header general

[SUBMISSION] Melter

• BFG Major Mike
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
7 months 2 weeks ago #11 by BFG Major Mike
Replied by BFG Major Mike on topic [SUBMISSION] Melter
I think there's 2 possible ideas that could be added to this.

1. Make the beam pass through enemies.
2. If possible, I'd add a mod or like an attachment which can be added to the gun to either fully remove the over heat or make it slower to overheat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeVloek
  • DeVloek's Avatar Topic Author
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 months 2 weeks ago - 7 months 2 weeks ago #12 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [SUBMISSION] Melter
"You forgot to add the flag in the Overheat state, so it still jitters."

I didn't forget it, I uploaded the pk3 to my google drive instead of the zip, so the download link didn't update *facepalm*
Well that happens when I try to do things in a rush, should have done it later that night like I said I'd do.
The zip file is up-to-date now.

"1. Make the beam pass through enemies.
2. If possible, I'd add a mod or like an attachment which can be added to the gun to either fully remove the over heat or make it slower to overheat."

Not sure if I'm a fan of pass-through or if it's even possible, but I'll try some things. I think the time to overheat is fine but maybe I can make it configurable.
I guess the damage would have to be nerfed if the weapon gets passthrough and/or slower/no overheat.

edit: Passthrough is possible, but still not sure if I like it. It makes the weapon kinda overpowered imo.

another edit:
as per Mike's suggestion, I added a heatsink functionality to the weapon. It's an item than can be picked up, the more heatsinks you have the longer you can fire without overheating. I'm thinking like 33% increased heat tolerance per heatsink installed, with a maximum of 3 heatsinks.
Now all I need is a proper pickup sprite and a way to tell the player how many heatsinks they have installed. The display is already full but I'll figure something out.
Last edit: 7 months 2 weeks ago by DeVloek.

• BFG Major Mike
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
7 months 1 week ago #13 by BFG Major Mike
Replied by BFG Major Mike on topic [SUBMISSION] Melter
Yippee

• DeVloek
  • DeVloek's Avatar Topic Author
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
7 months 1 week ago #14 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [SUBMISSION] Melter
Updated the download file with the latest changes.

Now you can install heatsinks to prolong the firing duration. I drew the heatsink sprite myself from scratch, so it's not really good but I hope you can tell it's supposed to be a heatsink ^^ Also I decided against nerfing the damage, I think it's pretty cool that the weapon can be upgraded in that way and I didn't want to punish the player like that. It's an immersive way to make the weapon gradually stronger and mapmakers can always put the heatsinks in secret areas or don't include them at all in their map if they feel it's too strong.

Speaking of nerfing the damage, I did some more experiments with a passthrough beam. I tried to reduce the damage for each consecutive target that is hit, like the 1st target takes full damage, the 2nd one behind the 1st takes only 80% damage and so on. But in the end I was only able to reduce the total damage for all targets hit. I didn't wanna waste any more time on something I'm not a fan of to begin with so I scratched that idea. I'm sure it's possible somehow, I just didn't have the time and patience to figure it out.

• Gothic
More
7 months 1 week ago #15 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Melter