header general

[SUBMISSION] Familiar

• 9Rifleman
  • 9Rifleman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
3 months 1 day ago #21 by 9Rifleman
Replied by 9Rifleman on topic [SUBMISSION] Familiar (formerly Dark Genie)
Any non-boss monster with starting health of at least 2 times the starting health of the Familiar. I think the default monsters in Hexen don't have Raise states though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #22 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [SUBMISSION] Familiar (formerly Dark Genie)

Any non-boss monster with starting health of at least 2 times the starting health of the Familiar.
I'd change that to something much lower so the ability is used more often. I'd probably set the treshold to equal starting health and go up from there if that doesn't work out.

• 9Rifleman
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
2 months 2 weeks ago #23 by 9Rifleman
It's now set to same or higher SpawnHealth for Familiar and 1.5x SH for GF. Feels about right to me, I didn't want it to go for trash like Zombiemen.

• Gothic
More
2 months 3 days ago #24 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Familiar (formerly Dark Genie)

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
2 months 3 days ago #25 by DeVloek
I haven't tested it yet but those seem to some useful changes. The only thing i'd do differently is the scale adjustment. +0.1 isn't noticable on a monster that has already a large scale value like 2.0, while monsters with a small scale value like 0.5 might grow too much so I think it's better to use *1.1 instead so all actors are evenly affected.

• 9Rifleman
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #26 by 9Rifleman
Yeah, I think those are all nice QOL improvements, I'd keep it. Thanks for that!

Regarding the yellow bits - I used Slade as I'm not much of a graphic artist. But I must be blind - I still don't see yellow in the sprites - brown yes, but no yellow. Is that what you meant maybe?

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #27 by DeVloek

brown yes, but no yellow. Is that what you meant maybe?

Yea I assume that's what Gothic is talking about. All the FNIXK attack frames have these brown highlights that fit the original well, but in your edit where the fire is blue, it looks odd. Try changing the brown hue into something more blue/gray-ish, I think that'll look much better. A proper image editor might give you better results but if you use Slade for translation, try "66:72=192:198", "95:95=195:195", "96:98=198:200", that should turn all the brown pixels blue.

• 9Rifleman
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
1 month 3 weeks ago - 1 month 3 weeks ago #28 by 9Rifleman
So, I tried combining Slade with an editor and updated the sprites, how are they now?

I also added one last ability to Greater - when it gets near a boss, it becomes its familiar and will protect it. The boss can't be killed as long as his familiar is alive, but it can still be hurt as normal.
Last edit: 1 month 3 weeks ago by 9Rifleman.

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #29 by DeVloek

So, I tried combining Slade with an editor and updated the sprites, how are they now?

the blue one looks good imo, but the pink one has two sprites that don't: GNIXK1.png and GNIXK8K2.png, here the contrast between highlights and shades is too big. I'd brighten the darkest pixels up a little bit and maybe darken the brighter ones to reduce contrast.

I also added one last ability to Greater - when it gets near a boss, it becomes its familiar and will protect it. The boss can't be killed as long as his familiar is alive, but it can still be hurt as normal.

I saw a possible bug with this feature (presumably, might have other causes), but wasn't able to reproduce it. I summoned a Gfamiliar and a Spidermastermind, particles were appearing on the spiderboss as expected, but sprites of the regular familar where also spawned at the same position as the spiderboss. They quickly vanished though, and in all my other testruns they never appeared again.

btw some of your comments in the code still refer to the familar as "genie"

• 9Rifleman
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #30 by 9Rifleman
I'll see what I can do about the sprite colours and will fix the comments.

I saw those Familiar sprites too but haven't found the source yet. I used Gothic's updated version as basis for my further updates and the issue first appeared there, so maybe he'll have an idea?