header general

[SUBMISSION] Despicable (formerly BDemonSM (50 Shades of Pinky))

• anonymoose
  • anonymoose's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
2 months 1 week ago - 2 months 3 days ago #1 by anonymoose

This is a simple re-color / touch-up of the pinky demon which features a 'tainted' flesh-tone skin, red eyes, and black horns/nails. This pinky-variant is shackled around the ankles with a chain hanging between. It is also shackled (with broken chains) around the wrists.

He's had his health increased to 220 (from the default 150 Pinky health value). Still low enough to reliably one-shot with the SSG. Actor speed has been decreased from 10 (default) to 7 as it is shackled, and will perform 2 quick bites in rapid succession. Pain chance has been increased from 180 to 220 because this Pinky likes being degraded.

I chose to include 2 versions, the default version, and a pk3 with Truecolor PNGs to be used as a resource in other mods which forego software mode support (such as Project Brutality). I did this because It wasn't possible for me to generate a palette which accurately reflected the look I wanted in 256 colors. This Demon concept is based off a concept I had for a matching family of demons:

Name: Despicable (Formerly BDemonSM (50 Shades of Pinky))Difficulty: Medium
Connections: Demon
Summon: Despicable
Melee: Yes
Distance: None
Type:
DemonBrightmaps: Yes
Actor modification: No
ACS: No
Code: Graf Zahl (GZDoom), ID Software
Sounds: None / ID Software
Sprites: Id Software
Sprite Edit: Anonymous
Idea Base: Pre-existing 'nether' variants of Mancubus, Arachnotron and Revenant with black armor/metal, darker flesh, and chains / shackles
Last edit: 2 months 3 days ago by anonymoose. Reason: Update to correct mistake of uploading with actor replacing default actor for testing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• BFG Major Mike
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
2 months 1 week ago #2 by BFG Major Mike
Replied by BFG Major Mike on topic [SUBMISSION] BDemonSM (50 Shades of Pinky)
You had me wondering what was going on here for a second with that title

• Ganbare-Lucifer
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
2 months 1 week ago #3 by Ganbare-Lucifer
Replied by Ganbare-Lucifer on topic [SUBMISSION] BDemonSM (50 Shades of Pinky)
One thing to make it more probable of being accepted is adding something like a grabbing bite, say, when that demon bites you, you can't move out since you are being chewed onto his jaws. To free yourself from them, you simply harm them.

• CaptainToenail
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
2 months 1 week ago #4 by CaptainToenail
Replied by CaptainToenail on topic [SUBMISSION] BDemonSM (50 Shades of Pinky)
I think it's cool as-is, would be useful for those extra Hellish/Gothic themed maps.

If you wanted to lean into the Hellraiser theme, maybe it could summon spikes, chains or hooks that damage or slow the player. The original demon from the Doom Bible was going to have "floor-boiling magic" so something similar with spikes etc would be cool.

• Gothic
More
2 months 4 days ago #5 by Gothic
Replied by Gothic on topic [SUBMISSION] BDemonSM (50 Shades of Pinky)
I agree with giving it at least one distinctive property over the Demon.
I have one complain about one of the sprites:

In this frame, the Demon's arm is supposed to be on the floor, not in the air, it only looks like that due to the perspective of the sprite. So the chain shouldn't be hanging.

• anonymoose
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
2 months 4 days ago #6 by anonymoose
Replied by anonymoose on topic [SUBMISSION] BDemonSM (50 Shades of Pinky)
Thank you all for the replies :)

I agree with giving it at least one distinctive property over the Demon.
I have one complain about one of the sprites:

In this frame, the Demon's arm is supposed to be on the floor, not in the air, it only looks like that due to the perspective of the sprite. So the chain shouldn't be hanging.

That was how I originally depicted the chain, as it is fairly obvious that the demon's arm is resting upon the ground. However, given how far up on the y-plane this is depicted it really doesn't look right. It appears as though it were floating, even when perspective correct. It was very distracting. In retrospect (and I did consider this at the time), the best solution would be to (mostly) hide the chain leaving the eye to assume it had swung under the demon's arm upon death. I've gone ahead and made that adjustment and edited the original post.

I don't have much interest in adding any novel special attack or adjusting health/dmg values, as I feel like whatever mod(s)/wad(s) this monster might be incorporated in will dial those things in the way they see fit. I have also generally found melee adjustments for some other pinky variants just don't feel right (leaping attacks, or increased range or faster damaging frames). This is just a tabula rasa for a pinky-variant.

While it's nothing groundbreaking, I stand by the quality of the work. If it looks good enough people will probably use and adapt it. With that said anyone is free to use or edit this, no permission or credit necessary.

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
2 months 4 days ago #7 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic [SUBMISSION] BDemonSM (50 Shades of Pinky)
Pretty cool looking pinkie variant. If you don't wanna change the behavior too much, I'd suggest changing some stats at least. I'd lower the pain chance by a lot (he's into it), lower the speed a little bit (his shackles slow him down), and change the melee attack into
Code:
VARG GG 4 Fast A_SARGAttack;
so he bites twice instead of once. Maybe up the health a bit too.

• anonymoose
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
2 months 3 days ago #8 by anonymoose
Replied by anonymoose on topic [SUBMISSION] BDemonSM (50 Shades of Pinky)

Pretty cool looking pinkie variant. If you don't wanna change the behavior too much, I'd suggest changing some stats at least. I'd lower the pain chance by a lot (he's into it), lower the speed a little bit (his shackles slow him down), and change the melee attack into
Code:
VARG GG 4 Fast A_SARGAttack;
so he bites twice instead of once. Maybe up the health a bit too.

Thank you for the compliment and the suggestion!

I just uploaded a new version following your suggestion very closely. I kept (but shortened) the wind-up and adjusted the melee damage as the range of damage on the default attack can be quite punishing:
Code:
VARG EF 2 Fast A_FaceTarget; VARG GG 4 Fast A_CustomMeleeAttack(2*Random(2,6));

This Demon is also definitely into being degraded and has had his pain chance increased as such (from 150 to 220). He is also fittingly slower (from being enshackled), as you've mentioned. Great suggestions, thank you!

It wouldn't be fitting for a pinky variant to be too threatening. This variant will gave the player slightly more time to not get swarmed, but will be slightly more sponge-y, and punishing if they do find themselves enclosed by many.

• Gothic
More
2 months 2 days ago #9 by Gothic