[UPDATE] Beheaded Kamikazi

• ozymandias81
  • ozymandias81's Avatar Topic Author
  • Pain Elemental
  • Pain Elemental
More
3 months 4 days ago - 3 months 28 minutes ago #1 by ozymandias81
[UPDATE] Beheaded Kamikazi was created by ozymandias81
As the title say, did another fancy simple update for a cool enemy that exists in this website for age, the crazy Beheaded Kamikaze. Here you are what's new:
  • Crushed all sprites, reduce their size from 59kb to 29kb
  • Converted wav sounds to ogg format, saved various kbs
  • Converted the actor to ZSCRIPT and made sure to replace deprecated functions with modern ones (PlaySound/PlaySoundEx with StartSound)
  • Improved monster AI (smoother and rapid movement, Idle state now is used), Melee attack (standalone function) and Death state (standalone function)
  • Put Attenuate on GLDEFS for better explosion light effect on modern ports (GZDoom and VKDoom mainly)
  • Added INFO and CREDITS lumps
  • Converted the whole thing to pk3 format
That's all folks, here you are the link:

File Attachment:

File Name: BeheadedKamikazi.zip
File Size:42 KB
Last edit: 3 months 28 minutes ago by ozymandias81.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gothic
More
3 months 2 days ago - 3 months 2 days ago #2 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [UPDATE] Beheaded Kamikazi
Since this monster is getting an update, I'd like to bring up a problem with its AI. The Kamikaze has an idle state that never uses, and even if its target is dead it still goes behind it and explodes when getting close to the target's corpse, or if it disappears by removing it, the kamikaze just keeps running even when hitting a wall.
Last edit: 3 months 2 days ago by Gothic.

• CaptainToenail
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
3 months 2 days ago - 3 months 2 days ago #3 by CaptainToenail
Replied by CaptainToenail on topic [UPDATE] Beheaded Kamikazi
Yeah the movement code on this one is a bit of a mess. The original idea was that it would run at you in a straight line in open areas, just like the enemy from Serious Sam its based on. It often just gets stuck on small ledges and outcrops though, alongside all the other issues you've said Gothic. I think the segway guy has the same issue.

I don't know if you want to modify it further or not ozymandias81 to fix these issues, but I don't mind.
Last edit: 3 months 2 days ago by CaptainToenail.

• ozymandias81
  • Pain Elemental
  • Pain Elemental
More
3 months 1 day ago #4 by ozymandias81
Replied by ozymandias81 on topic [UPDATE] Beheaded Kamikazi
Happy Easter everyone! And alright, even if I think it is more up to original authors to improve their creations, I'll consider to adjust this dude with a more proper behavior, already on it. :cool:

• ozymandias81
  • Pain Elemental
  • Pain Elemental
More
3 months 19 minutes ago - 3 months 18 minutes ago #5 by ozymandias81
Replied by ozymandias81 on topic [UPDATE] Beheaded Kamikazi
Updated the zip file, I think it might be improved some more since atm it uses CheckSightOrRange, but at least the AI works way better: the actor doesn't run in a straight line yet, but it is faster on its anim movements and alternate his Chase triggers between normal A_Chase and a custom A_Chase2 function which clear its target and jumps to its Idle state if out of specific Sight/Range applied (1024). Idk yet how to test the custom A_KamikaziDie melee "attack", but it should do nothing if the target is dead (which means it won't jump to its death state). There is also no more KamikaziDamage, now convoluted and unified into a single function called KamikaziExplode, where I have also put a thrustless exploding behavior (surviving to one of his explosions, it could happen that player would be thrown out of bonds on some maps, like with Suicide Bomber actually - which will require almost the same treatment). Let me know what do you think, my zscript skills are very very rough but I am likely to figure out these things, surely a good way to learn it.
Last edit: 3 months 18 minutes ago by ozymandias81.

• Gothic
More
2 months 3 days ago #6 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [UPDATE] Beheaded Kamikazi
I guess that will do for now.
Updated