header general

[UPDATE] Military Vehicles Pack 0.3.0

• Gunslahyer_Pi
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
1 year 2 months ago #11 by Gunslahyer_Pi
Replied by Gunslahyer_Pi on topic [UPDATE] Military Vehicles Pack 0.3.0
I suppose when it's put like that, I actually makes more sense. I'll put them into my test map.

They're models right?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• inkoalawetrust
  • inkoalawetrust's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 2 months ago #12 by inkoalawetrust
Replied by inkoalawetrust on topic [UPDATE] Military Vehicles Pack 0.3.0

They're models right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HF8FAM6vBk

Absolutely not lmao, they are sprites rendered from 3D models (I've even published the Blender project file for the Di-Cokka on Doomworld and the ZDoom forums).
If they were actual models I can guarantee you they would be far more jarring and out of place than anyone currently thinks the first 3 vehicles in the pack are as sprites.

• Gothic
More
1 year 2 months ago #13 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [UPDATE] Military Vehicles Pack 0.3.0

And Gothic hasn't looked at it in 3 months.

Actually I have, it's just that I really don't have much to say. I'm way behind Zscript so I can't really give you any feedback besides bugs I find ingame.
My only take on this whole vehicle matter is that you should use 3D models instead of sprites, but you already discarded that idea.

If they were actual models I can guarantee you they would be far more jarring and out of place than anyone currently thinks the first 3 vehicles in the pack are as sprites.

I've seen good use of models in mods like Stronghold, Reelism 2 and Blade of Agony, at least I think they look good.

• inkoalawetrust
  • inkoalawetrust's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 2 months ago - 1 year 2 months ago #14 by inkoalawetrust
Replied by inkoalawetrust on topic [UPDATE] Military Vehicles Pack 0.3.0
Edit: Man the posts are real scuffed lmao. The links are eating up the actual texted they are attached to.

And Gothic hasn't looked at it in 3 months.

Actually I have, it's just that I really don't have much to say. I'm way behind Zscript so I can't really give you any feedback besides bugs I find ingame.
My only take on this whole vehicle matter is that you should use 3D models instead of sprites, but you already discarded that idea. 

Well, if you haven't found any bugs in the latest stable release that I didn't. Then I guess I can go ahead and update the submission myself, also make a GIF thumbnail for it (Since I've got like, 20 more vehicles to add).

However, I've begun actually working on that library I talked about in the last post.However, I've begun actually working on that library I talked about in the last post. And it has been taking up my time, mostly untangling the MVPs' code to integrate it into the library as the land vehicle base, and take the more generic code and make it part of the base NPC actor. I'm not even really at the stage where I can begin writing new features for the library as is evident on the actual commit log. Most new features are things I'm writing to remove the hardcoded code the MVP assumed, or to further reduce code duplication. For example tomorrow I have to replace the old hardcoded IsPowerful() function with a more generic threat system.

Oh yeah also my first attempt at spinning off the MVP code to an AI library was fundamentally flawed and lead to an unusable mess that could never ever start up. Which really demotivated me and made me thing I'd never be able to untangle the code without rewriting it, like I'll have to do with the Smart Marines.

I've seen good use of models in mods like Stronghold, Reelism 2 and Blade of Agony, at least I think they look good.

I don't really know anything about the first two mods. But in BoA's case, it's an entire game, and one that can make the decision to include a lot of prop and NPC models without looking off, because it's simply part of the games' style. But this is a Doom mod, so the vehicles would just look super out of place as 3D models.

There's also the issues of collision, which are exacerbated by the vehicles having minimal cartoonish proportioning, I use practically the exact dimensions of the vehicles they are based on. For example the APC is 7.85m long, the Lazar 3 is 7.9m long. There's also other problems like how GZDooms' model pipeline is like sitting on a cactus. And that I don't make many models with the expectation of using them in-game instead of as sprites.
Last edit: 1 year 2 months ago by inkoalawetrust.

• Gothic
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #15 by Gothic
Getting this error when trying to activate the Army Trucks

• Gothic
More
4 months 1 day ago #16 by Gothic
I'm only closing this to free space in this subforum.
Inkoalawatrust, If you want to update you own submissions, feel free to do so without the need of making a thread, just let us know in the shoutbox.