Summon: DoubleBarrelPumpGun
Ammo Type: shells
Altfire: no
Powered Mode: no
Brightmaps: no
Actor modification: no
ACS: no

Credits:
Code: Warchild (general), Gothic (very useful advices)
GLDefs: none
Sounds: Joblez (firing sound), Jerry Miculek & Captain J (reload sounds)
Sprites: Marty Kirra
Sprite Edit: Marty Kirra
Idea Base: based on a real weapon model (I guess)

Description:
An angled double barrel pumpgun, more powerful than the super shotgun but 
spreads too much and reload speed takes slightly longer. Kills a Hell Baron with
only 4 shots and Pain Elementals with 2. Therefore it shines in close combat
unless you are being overrun by high tier enemies. Weaker in mid range due to
the spread and almost useless in wide range.

Sprite:
 hud sprite: https://tinypic.host/i/dbpga0.OIp5e
Pickup sprite: https://tinypic.host/i/shotm0.OIKj5

Download Link:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SytHAhEVKoD1hMT_r8RnziD7DOlm-XjY/view?usp=share_link

watch it in action (deprecated v1.0): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS_sHLm6w94
Last edit: 1 year 9 months ago by Warchild.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gothic
More
1 year 9 months ago #2 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Double Barrel Pumpgun
Not much different from the Doom 2 SSG, except that it does more damage. I think we have too many similar shotguns on the armory, but that's just my opinion.
At least you could use new sounds (please don't use Freedoom sounds, they've been used so many times already).
The pickup sprite is too high res and looks out of place. Here's a downscaled version if you want to use it:

Attachment not found

Your submission needs to be in pk3 format, not wad, and needs the INFO and CREDITS inside your file.
The weapon calls for a non existent "shotgunpuff" actor, it should use "bulletpuff" instead.

• Warchild
  • Warchild's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
1 year 9 months ago #3 by Warchild
Replied by Warchild on topic [SUBMISSION] Double Barrel Pumpgun
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. Feedback is actually hard to come by nowadays...or is it just me....

updated the link to the new pk3 file.
credited you for the pickup sprite. The original was actually some ugly random google image anyway.

The sounds remain the same from Doom 2 SSG for now, don´t have other sounds available I see fit.

I know I did not invent something totally new but the weapon works as intended and I had it laying around on my hard drive for at least a decade, so why not share?

Wider spread makes it inferior to Doom 2 SSG, but it reloads slightly faster and has a bit more power. And it´s angled, obviously.

The weapon is actually a downgrade from a "Particle fire enhancer only" version with actual real tracer bullets to a vanilla compatible hitscan version.

• Gothic
More
1 year 9 months ago #4 by Gothic

The sounds remain the same from Doom 2 SSG for now, don´t have other sounds available I see fit.

Doing some searching on the ZDoom forums, I found a couple of sounds that I think they could fit, if you want to use them:

Attachment not found

I think the animation for the firing state could use some work, here's how I'd do it to look better:
Code:
    Fire:         DBPG A 1         TNT1 A 0 A_PlaySound ("weapons/sshotf",CHAN_WEAPON)//"DoublePumpGun/Fire"         TNT1 A 0 A_GunFlash         TNT1 A 0 A_ZoomFactor(0.97,ZOOM_NOSCALETURNING)         TNT1 A 0 A_Recoil(6)         SHOT B 2 Bright A_FireBullets (11.2, 7.1, 30, 5, "bulletpuff")         SHOT F 3 A_ZoomFactor(1.0)         SHOT EDC 3         DBPG A 3         DBPG A 1 A_CheckReload         SHOT DEG 3         SHOT H 5 A_PlaySoundEx("weapons/sshoto", 7)//"DoublePumpGun/Open"         SHOT I 3         SHOT J 5 A_PlaySoundEx("weapons/sshotl", 7)//"DoublePumpGun/Load"         SHOT K 3         SHOT J 5 A_PlaySoundEx("weapons/sshotl", 7)//"DoublePumpGun/Load"         SHOT L 3         SHOT F 4 A_PlaySoundEx("weapons/sshoto", 7)//"DoublePumpGun/Close"         SHOT EDC 3         DBPG A 2         DBPG A 1 A_Refire         Goto Ready     Flash:         TNT1 A 2 A_Light1         TNT1 A 2 A_Light2         Goto LightDone
Besides the change of order in the frames, I also changes some functions:
  • Instead of using A_Quake to shake the screen, it uses A_ZoomFactor.
  • All the functions that play when firing were moved before the firing function, so there's no delay between them.
  • A_CheckReload was moved before the reloading animation, so it checks if there's ammo left before playing the rest of the frames, which is the way the vanilla SSG does it.
  • The reloading sounds play on a different channel, in case you want to use the sounds I linked before.
  • The flash state frames have a duration of 2 tics, so they don't skip in game.
The pickup sprite needs to be centered, like this:

• Warchild
  • Warchild's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
1 year 9 months ago #5 by Warchild
Replied by Warchild on topic [SUBMISSION] Double Barrel Pumpgun
Updated the file.

Added the sounds, centered the pickup sprite, added another code line to actually "hear" that 2 barrels are being shot, edited credits and description.

I only start to wonder where the definition of "vanilla" starts and ends. The gun seems way more polished than how it would have been in Doom Shareware back on the Amiga..... :D

• Gothic
More
1 year 9 months ago #6 by Gothic

I only start to wonder where the definition of "vanilla" starts and ends. The gun seems way more polished than how it would have been in Doom Shareware back on the Amiga..... :D

We really don't stick to a "vanilla" style, all weapons can have whatever amount of frames the submitter needs to use, and we let the modders decide if they want to remove them, or add more.
Though if you're worried about that, I would suggest removing the extra frame from the Select and Deselect states.

• Gothic
More
1 year 9 months ago #7 by Gothic