header general

[UPDATE] AUTO-9 Update proposal (includes dual-wield mode)

• Hexereticdoom
  • Hexereticdoom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Imp
  • Imp
More
2 months 9 hours ago #1 by Hexereticdoom
INFORMATION:
Name: AUTO-9
Class: Level 2
Type: Hitscan
Palette: Custom PNG
Summon: AUTO-9 (AUTO-9weapon for dual-wield mode)
Ammo Type: Clip
AltFire: Yes
Powered Mode: None
Brightmaps: Not needed
Actor modification: None
ACS: None

CREDITS:
Code: Hexereticdoom (taken from own HXRTC Project mod)
GLDefs: Not used
Sounds: Ripped from Robocop movies, mixed by Hexereticdoom
Sprites: Tuuttipingu, Denisbelmondo, Joblez
Sprite Edit: CaptainJ, Gothic, Hexereticdoom
Idea Base: Robocop's main weapon

DESCRIPTION:
This is a proposed upgrade of the existing AUTO-9 weapon, originally submitted by Gothic. Includes new and enhanced sprites and sounds, improvements in code to give a little more realism and an extra dual-wield mode to double the fun.

Single Weapon Mode: The AUTO-9 now fires random bursts between six and four shots instead of fixed three, similar to the first Robocop movie. When using AltFire, the player performs the Robocop's finger-twirling movement of the gun, and then takes it ready again... Perfect for mocking your defeated enemies!

Dual-Wield Mode: Mostly the same behaviour as in single mode, but with one in each hand. Primary fire mode fires the guns alternating the shots fired between them, and secondary fire mode shoot both simultaneously. Note that you may use them this way carefully, or your ammo will run out very quickly!

Sprites preview:

Download link:

File Attachment:

File Name: AUTO-9_Updated.zip
File Size:480 KB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gothic
More
1 month 3 weeks ago #2 by Gothic
Instead of doing random bursts of 4 and 6, how about letting the player fire up to 6 shots while they hold the fire key, and stopping if they let go of the trigger early?
It would be great if the dual mode worked like the Mismatched Pistols or the Blaster Pistols, with the right mouse button firing one gun and the left button firing the other.
Also, I made custom animations for both centered and angled sprites in the original submission, if you want to use them.

• Hexereticdoom
  • Imp
  • Imp
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #3 by Hexereticdoom
OK, I have made some changes in the file according to your suggestions, hope you like it now! ;)

Phew... The truth is that it has been a little tricky for me to implement the new behaviour, specially the dual-wield mode, which so is why it has taken me a few days answering again on this thread. Thank goodness the code for the Blaster Pistol has given me enough clues to achieve the expected result...

So then, here it goes the updated file:

File Attachment:

File Name: AUTO-9_Upd...(II).zip
File Size:249 KB

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #4 by DeVloek
I love it, nice work. Being able to control the damage output for each gun independantly makes it a flexible allrounder, it's real fun to use :evil:
One issue though, LMB and RMB are switched around and firing the opposite gun. Also the sound is a bit too loud compared to vanilla doom sounds, but I guess that's kinda accurate. After all, the Auto 9 can easily drown out all the other guns on the shooting range at Metro West ;)

• Hexereticdoom
  • Imp
  • Imp
More
1 month 2 weeks ago - 1 month 2 weeks ago #5 by Hexereticdoom

LMB and RMB are switched around and firing the opposite gun.
Oh, I see... You know, at first I thought I assigned it correctly according to the code rules "Fire => BT_ATTACK" and "AltFire => BT_ALTATTACK", but then I remembered that lots of gamers used the mouse to shoot, instead of the classic keyboard keys like me. Those things of each user's consuetudes... :oops:

That's why there were inverted. But no problem, I have uploaded again the file with switched controls this time...

Also the sound is a bit too loud compared to vanilla doom sounds, but I guess that's kinda accurate.
Of course, Robocop's gun is anything but silent... :lol: :haha:

But yeah, mostly it is a typical topic the affair about the loud sound of weapons and enemies in many mods of Doom, Heretic, Hexen and many others...

File Attachment:

File Name: AUTO-9_Upd...III).zip
File Size:249 KB
Last edit: 1 month 2 weeks ago by Hexereticdoom.

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #6 by DeVloek

But yeah, mostly it is a typical topic the affair about the loud sound of weapons and enemies in many mods of Doom, Heretic, Hexen and many others...
no worries, anyone who uses this gun in their mod can easily adjust volume. I lowered it to 0.6, that brings it almost down to the volume of the plasmarifle ;)

• Gothic
More
1 month 1 week ago #7 by Gothic

• Hexereticdoom
  • Imp
  • Imp
More
1 month 1 week ago #8 by Hexereticdoom

I made an edit of your Auto-9 so it uses the firing sound you included initially, and also instead of deselecting immediately when you run out of ammo it goes to the FireEnd states, if you're interested:

Attachment not found

Whoaaa, lovely, hehe! It's really cool this way... :cool:

Thinking about it, I should also learn someday to do those advance-combined scripts in code you did, seems that quite effective results can be obtained... :D

• Gothic
More
2 weeks 2 days ago #9 by Gothic