• Shotgunner
More
11 months 4 days ago - 11 months 4 days ago #1 by VikingBoyBilly
[SUBMISSION] Doom 64 Cacodemon was created by VikingBoyBilly
Information:
Name: Doom 64 Cacodemon
Difficulty: Easy for Vanilla, Medium for the modified version
Connections: Cacodemon (duh)
Summon: D64Cacodemon (Beholder for the old cacodemon)
Melee: Yes
Distance: Shoots ball lightning. Has added effects in the modified variant, and can occassionally leave a fart cloud
Type: Demon
Brightmaps: Yes
Actor modification: Replaces cacodemon
ACS: No

Credits:
Code: VikingBoyBilly
GLDefs: VikingBoyBilly
Sounds: fart noises were sounds i found on random free stock sound sites, electric sounds came from heretic and quake
Sprites: VikingBoyBilly made them in Aseprite from scratch
Sprite Edit: None
Idea Base: The doom 1 cacodemon with slight doom64 aesthetic

Description:
This is my take on a look for the doom 64 cacodemon that more closely resembles its appearance in doom 1 and 2. I worked on its sprites, doing multiple revisions, for a month. There was no 3d model; just aseprite. 3d modeling software like blender and magicavoxel are still too much for me to get to grips with how to use them so I grit my teeth and made the frames, one by one, in aseprite. I included the .ase files for anyone with aseprite to go ahead and look at and make adjustments if they want. Feel free to work on it more and edit it for whatever mod you like. I'm satisfied with my work and I hope you like it too.

I could have stopped with a bare replacement, but I got a bit carried away with the magic you can do in ZSCRIPT. I gave it additional behavior and mechancs to give it a new flavor, and I hope you hate them just as much as pain elementals. This differentiates it from the old doom64 cacodemon, that you can summon as "beholder" and now has 200 hp, but no map editor number so you will have to define it yourself if you still want to use it in your mods.

If all you want is a vanilla cacodemon replacement, that's what the _Vanilla.pk3s are for. 64Cacodemon is compatible with doom64 retribution and brutal doom 64, but if you're playing with doom64CE with a Doom64 iwad, you need to use D64CECacodemon.pk3 or D64CECacodemon_vanilla.pk3.

Author: VikingBoyBilly
Email me at: billewaterman@gmail.com
Files: 64Cacodemon.pk3, 64Cacodemon_Vanilla.pk3, D64CECacodemon.pk3, D64CECacodemon_Vanilla.pk3, cacodemon.aseprite, ballightning.aseprite
Release date: July 29, 2023
for iWads: Doom, Doom2, Doom64
works for: Doom64 retribution project, Brutal Doom 64, Doom64 CE.
source port: Must use GZDoom v4.10.0 and up

Sprite:

Download Link:

File Attachment:

File Name: 64Cacodemon.zip
File Size:1,508 KB
Last edit: 11 months 4 days ago by VikingBoyBilly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• YourAverageMoron
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
11 months 3 days ago #2 by YourAverageMoron
Replied by YourAverageMoron on topic [SUBMISSION] Doom 64 Cacodemon
When I first spawned it, it genuinely scared the crap out of me, only for it to essentially just be a bigger cacodemon. It would probably work better as a miniboss. Another gripe I have is that it doesn't really fit into the doom style if you ask me. Great work, though!

• CaptainToenail
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
11 months 2 days ago #3 by CaptainToenail
Replied by CaptainToenail on topic [SUBMISSION] Doom 64 Cacodemon
Very impressive work! The flatulence on this thing is ridiculous :XD:

Some thoughts on this one

> The fart cloud stays around for ages (forever?) which is very unfortunate if it lands in front of somewhere the player has to go and they have little health.

> Recommend scaling the actor to match the stock cacodemon so it doesn't get stuck in ceilings and floors. Its current size is very intimidating and would be great for a boss monster rather than a regular Caco

> Is the electric trail supposed to be delayed behind the ball projectile? It's a strange effect. Purely subjective but additive rendering looks great on electric effects

> There's also a bunch of warnings in the console

Otherwise fantastic work

• Gothic
More
10 months 4 weeks ago #4 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Doom 64 Cacodemon
You should clean up your submission so it doesn't have warning messages, all submissions here are independent from 3rd party mods. Also it shouldn't replace the original Cacodemon.
It should have a different name, as it doesn't resemble or behave like the Doom 64 Cacodemon.

• CaptainToenail
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
9 months 1 week ago #5 by CaptainToenail
Replied by CaptainToenail on topic [SUBMISSION] Doom 64 Cacodemon
I'd hate to see this one be rejected. So much work has gone into it and the sprites are really good. I feel for utility it needs to be reframed as some sort of boss supreme Cacodemon considering its size compared to regular Cacos.

• VikingBoyBilly
  • VikingBoyBilly's Avatar Topic Author
  • Shotgunner
  • Shotgunner
More
9 months 1 week ago #6 by VikingBoyBilly
Replied by VikingBoyBilly on topic [SUBMISSION] Doom 64 Cacodemon
I think there's miscommunication on my part here. This isn't even meant to be used in doom or doom II; it is, as the title suggests, for Doom64 in gzdoom, and it's size is reasonable relative to everything having a high resolution in that game. For that, the way its GLDEFS are defined are required for it to work at all. I mean, im not telling you NOT to put it in doom 2, or heretic, or duke nukem if you want to. If you wouldn't want it to be a boss in that environment and just replace the OG cacodemon, you should set the scale flag to about .5 to .75 or so.

I feel like i misunderstood what realm667 is all about. If I want to upload my cacodemon replacement mod it would have to go to moddb or a doomworld resource thread.

Idunno if i feel arsed to make the pk3 divorced from 3rd party mods, but I agree it should be if other people just want to put it in their mods. It can be dropped into a doom64CE mod as-is, but if i removed the GLDefs that make it work for that, it's too complicated for Joe Shmoe to figure out how to set that up to get it working in doom 64 properly.

Where can we compromise?

• Gothic
More
9 months 4 days ago - 9 months 4 days ago #7 by Gothic
It wouldn't be that hard to make this a standalone actor, all you have to do is delete the Decorate file and just keep the Zscript file (only the one that says cacodemon, the "beholder" should go), delete all references to the deleted actors in the GLDEFS, rename the sprites to something that doesn't clash with the vanilla Cacodemon, and remove the "replace" part. Also replace all instances of A_PlaySound with A_StartSound, so GZDoom doesn't complain about using deprecated functions.

But if you don't feel like working on this submission, then maybe allow other people to use the sprites and adapt the code to be used in vanilla Doom. We don't host addons for other mods in the repository.
Last edit: 9 months 4 days ago by Gothic.

• Gothic
More
5 months 2 weeks ago #8 by Gothic
Well, nothing came out of this. Closing.