More
9 years 9 months ago - 9 years 9 months ago #1 by MagicWazard
[Update] Final Doom Textures was created by MagicWazard
Source: Final Doom
Count: ~ 200
Palette: Doom
Format: TEXTURES
Anims/Switches: Yes (ANIMDEFS)
Description: All of Final Doom's textures recompiled for Doom/Doom II usage. Some texture and patch names have been changed for compatibility or ease-of-use. All switches and animations have been redefined.

Conversion: MagicWazard
Author: id Software, Team TNT
Submitted: MagicWazard

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0werde17jlforug/FinalDoomTextures.zip?dl=0

This update is designed to make all of Final Doom's textures play nicely in a Doom/Doom II environment. Everything has been converted to TEXTURES format, so only the new definitions are included. I've renamed textures and patches as necessary to avoid conflicts, as well as for TEXTURES compliance (more details below). All switches and animated sequences have also been redefined, so they no longer piggyback off of existing sequences. Additionally, I've split up TNT's multi-use animations into individual textures, so they're easier to use (no more counting offsets).

While I was cleaning things up, I also went and retouched a handful of patches from TNT that had issues (such as the visible edges of the "burning switch" texture, the color artifacts on the webs, and the row of black pixels on 2 of the cavern patches). I also wound up re-doing the "large skull" switch from Plutonia since the original was pixelated due to slightly crude resizing. In all cases, I've included the original patches for purists. (I originally started retouching a few more TNT patches [like DOBWIRE], but decided to give up on that since that's a project in and of itself.)

I had a couple odd issues with the move to TEXTURES. If anybody knowledgeable would like to chime in on whether these are "bugs" or expected behavior, see the spoiler below:
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 9 years 9 months ago by MagicWazard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 9 months ago #2 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic {Update] Final Doom Textures
Regarding the issues:
  • Putting quotation marks around the name of the texture definition seems to work as far as ZDoom is concerned, though GZDoom Builder doesn't appear to like it. It fails to find the texture.
  • This is most likely related to namespace priority. The wiki mentions here that graphics placed in the patch namespace will be prioritized over other graphics in other namespaces, but only if the archive structure is used (PK3/ZIP). This doesn't work for the WAD format, as the PP_START/PP_END markers have no special meaning to the engine.

• MagicWazard
  • MagicWazard's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 9 months ago #3 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic {Update] Final Doom Textures
Well, in any event, renaming the offending items got them all working, and in a way that shouldn't cause any problems in one environment or another. So unless anybody finds any problems I missed, or has any particular objections to the way it's implemented, I believe it's ready to go.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 9 months ago #4 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic {Update] Final Doom Textures

MagicWazard wrote: So unless anybody finds any problems I missed, or has any particular objections to the way it's implemented, I believe it's ready to go.

My only gripe is the skull switch texture's blurriness.

• MagicWazard
More
9 years 9 months ago #5 by MagicWazard

Blue Shadow wrote: My only gripe is the skull switch texture's blurriness.

Well, considering it's a 33x33 sprite blown up to nearly double its original dimensions, it's either going to be pixelated or a bit blurry. I personally think the latter is an improvement (short of remaking it from scratch, which is outside the scope of what I'm doing). Either way, it's just a non-essential bonus inclusion, and the original versions are still provided for those who prefer them.

• Gez
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 9 months ago #6 by Gez
Replied by Gez on topic {Update] Final Doom Textures
Have you thought about looking at the redone textures in Plutonia 2? The skull switch was among them.

• MagicWazard
More
9 years 9 months ago #7 by MagicWazard

Gez wrote: Have you thought about looking at the redone textures in Plutonia 2? The skull switch was among them.

Not specifically; the intention was just to more-gracefully port over the official textures, rather than bring in community content. Notwithstanding the handful of TNT patches I "fixed", the large skull switch is about as far as I wanted to go with doing any kinds of editing, since it was just rescaling an existing asset with a different sampling method. And, of course, the original version is still included. :)

• Dreadopp
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 8 months ago #8 by Dreadopp
Replied by Dreadopp on topic [Update] Final Doom Textures
I'm personally okay with this pack as it is. :)

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 8 months ago #9 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic [Update] Final Doom Textures