• KILLA DIO
  • KILLA DIO's Avatar Topic Author
  • Lost Soul
  • Lost Soul
More
2 years 3 months ago #1 by KILLA DIO
[SUBMISSION] Cardboard Box was created by KILLA DIO
Credits:
Code: KILLA DIO, Ghastly_dragon (Code from Icon Of The Raven)
GLDefs: None
Sounds: Coral_Island_Studios (Freesound.org)
Sprites: Konami, ID software, KILLA DIO
Sprite Edit: KILLA DIO
Idea Base: Metal Gear Solid

Information:
Name: Cardboard Box
Type: Transformation / Stealth
Palette: Doom
Summon: Carbox
Use type: Inventory
Duration: 60 seconds
Brightmaps: No
Actor modification: No
ACS: No

Description:
A cardboard box. Using this item makes enemies have a harder time spotting you

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v9BDDtTZ6NoqLh4hH7Ai19n-UiUtgHOi/view?usp=sharing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• inkoalawetrust
More
2 years 3 months ago #2 by inkoalawetrust
Replied by inkoalawetrust on topic [SUBMISSION] Cardboard Box
There's several issues with this.
  1. The box has no editor numbers or keys (Not really a big problem, but your Pentagram of Power does have a number, so I don't know why this doesn't.)
  2. Giving the morphed player the NEVERTARGET flag is a bit too extreme and overpowered, just giving them SHADOW, CANTSEEK, and NOTARGET is enough.
  3. The cardboard box sprites are a bit too big, especially when you put it on, making it look dumber than it did in Metal Gear lol. So it may be a good idea to make the visual scale of the BoxPlayer a bit lower.
  4. The player is frankly too fast when in the box, you don't seem to have your speed lowered at all, like you would expect when crawling inside a box. You also are able to jump just as high as you normally can, in fact, how come you are able to jump while in the box, but not crouch to fully hide inside ? You should set the BoxPLayer's CrouchSprite to CBOX too for when the player crouches.
  5. The Sounds folder has a copy of the SNDINFO for your Revenant Skull for some reason, and the DECORATE definition also has an unused BoxInvisibility powerup.

• KILLA DIO
  • Lost Soul
  • Lost Soul
More
2 years 3 months ago #3 by KILLA DIO
Replied by KILLA DIO on topic [SUBMISSION] Cardboard Box
I'm not going to change a few of these things because It does very much feel like your personal preference rather than objective issues. I don't normaly do editor numbers because A) A lot of other submissions already in the repository don't have them and B) That should be for the mapper to decide to prevent having 2 actors with the same number. I don't think NEVERTARGET is overpowered because the player is stuck moving at reduced speed with no way to attack, and enemies can still target the player. As for the crouching, Crouch being turned off is the default for transformations and I don't see the point in adding extra limitations or abilities, especially for crouch which would be a cosmetic addition.

• inkoalawetrust
More
2 years 2 months ago #4 by inkoalawetrust
Replied by inkoalawetrust on topic [SUBMISSION] Cardboard Box
Alright, you can keep the size of the box if you want, and the current speed too I guess. As for NEVERTARGET, it seems to be useless on players either way for some reason, after I checked the source code for GZDoom. I found out that it apparently only prevents NPCs from attacking other NPCs with that flag. But doesn't check for it in players like I expected it to by the name of the flag. Which is pretty counterintuitive lol.

And about crouching, yeah I found out about half an hour after making my last reply, that morphed players can't crouch. But forgot to edit my post.

As for the editor numbers not being needed because other submissions don't have them. That was only done because they were sort of not allowed before. But like using PK3s for submissions, they are now allowed as well. And the reason I recommend adding editor numbers is for newbies that don't know or may even struggle to figure out how to add them themselves. If a modder that knows how to change editor numbers finds a conflict, changing them is trivial. But for someone who doesn't know DECORATE or ZScript, not so much. So it's better overall to just add some numbers.

And I'd wager the latter scenario is more likely because people using the submissions from this repository, code included. Are probably more likely to be noobs, because the perception of the site from most non-newbie modders - is that the code in Realm667 resources is an afterthought and should be discarded, and that the art assets like sprites and sounds are what you should be using from here. Which means that most experienced modders will probably not even bother to use the code of the resources, while noobs who haven't yet been taught from others to have this perception of Realm667 yet. Are more likely to use the resources wholesale, and then they end up having no idea why the cool weapon or monster they download won't appear in the editor.

Also, as part of editor numbers being allowed on Realm677, there is now an online document that anyone can read and comment on, and that me and Gothic can edit. Whose purpose is to keep track of all the editor numbers, to make sure that no Realm667 resource conflicts with the editor numbers of another one. Every time you or anyone else makes a submission with editor numbers, such as your Enforcer or Pentagram of Power. I cross-reference the numbers for any conflicts, and add the class names of the resources' actors, along with the corresponding numbers on the list if there isn't one, otherwise we'll ask for the number to be changed

Here is a link to the document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SMCkQVkf5mAOW878t86bkFdYB9Q9PGZXZbvT7FWx8K0/edit?usp=sharing.

• Gothic
More
2 years 2 months ago - 2 years 2 months ago #5 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Cardboard Box
I would complain that you can't get out of the box if you want to, but then again, you can't take the Radiation Suit off neither, plus it'd make this item overpowered. I think it would work better as a Build-like item, like the Night Vision Googles from Duke Nukem 3D, or the Jump Boots from Blood, which eventually run out the more you use them.
I have issues with the sprites, the inventory icon is too big, it needs a custom graphic to fit your HUD properly. Also the front and back frames don't show the other side of the box through the hole:

Here's a quick edit I made if you want to use them:

Another thing you may want to consider, maybe remove or change the bobbing of the box sprites on the HUD.
Last edit: 2 years 2 months ago by Gothic.

• Gothic
More
1 year 3 months ago #6 by Gothic
Any progress on this?

• KILLA DIO
  • Lost Soul
  • Lost Soul
More
1 year 1 month ago #7 by KILLA DIO
Replied by KILLA DIO on topic [SUBMISSION] Cardboard Box
Just logged back into this account for the first time in ages, I haven't modded doom in a while and I'm probably not going to update any of my existing submissions, feel free to delete or archive them, If I want to revisit old ideas I'm happy to make a new submission

• Gothic
More
1 year 1 month ago #8 by Gothic
Thanks for letting us know.