header general

[UPDATE] Military Vehicles Pack 0.3.0

• inkoalawetrust
  • inkoalawetrust's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #1 by inkoalawetrust
[UPDATE] Military Vehicles Pack 0.3.0 was created by inkoalawetrust
This is an update to the Military Vehicles Pack submission . It adds a new vehicle to the pack, the APC, which is the first vehicle in the pack that can be armed. It can either have an autocannon turret (And a small MG mounted on top), or a dual 50 .cal turret. It also has a ton of features, like being able to seek corpses and crush them to prevent Archviles from resurrecting them, being able to predict the trajectories of targets when its' turrets are firing so that they don't just dumb fire at whatever spot the target was at when the shot was made. And so on and so forth. Of course, the included demo map, and especially the written documentation, have been updated to explain all the new additions.

This update brings an absolutely huge amount of changes, so instead of listing them all here. Here is a link to the GitHub release log instead: https://github.com/inkoalawetrust/Military-Vehicles-Pack/releases/tag/0.3.0

Showcase video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbHNoUZze_w

Information (Updated):
Name: Military Vehicles Pack
Difficulty: Varies, Easy/Medium (Army Car), Very Easy/Medium (Army Truck), Medium/Hard (APC)
Connections: AI/Smart Marines (Falls back to ZDoom marines otherwise, who completely suck, so use the AI Marines)
Summon: MVP_ArmyCar, MVP_ArmyTruck, MVP_APC (Read the documentation for more actor names)
Melee: Army Truck (Optionally rams enemies)
Distance:
- Army Car: AOE: Pain Ray (Stuns weak enemies), Summon: Drops 3 marines
- Army Truck: Summon: Drops 14 marines
- APC: AOE/Projectile: Autocannon (Explosive shells) Projectile: Dual 50 .cal turret, Small MG mounted on the autocannon turret Summon: Drops 8 marines
Type: Human, Military (No way), Machine, Vehicle (:O)
Brightmaps: No
Actor modification: No, only interfaces with the AI/Smart Marines (e.g to tell them to avoid vehicle AOE attacks)
ACS: No

Description (Updated):
A pack of military vehicle NPCs that can be used both as allies and as enemies. Alot more vehicles will be added in the future, in the meantimte, it is HEAVILY recommended that you use this resource along with the AI/Smart Marines resource for the best experience with vehicles that spawn troops.
Read the included documentation files for actual information on how to use the resource. And play through the included demonstration map to see them in action, open the map file to get ideas on how to use the vehicles for scripted sequences etc.

Sprite (Replaced with an animated GIF):

Download link to the new version: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13alVDvsYqB1Hqn9DXeBIvNiVBmpWEmOv/view?usp=share_link
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by inkoalawetrust. Reason: Finally finished the showcase video.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Il Str
  • Shotgunner
  • Shotgunner
More
1 year 6 months ago #2 by Il Str
Replied by Il Str on topic [UPDATE] Military Vehicles Pack 0.3.0
Can I get the original 3D models?

• inkoalawetrust
More
1 year 6 months ago #3 by inkoalawetrust
Replied by inkoalawetrust on topic [UPDATE] Military Vehicles Pack 0.3.0

Can I get the original 3D models?
Probably not any time soon. I do plan to release them, but only when I'm done with making all of the vehicles. And that's a task I'm not even like 25% done with yet. The APC is the very first lethal vehicle in a pack that's supposed to be full of armed military vehicles. Even most of the code for this update was basically just setting up the foundation for all the vehicles in the mod going forward (With stuff like target prediction and corpse crushing).

Also lol you registered just to ask me this.

• Gunslahyer_Pi
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
1 year 6 months ago #4 by Gunslahyer_Pi
Replied by Gunslahyer_Pi on topic [UPDATE] Military Vehicles Pack 0.3.0
I don't know how I feel about this one.

It's not exactly or even Doom related. Shadow Warrior and Duke3D sure. But Doom? I really just can't feel it being related or relevant to title.

Given you've spent a lot of work on it and I can see it. So great job on your efforts.

