player's real-time lights work correctly in GZDoom, add this to GLDEFS; otherwise, your new player won't cast lights when shooting.
Code:
Object NewDoomPlayer { frame PLAYF { light ZOMBIEATK } }

Let me know if this works!

• mikrani
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #7 by mikrani
Well, it didn't work, maybe(surely) because I did it wrong, check the picture.

As you can see, I added the sentences in DECORATE of ''the Angled pistol'' wad

Then the second sentence in the begining of the MAPINFO of the map wad, And I had a fatal error when running the map with zdoom. WAD is sunlust megawad.

And can you explain me what is GLDEFS?

thanks
Attachments:

• MagicWazard
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #8 by MagicWazard

mikrani wrote: Well, it didn't work, maybe(surely) because I did it wrong, check the picture.

As you can see, I added the sentences in DECORATE of ''the Angled pistol'' wad

Then the second sentence in the begining of the MAPINFO of the map wad, And I had a fatal error when running the map with zdoom. WAD is sunlust megawad.

And can you explain me what is GLDEFS?

thanks

Yeah, for your default map section, you need brackets before and after "nocrouch" and "nojump". So like this:
Code:
defaultmap { nocrouch nojump }

It looks like all the individual map definitions will probably cause the same problem, judging from the picture. Right now they're all:
Code:
map <name> <map stuff>

when they should have brackets like this:
Code:
map <name> { <map stuff> }

Also, you put your definition for NewDoomPlayer INSIDE of the definition for AngledPistol. It's grouped in with AngledPistol's states. ZDoom's going to throw an error for that, too. Make sure that your definition for NewDoomPlayer is past the brackets for AngledPistol. Don't forget also that you can put empty blank lines in between actor definitions to put space between blocks of code and keep organization tidy.

Anyways, I'd suggest working out the details of the pistol before you start messing around with custom maps, just because that way you'll have fewer variables to worry about when trying to get this stuff working. Don't forget that ZDoom allows you to load as many custom WADs and PK3s at once as you want, so you can load the pistol up separately from the map pack once they are both proven to work individually.

GLDEFS , in a nutshell, manages some GZDoom graphics features such as real-time lighting and brightmaps. They aren't necessary to run, but they look cool.
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by MagicWazard.

• mikrani
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
8 years 5 months ago #9 by mikrani
Hello,

I created a MAPINFO inside the weapon wad and it worked fine. It also solved my trouble with heretic style weapon.
Thank you very much.

I have another question if you don't mind.

I want to replace a enemy category to another one.
For exemple, the imp to another monster like the Cybruiser.
Is it possible to select all imp from a map at once? not selecting them one by one? because some map contain several of them.

Thanks again.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #10 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic Looking for help adding mobs & weaps
One better way to do it is like this:
Code:
ACTOR DoomImpReplacer : RandomSpawner replaces DoomImp { DropItem "Cybruiser" }
With that, all instances of the imp are replaced with cybruisers.

For reference: http://zdoom.org/wiki/Classes:RandomSpawner