• Demon
More
4 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #1 by SSkies
[SUBMISSION] Wendigolem was created by SSkies
I'm submitting my Heretic Wendigolem.

INFO
Name: Wendigolem
Difficulty: Easy/Medium
Connections: Uses the Heretic Golem as base, and Ghastly_Dragon's Frostfang projectiles
Summon: Wendigolem
Melee: Yes
Distance: Medium
Type: Ice, Magical
Added States: Yes
ACS: No

CREDITS
Submitted: Skies
Decorate: Skies, Ghastly_dragon
Sprite Edit: Skies, Ghastly_dragon
GLDefs: Ghastly_dragon
Sounds: Blizzard Entertainment, CutmanMike (GvH), Ghastly_dragon, Raven Software
Sprites: Eriance, Raven Software
Idea Base: Ghastly_dragon's Ice Golem and Frostfang

DESCRIPTION
It's inspired by Ghastly_dragon's Ice Golem, but unlike it this one has two magic attacks (using projectiles created by that same author for his Frostfang weapon). Looks like a standard golem, but with an ice-like recolour. Can use three different attacks: melee attacks, regular missile attacks (Ghastly_dragon's Frostfang ice shards) and a super missile attack (Powered Frostfang ice ball). It's stronger and faster than regular Nitrogolems and the super attack, although it happens with low probability, is an almost sure one-shot, so use with care.

CHANGELOG 3/20/24
  • Health increased from 160 to 220
  • Ice shards and ice ball firing sounds do not play on the weapon channel anymore; instead, they were moved to the SeeSound attribute from the projectiles themselves
  • The super attack casting sequence now lasts 4 frames longer
  • Random function calls replaced by FRandom function calls when using noninteger values
  • Identical frames now are written on a single line
  • Fixed a broken sprite in one of the projectiles
  • A_Jump now only redirects to SuperMissile state with a 25% probability

CHANGELOG 3/22/24
  • Monster code written in ZScript. DECORATE code marked as OLDCODE. ZMAPINFO added to include the editor code.
  • Custom damage formulas implemented for most attacks, except regular melee hits
  • Fixed a bug in the super attack; for some reason he was only spawning the projectile instead of performing a combo attack
  • The melee hit of the super attack is now super destructive and its damage type is Ice

I'm also considering adding the ghost version of this guy, and make it more aggressive.
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by SSkies. Reason: New version

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gothic
More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #2 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Wendigolem
Last edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by Gothic.

• SSkies
  • SSkies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 2 weeks ago #3 by SSkies
Replied by SSkies on topic [SUBMISSION] Wendigolem
Thanks for the feedback! You're being really helpful for me to learn how to do things properly.

I didn't notice any errors in my game. I'll take a closer look at everything you noticed and see what I can do.

About the sprite, that's kinda weird because I literally copied them from the FrostFang wad. I did notice it couldn't be opened in Slade, which is weird, but since everything looked normal in game I let it slip.

EDIT: the sprite couldn't be opened in my FrostFang wad either, so I re-downloaded. Must have had an old, buggy version.

I'll be uploading a new version soon.
Last edit: 3 months 2 weeks ago by SSkies.

• SSkies
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #4 by SSkies
I just uploaded a new version, with all the changes you suggested and some additional modifications. It works for me and I'm not seeing any errors now.

By the way, I'm thinking on writing the code on ZScript instead, as it's recommended on the wiki now. Do you think it's worth? I clearly haven't written ZScript code before

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
3 months 1 week ago #5 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [SUBMISSION] Wendigolem

By the way, I'm thinking on writing the code on ZScript instead, as it's recommended on the wiki now. Do you think it's worth? I clearly haven't written ZScript code before

Zscript is much more advanced than Decorate, and not harder to learn. I'd say it's even easier to learn if you're already somewhat familiar with how scripting works, because you don't need to rely on weird workarounds that Decorate sometimes forces you into.

As far as I know, Zscript's only downside is that it's not compatible with Zandronum. I don't know if there is much demand for compatibility these days, haven't played Zandronum in years and the last time I did there were only a handful of players in a private lobby, public lobbies were all empty.

Here are is a Zscript tutorial that helped me switch over from Decorate:
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=57300

Also check out this tutorial, should be really helpful to beginners:
https://jekyllgrim.github.io/ZScript_Basics/

• SSkies
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
3 months 1 week ago - 3 months 1 week ago #6 by SSkies
That's nice. I don't really care about Zandronum at all, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll take a look at those tutorials then!

Syntax and stuff looks very similar to C#, shouldn't be that hard to learn.
Last edit: 3 months 1 week ago by SSkies.

• Gothic
More
3 months 3 days ago #7 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] Wendigolem