I really don't see it being a Doom thing. 

Sorry brah.

• Gothic
More
1 year 6 months ago #5 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [UPDATE] Military Vehicles Pack 0.3.0
I'm getting this error when loading the map
Code:
MVP_DEMO - Military Vehicle Pack Demo VM execution aborted: tried to read from address zero. In function parameter "type" Called from Actor.SetInventory at gzdoom.pk3:zscript/actors/inventory_util.zs, line 224 Called from MVP_BaseVehicle.Tick at Military Vehicles Pack.pk3:zscript/vehicles/base/base.zsc, line 185 Called from MVP_BaseTurret.Tick at Military Vehicles Pack.pk3:zscript/vehicles/base/base.zsc, line 378 Called from MVP_APCAutocannon.Tick at Military Vehicles Pack.pk3:zscript/vehicles/apc/otheractors.zsc, line 184 Called from Actor.Spawn [Native]
I am using the latest GZDoom build, and I'm loading it with the AI Marines

• inkoalawetrust
More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #6 by inkoalawetrust
Edit: Wait, it happens even with the marines loaded ? Are you sure you're using the latest version ?

Oh oops, it happens because the MVP tries to give the new fear token he marines use to vehicles. Even if the token does not actually exist because the marines aren't loaded. I've already fixed it, and will look for more instances of this lack of sanity checks. But I'm currently working on the video, and have made a few more updates to the MVP. So I will release them as 0.3.1 once the video is done instead of right now.

Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by inkoalawetrust.

• Gothic
More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #7 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [UPDATE] Military Vehicles Pack 0.3.0

Are you sure you're using the latest version ?

Ah shit, that was it, I didn't notice the marines were updted.
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Gothic.

• inkoalawetrust
More
1 year 6 months ago #8 by inkoalawetrust
Okay, I have finished the APC showcase video, and also updated the mod to fix a bunch of bugs, including the VM aborts caused by Smart Marine tokens not existing.

I don't know how I feel about this one.

It's not exactly or even Doom related. Shadow Warrior and Duke3D sure. But Doom? I really just can't feel it being related or relevant to title.

I'm not sure how the vehicles' designs are THAT out of place in Doom. They don't exactly look identical to vanilla sprites or edits of them, but they aren't so jarringly different that most people would say "This doesn't look like it fits" at a glance I'd say. A lot of mods have assets that are about as jarring or even more so compared to stock Doom.

• inkoalawetrust
More
1 year 6 months ago #9 by inkoalawetrust
Apparently I'm fucking stupid, and forgot a line of debug code that I used on the APCs' death state that spawned in tech lamp props.

I've updated the mod to have that line removed, along with a few minor changes that I was saving up for an actual update.

• inkoalawetrust
More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #10 by inkoalawetrust
Okay, there has been another major update to the mod since last time, with a big overhaul on the code and a new joke vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLtzr4XU0X0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7TBvQGW7nc

Since this is an update for an already existing submission, and also because said submission has a score of 3.5/5 because the APC has still not been added, so people coming to the site that 0.2.0 is the final version. And Gothic hasn't looked at it in 3 months. I will probably do the honors myself of updating the submission at some point in the coming days (Or today, depending on how lazy I feel).

I also plan on turning the code into a separate AI library soon, with the MVP being a mod built on top of said library, amongst other things (Like remaking the MBT, and rewriting the marines to run on said AI library).

Gunslahyer_Pi post=10182 userid=11830

Well, my usage of materials has really improved since making the APC. The Di-Cokka fits a lot more with other Doom sprites, particularly because its' sprites are not as sharp or clean as the prior vehicles. They can even be crushed down to Doom's palette without looking like ass, which is why I was finally able to make a vehicle with usable palette translations.

Anyway all that is to say that when I get around to making the main battle tank, I'll rework how I do materials even further (Particularly the procedural camo I've been using.). And hopefully the new tank will be able to fit as well into Doom's world as Freebmane's old tank did, and also support palette translations lol.
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by inkoalawetrust.