header general

[SUBMISSION] and [UPDATE] Updated, Vanilla styled M16

• OKgo5555
  • OKgo5555's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
11 months 18 hours ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #1 by OKgo5555
Information:Name: M16 Assault Rifle (Vanilla Style)Class: 4Type: HitscanPalette: DooMSummon: M16Ammo Type: ClipAltfire: NoPowered Mode: NoBrightmaps: NoActor modification: NoACS: NoCredits:Code: Okgo5555Sounds: These sounds are bass boosted and edited from real m16 gunshots and augmented with other rumbling tones.Sprites: The Sprites are Frankensprites from Vietdoom and the various sources for "doom hands" available including the DooM Alpha Wads. Adapted from Id Software and SargeantMarkIV.Sprite Edit: OKgo5555Idea Base: M16's from various video games. I wanted to make an M16 that felt like it fit in the OG DooM IWADS.Description:This is a more Vanilla DooM styled M16 Assault Rifle. It shoots in COD style 3-round bursts and is fully automatic when holding down the trigger.Sprite: https://imgur.com/a/e9vRDqZ Drive Link:
Last edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by OKgo5555. Reason: Added A_CheckReload where needed and removed obsolete Drive Link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gothic
More
10 months 4 weeks ago - 10 months 4 weeks ago #2 by Gothic
It's well made, but I don't see what's not vanilla about the current M16 , besides the modern sound effect.

After every shot, you should give it an ammo checking function, so it stops from firing if it runs out of ammo:

TNT1 A 0 A_PlaySound("weapons/chngun", CHAN_WEAPON)
TNT1 A 0 A_GunFlash("Flash2")
M16A B 3 Bright A_FireBullets(2, 2, 1, (20), "M16Puff")
TNT1 A 0 A_CheckReload

Replace the "Chaingun replaces Chaingun" with "Weapon", and check a typo in one of the firing functions, because it throws a warning message.
Last edit: 10 months 4 weeks ago by Gothic. Reason: No A_Jumpifnoammo required, just using A_CheckReload works

• OKgo5555
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
10 months 4 weeks ago #3 by OKgo5555
Thank you for the feeback. Your response was the nicest, most constructive response I've ever received for just about anything Doom related. haha

Personally, I think the spritework, muzzle flash, and "feel" of the current M16 could be improved on. YMMV.

• YourAverageMoron
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
10 months 4 weeks ago #4 by YourAverageMoron
Replied by YourAverageMoron on topic [SUBMISSION] and [UPDATE] Updated, Vanilla styled M16
If I'm being perfectly honest, I don't particularly love the sprites. It feels like it's angled to the right slightly, and the muzzle flashes once for 3 shots.

Great gun though, can't wait to see more from you!

• OKgo5555
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
10 months 4 weeks ago #5 by OKgo5555
You are correct. The gun is slightly offest to the right so as to match with the vanilla weapons. The midpoint pixel is approximately corresponding to the mid point of the Chaingun and Shotgun weapon sprites.

As for the weapon Sprite itself, I think it matches the art style of Doom better than most. I don't particularly *love* the DooMGuy hands from the alpha and beta either, but Kevin McCloud has not answered my DM's to model his arms for me in DeluxePro Paint :-) So, to try to keep a consistent look, I try to repurpose assets that Id has already made.

The muzzle flash is a similar issue. Regardless of my taste and preference, the aim was to emulate what an m16 would look like in DooM if Id put one in the original game. So, if you check the Id animation frames, the Plasma rifle flashes LESS that once per shot and the shotgun, SSG, and pistol all flash MORE THAN ONCE per shot. Also, there are 3 gunflashes happening every time- one for each bullet. They are vanilla gun flashes that I orientated and edited into a m16 style "cross" pattern and different frames of that muzzle flash play in different orders each time a bullet is shot. Each bullet has its own muzzle flash and each muzzle flash was made to animate into the others when selected by RNG at random. There is no "blank" frame without a muzzle flash for a bullet because that is not how Id handled their guns that shoot bullets.

Like I said. Its always a subjective matter of taste. Personally, this was just my attempt to emulate the 1993 style that Id out out there, originally.

• YourAverageMoron
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
10 months 4 weeks ago #6 by YourAverageMoron
Replied by YourAverageMoron on topic [SUBMISSION] and [UPDATE] Updated, Vanilla styled M16
I think you'll like this very much:

• Gothic
More
10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #7 by Gothic
You forgot to include A_CheckReload on the other firing sequences.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, does SgtMark allow the use of resources from VietDoom? I know the model was made by Luchador , but he modified the graphics to fit in Doom, and permissions aren't specified in the text files.
Last edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by Gothic.

• OKgo5555
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
10 months 3 weeks ago - 10 months 3 weeks ago #8 by OKgo5555
This is all I could find in VietDooM itself. VietDoom hasn't had any movement or mention since 2019.

"... Additional Graphics: Captain J (M3A1 Sprites and M16's reload frames [I use none of these]), YukesVonFaust (Mosin Nagant sprites), Nmn (M79 base sprite).
Boxy 60's car voxel by NerdKoopa. Volks Beetle voxel by Chillo.

Some textures, sprite pieces and sound effects taken from Team TNT's NAM. Revolver sprite from Lobotomy Software`s Powerslave.

Weapon sprites were made by posing 3D models
These are the authors of these models:
ThePolygator, Ulfen, nrebei2, alint, vziuh, Robbe Vlaeminck
Manilov AP, Stefan Engdahl, Kingy, Luchador
Burning guy sprites from Blood

Soundtrack taken from Vietcong (by Rude Kostry ) and Rising Storm 2 Vietnam (by Leenie Moore). (special thanks to Leenie More and Tripwire Interactive for Rising Storm 2, it's basically the game that inspired me to make this mod)...[/quote]

The Doom Arm is from the Doom Alpha and I had to redo the Doom Hand entirely based off that. All the muzzle flash is entirely me. Also, I made significant changes to the profile and charqacter of some of the M16 "model" itself as just using Sgt Mark's didn't look exactly how I nwanted or do exactly as I needed.
Last edit: 10 months 3 weeks ago by OKgo5555.

• OKgo5555
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #9 by OKgo5555
sorry for spamming the edits. The board kept freaking out on me and I was unintentionally submitting and not submitting the stuff I wanted to before. Weird.

• Gothic
More
10 months 3 weeks ago #10 by Gothic
You should ask him for permission then