header general

[UPDATE] Parallaxing Sky Viewpoint

• inkoalawetrust
  • inkoalawetrust's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #1 by inkoalawetrust
[UPDATE] Parallaxing Sky Viewpoint was created by inkoalawetrust
Information:
Code: inkoalawetrust (Rewritten code), DrPyspy (Original code)
GLDEFS: N/A
Sounds: N/A
Sprite Edit: Custom sky camera graphic by Tabijaky, made from GZDB/UDB's sky viewpoint graphic.
Idea Base: The Source engines' 3D skyboxes.

This is an update to the Parallaxing Sky Camera  submission. It fixes two big problems that the original submission had back when I didn't know what I was doing. Practically all of DrPyspys' code has now also been replaced by mine in doing these fixes.

The first fix is that the camera now tracks the position and camera height of whichever actor is the players' current viewpoint, including monsters and camera actors. Instead of always moving relative to the player themselves.

https://streamable.com/kwy4fu
Before, the sky camera would still move around the skybox sector even when the view changes to the aiming camera instead of the player, but now the sky camera is static, since the camera tracking the player itself is not moving.
Also don't mind the music, I had just casually recorded that vide to show to a few people on Discord initially.

The other fix is that the camera can now properly traverse static portals instead of phasing right through them.

However, there is a bug caused by near Z clipping where if the camera is very close to a portal line, but not fully through, you can see behind the portal. I cannot do anything about this without just natively integrating this actor to GZDoom (Which I think I can't do), to be able to get rid of the view clipping.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a_dyULMPJKP2Id9bZEcYfLzInMklt4EB/view?usp=share_link
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by inkoalawetrust.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gothic
More
1 year 5 months ago #2 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [UPDATE] Parallaxing Sky Viewpoint

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.