[SUBMISSION] Military Vehicles Pack

• inkoalawetrust
  • inkoalawetrust's Avatar Topic Author
More
2 years 1 month ago - 2 years 1 week ago #1 by inkoalawetrust
[SUBMISSION] Military Vehicles Pack was created by inkoalawetrust
Information:
Name: Military Vehicles Pack
Difficulty: Varies, Easy/Medium (Army Car), Very Easy/Medium (Army Truck)
Connections: AI/Smart Marines (Falls back to ZDoom marines otherwise, who completely suck, so use the AI Marines)
Summon: MVP_ArmyCar, MVP_ArmyCarProp, MVP_ArmyCarWreck, MVP_PainRayWreck, MVP_ArmyCarRuin
Melee: Army Truck (Optionally rams enemies)
Distance:
- Army Car: AOE: Pain Ray (Stuns weak enemies), Summon: Drops 3 marines
- Army Truck: Summon: Drops 14 marines
Type: Human, Military (No way), Machine, Vehicle (:O)
Brightmaps: No
Actor modification: No, only interfaces with the AI/Smart Marines (e.g to tell them to avoid vehicle AOE attacks)
ACS: No

Credits:
Code: Inkoalawetrust
GLDEFS: Inkoalawetrust
Sounds: GDC Audio Library, FreeSound.org, freesfx.co.uk, Inkoalawetrust
Sprites: Inkoalawetrust (All vehicle sprites), Duke Nukem 3D (Fire sprites), Tormentor667 and Solarsnowfall (Spark sprites)
Idea Base: I've had this project in my mind for years.

Description:
A pack of military vehicle NPCs that can be used both as allies and as enemies. The pack currently only contains two vehicles. But more will be added in the future, it is HEAVILY recommended that you use this resource along with the AI/Smart Marines resource for the best experience with vehicles that spawn troops.
Read the included documentation files for actual information on how to use the resource. And play through the included demonstration map to see them in action, and/or to get ideas on how to use the vehicles for scripted sequences.

Sprite:

(Embeds are currently broken.)
Army Car Showcase Video:
Code:
https://youtu.be/1droRFw7LEo

Army Truck Showcase Video:

Download link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13alVDvsYqB1Hqn9DXeBIvNiVBmpWEmOv/view?usp=sharing

Here is my latest project, currently only the Army Car and Truck finished, but I'll be adding more vehicles in the future. The AI Marines are 100% NEEDED for the MVP to work correctly, otherwise, the resource will fall back to using the default ZDoom marines, who are WAY more of a liability than actual allies that the troop carrying vehicles move around and drop.
Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by inkoalawetrust. Reason: The showcase video for the truck has been finished.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gothic
More
2 years 1 month ago #2 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Military Vehicles Pack
The upper part of the vehicle looks weird, some of its sprites lack textures, and that zoomed in texture doesn't look good. I'd also suggest to make the short wreck props non solid.
It's a well done made set of vehicles, although seeing cars moving around like Doom monsters looks kind of silly.
Have you considered using 3D models for the vehicles, or you want to stick with sprites?

• inkoalawetrust
More
2 years 1 month ago #3 by inkoalawetrust
Replied by inkoalawetrust on topic [SUBMISSION] Military Vehicles Pack
What do you mean that the upper part of the vehicle looks weird ? Are you talking about the pain ray ? And what sprites do you think lack textures ? I'm guessing you are referring to the back of the pain ray. I have no idea what texture seems zoomed in though. As for making the XDeath prop of the car non-solid, I don't think so, since the vehicles are so much bigger, and the gibbed car wreck is still pretty big.

It's a well done made set of vehicles, although seeing cars moving around like Doom monsters looks kind of silly.

Well, I can't do anything about that, since I'm nowhere near knowledgeable enough to make and use a completely new movement system. If I could, I would've probably been able to also make actual pathfinding, which I would've done if I could.

Have you considered using 3D models for the vehicles, or you want to stick with sprites?

I already covered the reason for why I don't want to use models in Doom in the submission thread for the old tank (Which I'll be remaking once I finish all the other vehicles first.).

But the TL;DR is, the models are too high poly (The car has 8000 triangles for example), use features GZDoom doesn't support at all (The army car in particular uses multiple UV maps for stuff like the front grill, which is a texture.), and would also generally look hugely out of place when surrounded by 2D sprites, not to mention that their movement would be even more jarring, as they snap around in only 8 different angles as they move.

• inkoalawetrust
More
2 years 3 weeks ago - 2 years 3 weeks ago #4 by inkoalawetrust
I have begun working on the next vehicle, I've been working on making the Army Truck every since finishing the initial version. Now the sprites are complete, so I'm moving unto coding the vehicle.

(Can't embed the images since embeds are broken.)
Code:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/762804188807168010/1018796787219300382/Spin.gif https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/762804188807168010/1018796787454201897/Animated.gif https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/762804188807168010/1018796787697455146/Death.gif https://i.imgur.com/MOu9Xat.png
Last edit: 2 years 3 weeks ago by inkoalawetrust.

• inkoalawetrust
More
2 years 2 weeks ago - 2 years 1 week ago #5 by inkoalawetrust
The mod has been updated to version 0.2.0, which adds the next vehicle in the pack, the Army Truck. Along with making a bunch of other improvements and changes to the mod.

I will also be updating the marines to version 1.3.5.

Edit: The marines have been updated to version 1.3.5.
Last edit: 2 years 1 week ago by inkoalawetrust. Reason: Updated the marines.

• Gothic
More
1 year 9 months ago #6 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Military Vehicles Pack