header general

[SUBMISSION] AI Marines (Intelligent marine NPCs)

• inkoalawetrust
  • inkoalawetrust's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 4 months ago #11 by inkoalawetrust
Replied by inkoalawetrust on topic [SUBMISSION] AI Marines (Intelligent marine NPCs)
Alright, the crouching mechanic is finished, tomorrow I'll be adding a new section to the demonstration map to demos this mechanic, along with also publicly updating the resource.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• inkoalawetrust
More
2 years 4 months ago #12 by inkoalawetrust
Replied by inkoalawetrust on topic [SUBMISSION] AI Marines (Intelligent marine NPCs)
The new update to the submission has been finished, now the marines can attack while dodging at the same time and also take cover behind level geometry and actors that can block both hitscans and projectiles. The demo map has also been updated, and I made a bunch of other changes too since last weeks' update. Such as adding liquid explosions to their grenades when they fall on a liquid surface.

The reason it took me so long to make this update was because of a combination of IRL issues and struggling, and eventually failing, to make the new bullet and explosion splashes actually detect swimmable 3D floors reliably.

Either way, the new download link is  in the original post. Also here's a video I recorded of 5 hostile marines fighting 25 friendly demons, including Hell Knights and Cacodemons. The video showcases them taking cover behind level geometry and objects, and dodging projectiles and sometimes also shooting while doing so. At around 45 seconds into the video you can also see one of the marines that is behind cover dodging a Hell Knight's fireballs by ducking back down again.

https://streamable.com/9ifqiz

All that aside, this should be the final version of the marines aside from small bugfixes and changes here and there. Just had to add those two major new features because I always wanted them from the start, but didn't realize I could actually code them in until two weeks ago. So this will be more or less the final version of the marines.

Warning: Spoiler!

• Gothic
More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #13 by Gothic
There's an error with the rifle, if you die while the zooming animation plays, the zoomed rifle stays and the screen flashes green.
Grenades spawned by marines keep making bounce sounds even if they stay still on the floor.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by Gothic.

• inkoalawetrust
More
2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 4 months ago #14 by inkoalawetrust
Alright, I made a new update to the marine that along with fixing a bunch of things like the marines trying to dodge harmless projectiles like Hexen's leaves, or the bugs that you reported. Also adds a new No Crouch Zone map spot, that can be used to prevent marines from crouching in certain areas such as certain staircases. Which as a bit of emergent gameplay, they tend to do, it had not even crossed my mind that they would be using staircases as cover.

More information on it is inside Document.txt.

And here is the changelog for 1.2.1

Also, it seems that the site is broken, and does not allow me to make new threads, or make new posts on the full editor. So I have to use the quick reply editor to even post this. If this bug isn't gone by tomorrow we'll probably need to tell Tormentor. Weirdly enough though, I can bring up the full page editor to edit existing posts such as this one just fine.
Last edit: 2 years 4 months ago by inkoalawetrust.

• inkoalawetrust
More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #15 by inkoalawetrust
Alright, posting on the forum works again after I reported the issue to Tormentor. Now that GZDoom 4.8.0 is out earlier than expected, I'm working on the optimization update I had planned for when it comes out. It's mostly optimizations and code cleanups as you can probably guess. And also an overhaul to the friendly marine commands, to split the "Wander" command into actual wandering, and into a new following command, that makes the marine follow the player that pressed use on them. Hopefully I will finish it by tomorrow. And not end up taking way longer due to coding complications and life issues like last time. This is the changelog so far:

Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by inkoalawetrust.

• inkoalawetrust
More
2 years 3 months ago #16 by inkoalawetrust
Alright, the 1.3.0 update is finished . I had also finished the optimization update I mentioned last week, but didn't update the submission until I finished the new squad system. The information on the squad system is written down in the document.txt file.

This is the final major update to the marines until TG5 finishes the sprites for the rocket launcher armed marines.

Also, here are some screenshots of the marine squads (Only friendly marine squads display icons over their heads.):

• Gothic
More
2 years 2 months ago #17 by Gothic