header general

[SUBMISSION] PSX Nightmare Monster Collection

• anonymoose
  • anonymoose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 week 22 minutes ago #1 by anonymoose

This is a collection of faster, harder to see, and harder to kill 'nightmare' monsters inspred by PSX Doom and Doom 64. They behave similarly to their normal counterparts, but have some adjustments which make them more threatening.
The roster has been expanded to include:
  • Nightmare Imp
  • Nightmare Cacodemon
  • Nightmare Spectre
  • Nightmare Elemental
  • Nightmare Souls
  • Nightmare Archvile
  • The Nightmare Imp is faster, and throws a much faster semi-translucent deep purple energy ball.
  • The Nightmare Cacodemon pursues faster, and more often. It fires 2 energy balls in rapid succession.
  • The Nightmare Spectre is the same as it's PSX counterpart created by Williams Entertainment.
  • The Nightmare Elemental fires Nightmare Souls, creating a dangerous situation in dark rooms.
  • The Nightmare Archvile is even more challenging to avoid with a lower painchance and higher health, as well as a nightmare version of the vile attack which obscures vision considerably.

This special collection also includes a base actor modifying script which allows nightmare monsters to spawn in packs rather than being replaced at random. Any eligible monsters of a different species that are near another nightmare monster will also be converted using the A_RadiusGive function. If a room filled with Cacodemons also contains a Pain Elemental, and one of the monsters in the room happens to become a nightmare variant (small chance), then all eligible monsters close enough will become their nightmare variants. The nightmare variant token does not, however spread from one actor to another, similar to the way a virus would. Thus there will be some slight imperfections, but this is an easy, hacky way of injecting some random fun into darker, PSX, or D64 style levels.

Name: PSX Nightmare Monster Collection
Difficulty: Easy-Hard
Connections: Nightmare Monsters
Summon: NightmareImp, NightmareCacodemon, NightmareSpectre, NightmareSoul, NightmareElemental, NightmareArchvile
Brightmaps: n/a
Actor modification: Included Spawn script may be deactivated
ACS: No
Credits: Anonymoose
Code: Anonymoose
Sounds: Doom IWAD
Sprites: Doom IWAD
Idea Base: PSX Doom / Doom 64 Nightmare monsters - Williams Entertainment

File Attachment:

File Name: PSX Nightm...tion.zip
File Size:21 KB
Last edit: 1 week 22 minutes ago by anonymoose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #2 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [SUBMISSION] PSX Nightmare Monster Collection
I'm getting these errors on startup:
Code:
Script warning, "PSX Nightmare Monster Collection.pk3:zscript/nightmareimp.zcs" line 39: Accessing deprecated function A_CustomMissile - deprecated since 2.3.0, Use A_SpawnProjectile() instead Brightmap 'brightmaps/doom/100.png' not found in texture 'SKULJ0' Brightmap 'brightmaps/doom/100.png' not found in texture 'SKULK0'

• anonymoose
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3 by anonymoose
Replied by anonymoose on topic [SUBMISSION] PSX Nightmare Monster Collection

I'm getting these errors on startup:
Code:
Script warning, "PSX Nightmare Monster Collection.pk3:zscript/nightmareimp.zcs" line 39: Accessing deprecated function A_CustomMissile - deprecated since 2.3.0, Use A_SpawnProjectile() instead Brightmap 'brightmaps/doom/100.png' not found in texture 'SKULJ0' Brightmap 'brightmaps/doom/100.png' not found in texture 'SKULK0'

I'm not sure what I was thinking including brightmaps. They've been removed in the update I uploaded. I also fixed the warning. I was following along with an older nightmare imp actor from a PSX Doom-style mod/wad.

• mattbratt11
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #4 by mattbratt11
Replied by mattbratt11 on topic [SUBMISSION] PSX Nightmare Monster Collection
I like your idea of Nightmare Monsters posted here.
It seems you loved the idea of my bigger-expanding Nightmare Monster Pack that also contains Zombies and Bosses such as Hell Knights, Barons of Hell, ZombieMen, ShotgunGuys, ChaingunGuys, Arachnotrons, Mancubi, Revenants, Cyberdemons, Masterminds, etc.
My Nightmare Monster Pack is located in TSPG like here:
Matt's Nightmare Monster Pack

• anonymoose
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #5 by anonymoose

I like your idea of Nightmare Monsters posted here.
It seems you loved the idea of my bigger-expanding Nightmare Monster Pack that also contains Zombies and Bosses such as Hell Knights, Barons of Hell, ZombieMen, ShotgunGuys, ChaingunGuys, Arachnotrons, Mancubi, Revenants, Cyberdemons, Masterminds, etc.
My Nightmare Monster Pack is located in TSPG like here:
Matt's Nightmare Monster Pack

Oh, I'm sorry to say that I was not aware of your pack. Although I'm certain I wasn't the first person to attempt expanding the Nightmare monster list from Imps and Demons. I was actually inspired by PSX Doom Master edition which includes Nightmare versions of the Caco, Arachnotron, Mancubus, Baron/hellknight etc.

The pack spawning script I included is a concept I had many years back while working on a different project. I think it works here really well here

• Doomenstein
  • Imp
  • Imp
More
2 weeks 3 days ago #6 by Doomenstein
Replied by Doomenstein on topic [SUBMISSION] PSX Nightmare Monster Collection
Where's the download button

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
2 weeks 2 days ago - 2 weeks 2 days ago #7 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [SUBMISSION] PSX Nightmare Monster Collection

Looks like all links to attachments have been lost in the forum update.
The attachments themselves should still be there, at least my are. But the links seem to be gone.

edit: hmm, some other old posts have kept their file attachments, so maybe this one was removed by the author?
Last edit: 2 weeks 2 days ago by DeVloek.

• anonymoose
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
2 weeks 1 day ago - 2 weeks 1 day ago #8 by anonymoose

Looks like all links to attachments have been lost in the forum update.
The attachments themselves should still be there, at least my are. But the links seem to be gone.

edit: hmm, some other old posts have kept their file attachments, so maybe this one was removed by the author?

Nothing removed by me. Something changed during the forum transition. I'm able to edit my original post(s), but all of the formatting options are greyed out.
Anyhow, here's a link to the PSX Nightmare monster collection for now: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11GsspQKd6O24zOCMrxMr5JyNS3xOYTdW/view?usp=sharing
Last edit: 2 weeks 1 day ago by anonymoose.

• Gothic
More
1 week 2 days ago #9 by Gothic
The Monster Pack spawners add to the monster count due to inheriting from monsters, and since you can't kill them they will never be reduced from the monster count. Honestly, I would just get rid of them, I don't find that effect very interesting or useful.
The Nightmare Cacodemon balls looks exactly like the Nightmare Imp's. Also for some reason it has a 50% chance of going back to its See state when attacking. If you want to reduce its aggressiveness, use the MinMissileChance property.

• mattbratt11
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
1 week 19 hours ago #10 by mattbratt11
Replied by mattbratt11 on topic [SUBMISSION] PSX Nightmare Monster Collection
As you mentioned PSX Doom Master Edition GEC, do you mean PSXDoom CE from ModDB?