[SUBMISSION] PSX Nightmare Monster Collection

• anonymoose
  • anonymoose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
1 week 1 hour ago - 1 week 38 minutes ago #11 by anonymoose
Replied by anonymoose on topic [SUBMISSION] PSX Nightmare Monster Collection

As you mentioned PSX Doom Master Edition GEC, do you mean PSXDoom CE from ModDB?

PSXDoom CE is a great mod, but it does not contain any Nightmare Monsters aside from the Imp and Spectre (unlike Doom 64 CE). I was referring to this project [GEC] Master Edition PSX Doom , which includes Nightmare variants of every monster.

The Monster Pack spawners add to the monster count due to inheriting from monsters, and since you can't kill them they will never be reduced from the monster count. Honestly, I would just get rid of them, I don't find that effect very interesting or useful.
The Nightmare Cacodemon balls looks exactly like the Nightmare Imp's. Also for some reason it has a 50% chance of going back to its See state when attacking. If you want to reduce its aggressiveness, use the MinMissileChance property.

Not sure why I forgot the -COUNTKILL flag, monster counts are now unaffected.
I personally find the group spawning effect quite satisfying. It gels with the map so much better when a monster closet opens and it's not just 1 or 2 Monsters inside that randomly turned into a Nightmare Monster. It's the closest feeling to 'intentional placement' that can be achieved without hand placing monster variants on a map. I'm sorry that you don't enjoy it.
Yes, the Nightmare Cacodemon balls look exactly like the Nightmare Imp's balls. The Baron and Hell Knight Balls look the same too. I tried to make another deep purple ball, but they looked similar enough, so I decided to use the same sprites. The Vanilla Imp Ball and Cacodemon Ball sprites are identical save for about three swapped colors. I did preserve the fact that they have a different Impact Puff sprites, so they are distinguishable.
I've also adjusted the Nightmare Cacodemon to just use Missilemore. That 50% jump chance was a leftover from a different Nightmare Cacodemon implementation someone used to make it more aggressive.
Last edit: 1 week 38 minutes ago by anonymoose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.