[SUBMISSION] HereticCorpses

• SSkies
  • SSkies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
4 months 1 week ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #1 by SSkies
[SUBMISSION] HereticCorpses was created by SSkies
Nothing else to say. These are all the player and monsters corpses from Heretic, as decorations.INFO:Name: Heretic CorpsesConnection: NonePalette: HereticAmbient Sound: NoDe-/Activatable: NoDestroyable: NoSpecial Effects: NoBrightmaps: NoActor modification: NoACS: NoSummons:
  • DeadPlayer
  • DeadPlayer2
  • DeadGargoyle
  • DeadGargoyle2
  • DeadGolem
  • DeadGolemGhost
  • DeadKnight
  • DeadKnightGhost
  • DeadWizard
  • DeadLich
  • DeadClink
  • DeadBeast
  • DeadBeast2
  • DeadSnake
  • DeadMinotaur
  • DeadSerpent
  • DeadSorcerer
  • PlayerHead
  • DeadChicken
CREDITS:Code: Skies Sprites: Raven SofwareSprite Edit: SkiesDESCRIPTION:All corpses from Heretic.PREVIEW: https://imgur.com/dOjinrtCHANGELOG:Added a misincluded line in DECORATE, changed the DeadSerpent sprite and added Summon List to the INFO file.CHANGELOG 3/3/24:
  • Removed unnecessary inheritance
  • Category is now Decorations/Corpses
  • Added the actor PlayerHead and its corresponding sprite
CHANGELOG 3/6/24:
  • Added the chicken corpse
  • Removed all modified sprites. Actors now fully use Heretic's vanilla sprites
Last edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by SSkies. Reason: Fixing post

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gothic
More
4 months 1 week ago #2 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] HereticCorpses
Instead of including sprites, you should do the same the Vanilla Doom Corpses did, make an inheriting actor and skip right to the last death frame, like this:
Code:
ACTOR DeadIronLich : IronLich { Skip_Super DropItem None States { Spawn: LICH I -1 Stop } }
For the Serpent, you want to use SRCRP0, not SRCRL0, because you can see D'sparil standing up in it.
Also please include the summon list, it'll make my job much easier.

• SSkies
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
4 months 6 days ago - 4 months 6 days ago #3 by SSkies
Replied by SSkies on topic [SUBMISSION] HereticCorpses
Hello! Thanks for the feedback.

There's a reason why I included the sprites. I originally tried the way you described, but found most of the corpses seemed to be stuck inside the ground, and only half of the sprite was visible. In game this isn't seen when a monster is normally killed, but it happened when I placed the corpses in the ground. To fix this I slightly changed the offsets in the sprites, and those modified sprites are the ones included.

I'll fix the D'Sparil corpse sprite ASAP and include the list of summons in the description.

EDIT: Done. Also found I forgot to include DeadGargoyle2 on the DECORATE file, which is now fixed. With these new actors the D'Sparil problem you mentioned didn't happen but it was still the wrong sprite, so I changed it.
Last edit: 4 months 6 days ago by SSkies. Reason: Answer

• Gothic
More
4 months 1 day ago #4 by Gothic

There's a reason why I included the sprites. I originally tried the way you described, but found most of the corpses seemed to be stuck inside the ground, and only half of the sprite was visible. In game this isn't seen when a monster is normally killed, but it happened when I placed the corpses in the ground. To fix this I slightly changed the offsets in the sprites, and those modified sprites are the ones included.
You can still see the rest of the sprite on the floor if you're using software renderer. In hardware renderer there's also an option for sprite clipping, so they may look different for other people, and others, including myself, use the Heretic Sprite Fixing mod, which also alter some of the death sprites. That's why I think it's best to stay as vanilla as possible.

As for my suggestion on using inheritance, I forgot that Heretic monsters behave different from Doom monsters. So forget my previous suggestion and just make really simple actors like this:
Code:
ACTOR DeadLich 10007 { +NOBLOCKMAP States { Spawn: LICH I -1 Stop } }
Could you also make an actor for the beheaded Player skull? Check sprite BSKLF0.

• SSkies
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
4 months 18 hours ago #5 by SSkies

You can still see the rest of the sprite on the floor if you're using software renderer. In hardware renderer there's also an option for sprite clipping, so they may look different for other people, and others, including myself, use the Heretic Sprite Fixing mod, which also alter some of the death sprites. That's why I think it's best to stay as vanilla as possible.

So you actually see them floating or something like that when using my modified sprites? I'm using just plain GZDoom with the default configuration and nothing else. If I use the original Heretic sprites, the corpses look like this in UDB:

https://imgur.com/a/PjyQs6H

and the same in game:

https://imgur.com/a/ZhBqcqs

I'm also uploading an updated version with the other changes you asked. For this version I'm still keeping the modified sprites.

• Gunslahyer_Pi
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
4 months 1 hour ago #6 by Gunslahyer_Pi
Replied by Gunslahyer_Pi on topic [SUBMISSION] HereticCorpses
Useful! Thanks man. I'm working on a new Heretic episode. All kinds of viscera and gore are greatly appreciated!

• SSkies
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
4 months 40 minutes ago #7 by SSkies
I'm also submitting an Heretic edition of "Improved Torches" soon, with recoloured braziers, wall torches and damaging fires soon :)

Hope it helps

• SSkies
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
3 months 4 weeks ago - 3 months 3 weeks ago #8 by SSkies

I experimented a little bit and, just as you said, switching to software rendering fixed it. I'm surprised how I never noticed the corpses gettint stuck on the floor while playing; I only saw it when creating the corpse actors just now.

Long story short, I'll remove the sprites and just use the original ones as you suggested. I'll update a new version soon.

Thanks!

EDIT: new version uploaded.

There are a couple of corpses that look very unnatural; even if the sprites are not clipped, they look stuck into the ground. I think it would be better to use modified sprites at least for the Golem, the Green Serpent and any other corpse that looks bad.
Last edit: 3 months 3 weeks ago by SSkies.

• Gothic
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #9 by Gothic
Remember that it also depends on the sprite clipping settings:

The Heretic Sprite Fixing project also fixes some of the corpses being too deep in the ground (or above it, like the minotaur corpse)

• Gothic
More
3 months 2 weeks ago #10 by Gothic