connections: fatso
Distance: projectile (close and long)
Type: Demon/mechanical/boss
brightmaps: no
ACS: No

Credits:
DBThanatos: Sound
Amuscaria: sprites and decorate
Id Software, raven software, monolith entertainment, banjo software, and blizzard entertainment: other graphics, sounds, and inspiration
flyingbrick: decorate edits and sprite adjustments

Description: A mancubus further enlarged and toughened up through the best of hell's rapidly advancing genetic and mechanical engineering. Instead of a couple crude flame thrower, it's armed with a pair of heavy basilisk cannons, being able to scorch hordes at close range, and blast them away at range with a mix of accuracy, speed, and power never seen before. It doesn't help demons have finally figured out how armor works.
Last edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by flyingbrick.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• flyingbrick
  • flyingbrick's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 2 weeks ago #2 by flyingbrick
Replied by flyingbrick on topic [SUBMISSION] Behemoth
The sprites now work in doom's base color palette and colormap

it's important to note that this isn't a perfect rip of the original hellforged behemoth; I upscaled all of the included sprites, and adjusted the size and blast radius of the attacks. The boss also has much more health than in hellforged, so it can be better fitted in wads where there's a high amount of ammo/ a BFG with a couple of cell packs.

Edit: scrapped the aforementioned ideas, and it's near identical to the original hellforged behemoth. still works in the base doom colormap and palette though.
Last edit: 5 months 2 weeks ago by flyingbrick.

• Gothic
More
5 months 3 weeks ago #3 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Behemoth
I'd say you should have kept the attacks as they were originally in Hell Forged, because the flamethrower attack is now bugged since you removed a bunch of functions. The Behemoth doesn't look at you while firing its flamethrower, and it is supposed to switch to rockets when you get far enough.
It also replaces the Spider Mastermind for some reason, that should be removed.
Even if it's scaled up, the radius and height are way too high, they should be reduced to 80 for its Radius and 108 for its Height.
It's also lacking sounds for its attacks.

• flyingbrick
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 3 weeks ago #4 by flyingbrick
I have now changed the height and radius, and made sure he no longer shoots flames out the ass. He now no longer replaces the mastermind. Thanks for catching the height and radius mistakes, think I did some math wrong and forgot to check.
good news is, I found out it actually does have a flame thrower attack in hellforged, that faces the player head on.
I never encountered the behemoth's basilisk flame when playing hell forged before, if I got up close enough for that to happen, I would have already gotten blasted by a basilisk missile.
Last edit: 5 months 3 weeks ago by flyingbrick.

• flyingbrick
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 3 weeks ago #5 by flyingbrick
finished! :D

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
5 months 3 weeks ago #6 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [SUBMISSION] Behemoth
That's a cool boss monster. I did not play Hellforged so I don't know anything about the original behavior but imo the rocket fly pattern could be improved. It doesn't look good how the rockets cross each other's path and even clip into each other. I think you can somewhat mitigate that with the CMF_AIMOFFSET flag but maybe you just have to use smaller angles. Btw A_CustomMissile is deprecated, A_SpawnProjectile replaced it.

• flyingbrick
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 3 weeks ago #7 by flyingbrick
Made the flamethrower attack deal normal projectile damage as well as explosive damage, so it can take down lesser demons with no radius damage enabled. I also removed another actor I included as a bonus prop. I'm planning to submit that along with the rest of the hellforged embalmed boss sprites as one pack latter. The missile pattern has been fixed as well.

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
5 months 3 weeks ago #8 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [SUBMISSION] Behemoth
I think the flamethrower damage is totally over the top. It's literally instant death even with 200 HP and 200 armor.
Also the A_Explode part of the flamethrower projectile can catapult you across the whole map if you're invulnerable, this is really hilarious when you jump on top the flame stream. So I'd suggest getting rid of the explosion damage altogether, or at least tone it down by A LOT.
The rate of fire is so high that even the normal damage is enough to kill anyone instantly, so I'd tone it down by a lot as well.

• flyingbrick
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
5 months 3 weeks ago - 5 months 3 weeks ago #9 by flyingbrick
It's been dialed down, so it's possible to escape if the behemoth is right in front.

I also made it a bit smaller, felt my second upscale was too large compared to the original.

I've now polished up the decorate and removed the switch period from flamethrower to rockets using the behemoth's original missile2 state, which I had made into a melee attack before.

• Gothic
More
5 months 3 weeks ago #10 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Behemoth
The explosion from the rockets deal 160 damage in a radius of 64. I think these numbers should be swapped, so the rockets won't kill you instantly, but will have a higher chance of dealing damage if they explode close to you.
The ReactionTime is ridiculously low, I can't summon it without being spammed with fire the moment its sprite appears in front of me. I think you should just remove it and keep it default.
For presentation sake, you should reduce its health to 7500. If the modder wants to give it more health, that'd be up to them.