Melee: No
Distance: Projectile
Type: Demon/Magical
Brightmaps: No
Actor modification: No
ACS: No

Credits:

Code: Rifleman
Sounds: Hexen/Afrit, Heretic/Imp and alonsotm -- https://freesound.org/s/396499/
Sprites: Hexen/Afrit and Heretic/Imp
Sprite Edit: Rifleman
Idea Base: The Phoenix and its resurrection

Description: This monster is similar to Afrit, except it will sometimes 'blink' before firing and can sacrifice its body to possess a worthy corpse. When the host is killed, it'll spawn a new body for the Familiar. There is 5% chance a Familiar will become a Greater Familiar through resurrection. Greater Familiar can possess and buff living monsters.

Sprite: Download Link: Attached
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by 9Rifleman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gothic
More
7 months 11 hours ago #2 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic Dark Genie
Gotta say, I'm not a big fan of this one. The sprite editing isn't very good, the blue fire and purple projectiles could use more tones.
Also, I would suggest making them a little more distinct from the regular afrits, as they seem more magical inclined than just hostile critters. For example, not using the same awakening animation and just spawn them active, or maybe having a different attack or different sounds.

• 9Rifleman
  • 9Rifleman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
6 months 3 weeks ago #3 by 9Rifleman
Replied by 9Rifleman on topic Dark Genie
Ok, I'll see what I can do. Please keep this open for a bit.

• 9Rifleman
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
6 months 1 week ago - 6 months 6 days ago #4 by 9Rifleman
New version uploaded - new attack, new defense mechanism when hurt, particle effects, new respawn effect, different sounds.
Last edit: 6 months 6 days ago by 9Rifleman.

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
5 months 4 weeks ago #5 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic Dark Genie
I like the idea and its execution, but I noticed some things that imho could be improved.
  • The monster resurrects corpses even it's flying far above the corpse it is about to possess. Which looks kinda odd, maybe add a range check so it can only resurrect nearby monsters? This is only noticable in rooms with high ceilings so maybe not that much of a problem in most situations.
  • When hit, it keeps floating backwards and never stops until bumping into something. Not that much of a biggie either as this happens with pretty much all flying monsters that don't have custom movement code including vanilla ones, and it's only really noticable in wide open maps but maybe you can do something about it.
  • The "teleport" state frames aren't fullbright like the others, which looks kinda odd in dark rooms.
  • The monster doesn't have any dynamic lights attached which looks really odd given the blue fire in the sprites and the particles it emits. A simple blue flickerlight for all frames (at least the visible ones) should do the trick.
  • The projectile inherits from CStaffMissile which deals poison damage. This is kinda odd (I'm never gonna get tired of using that phrase lol) since it's basically a fireball, but when it hits you your screen turns green. I'd suggest either removing the poison damage or changing the color of the projectile to better match the damage type.

Most of these points are only nitpicks, the only ones that bother me a bit more are the lack of dynamic lights for the Dark Genie itself and the projectile looking like a fireball while dealing poison damage.

• Gothic
More
5 months 3 weeks ago #6 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic Dark Genie
To add to the above, its Death animation seems incomplete, it should spawn gibs at the end of its XDeath state.

• 9Rifleman
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
5 months 1 week ago #7 by 9Rifleman
Added a new version.

- it uses the Archvile's resurrect code, so it already only resurrects nearby monsters. I added and effect to make it more 'magical'
- added +BRIGHT and GLDEFS flicker ight
- removed poison damage
- the missing chunks are intentional, to further differentiate them from Afrits. Should I add them?

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #8 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic Dark Genie
Nice work on the update. One thing that I noticed though (and I wonder why I didn't mention this before) is the really choppy movement. This is because the frames that call A_Vilechase have a duration of 5 tics.

I'd suggest cutting it down to 2 tics so the movement looks much smoother. But then you'd have to add more frames to the wingflap animation so it doesn't play too fast, and reduce the monster speed a bit.

I think this looks good with a speed of 12 instead of 16:
Code:
Chase: FNIX AABBCC 2 Bright A_VileChase(); TNT1 A 0 ThrustThingZ(0, 2, 0, 0); FNIX AABBCC 2 Bright A_VileChase(); TNT1 A 0 ThrustThingZ(0, 2, 1, 0); Loop;

• 9Rifleman
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
3 months 1 week ago #9 by 9Rifleman
Replied by 9Rifleman on topic Familiar (formerly Dark Genie)
New version uploaded.

I decided to rename this to Familiar, as I think it suits it better.
I used DeVloek suggestions above. Also added new sprite colour and light for Heal state, inspired by the Cacomancer. Also made some adjustments to the projectile.

• SSkies
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
3 months 1 week ago #10 by SSkies
Replied by SSkies on topic Familiar (formerly Dark Genie)
This guy looks awesome. I'll try it.