Summon: SBlauncher
Ammo Type: Sticky Bomb (custom)
Altfire: Yes
Powered Mode: No
Brightmaps: Yes
Actor modification: No
ACS: No

Description:
Launches Sticky Bombs that stick to walls, ceilings, obstacles, decorations as well as monsters.
Perfect for setting traps: launch as many bombs as you like, then press Altfire to detonate them all at once.
Beware, exploding bombs can hurt the player. Undetonated bombs can be defused and picked back up.
The following behavior can be configured in the ZSCRIPT file:
- Bombs stick to monsters or explode instantly when hitting them
- If stuck to a monster, bombs explode after a countdown or keep sticking
- Bombs explode when another bomb in proximity explodes, causing chain reactions
- Bombs selfdestruct after a countdown or stay until detonated otherwise
- Prevent bombs from sticking to certain textures (eg. liquids)

Credits
Submitted: DeVloek
Code: DeVloek
GLDefs: DeVloek
Sounds: Epic, 3D Realms, DeVloek
Sprites: SoniK.O.Fan, DeVloek
Sprite Edit: DeVloek
Idea Base: Daikatana's C4 Vizatergo and Shadow Warrior's sticky bombs

Sprite preview

Download
https://drive.google.com/file/d/14xYxh5Lgnd-b9BIh_5fsgj8UQirPcKhC/view?usp=sharing

This weapon was originally based entirely on Daikatana's C4 Vizatergo, but when it was almost finished I added some features from Shadow Warrior's sticky bombs. While testing different feature combinations I had the idea of making everything configurable so the modder can make the bombs behave exactly like in Daikatana, or Shadow Warrior, or a mix of both, or none of the above. Default is all features enabled except the selfdestruction.

A few notes on the sticky bombs. They work by scanning a close radius around them for monsters, then attach to a monster by warping to a spot on their sprite that's as close as possible to the spot where you hit it, but not too far away from the middle of the monster so it doesn't look like the bomb is hovering in the air around it. This is why it may look like the bomb is changing course in the last moment before hitting the monster, but it's a compromise I had to make to make it look believable when monsters walk around with bombs stuck on them. Same for decorations and other obstacles, although there it is less noticable.

Known issues:
Sometimes the bombs won't stick to large monsters if hit directly from certain angles. This happens because Doom actors have a square shaped hitbox and some monsters have a much larger hitbox than their actual sprite. Most monsters are fine but it is very noticable with the Spider Mastermind. The alternative is increasing the proximity check radius but that will result in an even more jarring warp effect when a monster moves into the radius and I didn't like that at all. The radius is configurable in the main Zscript file so you can double or even triple it to see what I mean. Easiest fix would be reducing the affected monster's hitbox but of course I'm not gonna touch that in a weapon mod.
Also it may sometimes happen that the bomb doesn't stick to surfaces if you manage to hit an edge or a portal line. This is because it uses LineTrace to scan for surfaces and in literal edge cases it may miss the surface and think it has hit nothing at all, thus falling down.

I tested the weapon extensively and the issues above were all I could find and not fix, but I might have missed something else so let me know if you come across any other issues.
Last edit: 7 months 4 weeks ago by DeVloek. Reason: damn typos! :/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BFG Major Mike
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
7 months 4 weeks ago #2 by BFG Major Mike
Replied by BFG Major Mike on topic [SUBMISSION] Sticky Bomb Launcher
Pog.

• Gunslahyer_Pi
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
7 months 4 weeks ago #3 by Gunslahyer_Pi
Replied by Gunslahyer_Pi on topic [SUBMISSION] Sticky Bomb Launcher
Coooooool! Just like plasma grenades from halo but in launcher form!

• CaptainToenail
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #4 by CaptainToenail
Replied by CaptainToenail on topic [SUBMISSION] Sticky Bomb Launcher
I love this thing. It's useful and it has great effects and sprites.

Between the translocator, the turrets, the plasma ssg - you have submitted so many impressive things recently!

• DeVloek
  • DeVloek's Avatar Topic Author
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 months 3 weeks ago #5 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [SUBMISSION] Sticky Bomb Launcher
Thanks! As long as I'm having fun making this stuff I'm gonna keep at it. But many of my submissions wouldn't be possible without the amazing sprite work by talented people such as SoniK.O.Fan and a few others. I'm trying to get better at spriting but I'm not nearly on their level. Also still improving my Zscript-fu, often my work starts with the question "can it be done?" and from there it's learning by doing.

btw I got more to come, next up is probably a monster or two. I have tons of old WIP stuff laying around, just waiting to be finished :XD:

• Tesefy
  • Zombieman
  • Zombieman
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #6 by Tesefy
Replied by Tesefy on topic [SUBMISSION] Sticky Bomb Launcher
Lovin' it :]

• Gothic
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #7 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Sticky Bomb Launcher