header general

[Submission] The Eyes Pack (Wander Eye Update)

• doomedarchviledemon
  • doomedarchviledemon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
1 year 9 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #1 by doomedarchviledemon
[Submission] The Eyes Pack (Wander Eye Update) was created by doomedarchviledemon
Name: Wandering Eye
Connection: Evileye
Palette: Doom
Summon: Wanderingeye
Ambient Sounds: No
De-/Activatable: No
Destroyable: Yes
Special Effects: None
Brightmaps: None
Actor Modifications: None
ACS: None

Descrpition: A floating eye that wanders the planes of hell. Unlike its more
developed kin these eyes typically do not engage with others and simply keep
watch over the hellscape.

Name: Hungry Eye
Difficulty: Easy
Connection: Wandering Eye and Evileye
Palette: Doom
Summon: Hungryeye
Melee: Yes
Distance: No
Brightmaps: None
Added States: No
ACS: None

Description: A slightly older Wandering Eye that has grown a mouth behind its
eye. It hangs around younger Wandering Eyes and hides among them and acts as
defenders of the pack. They are very effective at hiding due to their mouths
being completely hidden until a threat gets too close, at which they will expose
their mouths in a blink of an eye, quite literally. This makes them excellent
stealth hunters while in groups of other eyes since they will only attack when
enemies get too close.

Credits:
Wandering and Hungry Eyes
Submitted: TheDoomedArchvile
Decorate: TheDoomedArchvile
Sounds: Doom 2, Doom 64, TheDoomedArchvile
Sprites: JoeyTD
Sprite Edits: TheDoomedArchvile
Idea Base (Wandering Eye): Population critter fitting for hell or other-worldly areas
Idea Base (Hungry Eye): An older and more developed Wandering Eye
Note: This pack comes with 1 prop creature (Wandering Eye) and 1 enemy monster (Hungry Eye)

The Eyes Pack
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by doomedarchviledemon. Reason: Updated based on feedback

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gothic
More
1 year 9 months ago #2 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [Submission] Hungry Eye
Try replacing A_JumpifCloser with A_JumpIfTargetinLOS, like this:
Code:
A_JumpIfTargetinLOS("EyeChaseStart",0,JLOSF_DEADNOJUMP|JLOSF_COMBATANTONLY,200,0)

• doomedarchviledemon
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
1 year 9 months ago #3 by doomedarchviledemon
Replied by doomedarchviledemon on topic [Submission] Hungry Eye
I included the new piece of code but that didn't fully fix the issue.Turns out I was doing a bad from the start. After staring at the code for a bit longer I figured out that it was because I had it go into the See state straight away after spawning and setting it to A_Wander. Since this was made from the Wandering Eye I didn't bother changing too much from the original code when I should have. I've updated this so that the A_Wander occurs in the Spawn and calls A_Look after it cycles through its animation. Its behavior is now working as intended.
Aside from this issue, now fixed, any general feedback is welcome.

• Gothic
More
1 year 9 months ago #4 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [Submission] Hungry Eye
I think it reacts too slowly to your presence, maybe it should call A_Look more often like this:
Code:
Spawn:             EVEY AA 5 A_Wander             TNT1 A 0 A_Look             EVEY BB 5 A_Wander             TNT1 A 0 A_Look             EVEY CC 5 A_Wander             TNT1 A 0 A_Look             EVEY BB 5 A_Wander             TNT1 A 0 A_Look             loop
Unless it is intended to behave that way.

• doomedarchviledemon
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
1 year 8 months ago #5 by doomedarchviledemon
Replied by doomedarchviledemon on topic [Submission] Hungry Eye
Updated, had to make a little further adjustments to make sure the animation was seamless between the Spawn and See state to make sure it couldn't be easily distinguished in a group of Wandering Eyes.

• inkoalawetrust
More
1 year 8 months ago #6 by inkoalawetrust
Replied by inkoalawetrust on topic [Submission] Hungry Eye
Looking at this and the Wandering Eye , it might be better to merge the two submissions into one, since the idea base for this one is listed as basically being an update to the Wandering Eyes, and it also reuses most of the same code and assets as the Wandering Eyes. Alternatively, you should mention the Wandering Eye as a connection perhaps, since it's just as connected to that as it is to the vanilla Evil Eye decorations.

As for the submission itself, it should probably be listed under the Monsters tab unless you plan to make more stuff for the "Demons" folder. Since currently it sits on its' own exclusive editor folder.

It also seems that the LOS check only works if the player is within a certain FOV, even though the FOV parameter is at 0. Not sure why that is.

Besides that though I don't see (Ba dum tss) anything wrong with it. Though I would suggest expanding what causes them to chase the player, such as making it so hungry eyes in particular will also chase (Or have a chance to do so.) whatever enemy hurt them and made them enter their Pain state. Maybe also make them chase their target for a certain amount of time instead of giving up once you are outside of the 200 map unit radius ?

• doomedarchviledemon
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
1 year 6 months ago #7 by doomedarchviledemon
Replied by doomedarchviledemon on topic [Submission] The Eyes Pack (Wander Eye Update)
Updated

I was a little iffy on making this an update to the Wandering Eyes since they are meant to be exclusively a population creature, but bundling them together does make sense. In this case, I've included a note stating that this monster comes with a population creature. If I make any other Eye monsters I'll update this pack going forwards.
The connections now list the Wandering Eyes, changed the 'Demons' to 'Monsters' in the tag, and updated how the Hungry Eye stops chasing. Instead of immediately stopping its chase when the player moves more than 200 map units away it will have a 75% chance to continue chasing the player. I still wanted their behavior to not be super aggressive if the player is not near them, so I think this is a good in between.

• inkoalawetrust
More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #8 by inkoalawetrust
Replied by inkoalawetrust on topic [Submission] The Eyes Pack (Wander Eye Update)
The thumbnail doesn't seem to be accessible. Also, the sprite offsets should probably use the Monster preset in SLADE instead of the Projectile one. Since it causes a discrepancy in where the eyes appear to be and where they actually are, which also makes shooting them harder. Also maybe add a space on the "Living Props" category the Wandering eyes are in. The Pain state also uses the FRIGHTENED flag to make the eyes run away, but it calls A_Wander, which doesn't do anything with the FRIGHTENED flag, so try calling A_Chase instead, to make the eye run away from its' target.

Besides that I don't see any issues. I do have a suggestion for the teleporting effect though, perhaps you could turn on the THRUACTORS flag when the eyes teleport. That way they can walk through other actors and monsters, instead of walking around them like normal.
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by inkoalawetrust.

• doomedarchviledemon
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
1 year 6 months ago #9 by doomedarchviledemon
Replied by doomedarchviledemon on topic [Submission] The Eyes Pack (Wander Eye Update)
Updated

Whoops, yes that was my bad on offsetting it to a projectile. No idea how I didn't notice or think of that. Other feedback points addressed. I also uploaded the preview image to a different site so hopefully it is appearing now? It was displaying on my end at least so fingers crossed.

• Gothic
More
1 year 6 months ago #10 by Gothic
Added
Merged with the Wandering Eyes, and moved to the Beastiary