• Gunslahyer_Pi
  • Gunslahyer_Pi's Avatar Topic Author
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
2 years 8 months ago - 2 years 7 months ago #1 by Gunslahyer_Pi
[REMOVED] Powerup/Item: Space Rebreather was created by Gunslahyer_Pi
Item post removed

Reason: Item was coded and .pk3 file packed identically to similar item already in gallery.

Creator's notes: Though it was my first attempt, I've decided to rework the sprite and keep it exclusively for my megawad.
Last edit: 2 years 7 months ago by Gunslahyer_Pi. Reason: Deleted - No Longer available

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gothic
More
2 years 7 months ago #2 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Powerup/Item: Space Rebreather
I get that this powerup is meant to be used on a specific kind of map, but this could save you from any kind of damaging area with the extreme damage type, like lava, a deep hole meant to be insta-kill, or boundary lines, not just space, because there is no "outer space" damage type.
Basically, it ends giving the illusion that this thing works in outer space, like making a sector with the deep water effect and calling it "zero gravity" and using a radiation suit as you space suit.
I'm not saying it shouldn't get approved because of this, just that this looks more like a workaround powerup than a proper powerup, like the other Rebreather , which does its job accordingly.
That being said, I think this is a cool powerup, but it has a couple of problems
  • It doesn't show up in game because you're using markers in a pk3, instead of using a "sprites" folder. Use one for the sounds too, named "sounds"
  • The sprites look very blurry, due to how you downscaled them. I edited the first frame if you're interested in using it:

• Gunslahyer_Pi
  • Gunslahyer_Pi's Avatar Topic Author
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
2 years 7 months ago #3 by Gunslahyer_Pi
Replied by Gunslahyer_Pi on topic [SUBMISSION] Powerup/Item: Space Rebreather
I understand your broad definition and point, however making every item do the exact same thing without authenticity is monotonous and quite frankly boring.

A radiation suit serves for lava, slime etc etc. A rebreather listed in the gallery is suitable for water yes, but let's face it, it would look ridiculous in a space themed map or episode.

As for format of the .pk3. I copied the guidelines and adhered to them also using the water rebreather Decorate as a template to code my own item.

Thank you for your honest feedback but I honestly think you were grasping at invisible straws.

Item removed.