Summon: Translocator
Ammo Type: Translocator Beacon (Custom)
Altfire: Yes
Powered Mode: No
Brightmaps: Yes
Actor modification: No
ACS: No

Description:
The primary firemode launches a teleport beacon that bounces off walls but sticks to floors.
Using primary fire again will teleport the user to the beacon. It is possible to teleport while the beacon is still mid-air.
If the beacon ends up in an invalid location (ie. not enough space), the user is warned instead of teleported.
The secondary firemode retrieves the beacon back to the translocator. Same if the beacon disappears for some reason.
Telefragging and the damage dealt can be configured. Default damage value equals the player's health + armor value.
Monsters that are immune to blast damage (eg. Cyberdemon) cannot be telefragged.

Credits:
Code: DeVloek
GLDefs: DeVloek
Sounds: Digital Extremes
Sprites: DeVloek (based on concept art by Sly)
Idea Base: Unreal Tournament Translocator

Preview Sprite:

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gmth5IonxLFJL_Sy7fdFKghn14znpraV/view?usp=drive_link

I'm submitting this to the Armory since it's technically a weapon, and it is possible to telefrag non-bosses, but its' primary use is faster movement around the map and reaching previously unreachable places. Of course inspired by the Translocator from the Unreal Tournament series, but with a few differences.

The most obvious difference is the controls, primary fire triggers both the beacon launch and the teleport action since that feels more natural to me.
Also the beacon cannot be destroyed by conventional means, but if it somehow ends up outside the map boundaries it will be teleported back to your translocator.
Another difference is the damage dealt, in UT it deals a crazy amount of damage but in Doom I think bosses shouldn't be telefragged as this would make boss fights absolutely trivial. Since I wasn't able to use the standard teleport action for technical reasons, I'm using explosion damage for the purpose of telefragging so all monsters immune to blasts are immune to telefrags as well. In standard Doom that's only the Cyberdemon and the Spider Mastermind. Heretic, Hexen and Strife bosses should be immune too, haven't tested those.

I struggle to give it a class rating since it can insta-gib most monsters so I left that out in the info section. But I did include an option in the Zscript to easily configure the telefrag damage or turn it off altogether.
I also included a function to determine if the beacon's position is safe to teleport to, ie. not blocked by any walls or ceilings. If the position is very close to a wall, a better position is searched within a small radius around the beacon so teleporting should work anyway in most cases. If the position is blocked when trying to teleport, a warning sound is played instead and both the translocator and the beacon blink red. I haven't really tested if it's possible to get stuck in decorations but you should be able to teleport away if that happens.

Here's a short video of the thing in action:
https://youtu.be/Uj3floAFLOE

Obviously using it will break many maps since you can easily take shortcuts but it's much fun :) Hope to see some maps designed around it some day...
Last edit: 8 months 3 weeks ago by DeVloek. Reason: fixed a typo in the description

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gunslahyer_Pi
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #2 by Gunslahyer_Pi
Replied by Gunslahyer_Pi on topic [SUBMISSION] Translocator
Love love love this! Been waiting for someone to make one of these! This is going into my project as it is required.

Thanks man!

• DeVloek
  • DeVloek's Avatar Topic Author
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #3 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [SUBMISSION] Translocator
That's awesome, glad it will be of use :)

btw I did some further tests and while you can't get stuck in decorations themselves, you may get stuck between a decoration and a wall. But since the beacon doesn't collide with other actors you can easily escape.

Let me know if there is any issue, I thoroughly tested it in all kinds of situations except portals since I currently don't have any maps featuring those installed. I might find the time later today to add portals to my test map and see if the translocator works properly with those.

• Kan3
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #4 by Kan3
Replied by Kan3 on topic [SUBMISSION] Translocator
To me, this is an amazing weapon/item.
It opens up so many new ways to deal with maps and fights

• Gothic
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #5 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Translocator