Difficulty: Hard(ish)
Connection: Baron of Hell
Summon: 3DOBaron
Melee: Claws
Distance: Projectile
Type: Demon, Boss
Brightmaps: No

- Description: -
Based on the baron costume from the unproduced 3DO Doom FMV sequences, and inspired by the Doomworld forum thread about the subject.

It replaces the Baron of Hell with a faster, more aggressive version. He's tougher to avoid on classic Doom maps, but takes the same amount of damage.

[url=http://www.m*diafire.com/download/dbzzh55w87znh3l/3dobaron.zip]Download Link[/url]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 9 months ago #2 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic 3DO Baron
Its head is comically big.

• Impie
  • Impie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
8 years 9 months ago #3 by Impie
Replied by Impie on topic 3DO Baron

Blue Shadow wrote: Its head is comically big.

Same with the critter he's based on.

• MagicWazard
More
8 years 9 months ago #4 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic 3DO Baron
Even with that in mind (pun maybe intended), the head is still a bit oversized. The head on the costume (without the horns) only extends out to about the same width as his pecs; even with the horns factored in, the head only comes out a little past the shoulders. On the sprite, the head itself (without the horns) is as broad as his shoulders, and significantly more so with the horns. The head could use about a 30% downscaling, at least, to appear congruent with the costume. I'd also love to see the necklace sprited on to complete the look.

On a side note, cheesy as it is, doesn't this costume make you even sadder for what the actual Doom movie became, or what? 1990s-era me would pay good money to see JCVD spin-kick this thing.

• Impie
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #5 by Impie

MagicWazard wrote: Even with that in mind (pun maybe intended), the head is still a bit oversized. The head on the costume (without the horns) only extends out to about the same width as his pecs; even with the horns factored in, the head only comes out a little past the shoulders. On the sprite, the head itself (without the horns) is as broad as his shoulders, and significantly more so with the horns. The head could use about a 30% downscaling, at least, to appear congruent with the costume. I'd also love to see the necklace sprited on to complete the look.

On a side note, cheesy as it is, doesn't this costume make you even sadder for what the actual Doom movie became, or what? 1990s-era me would pay good money to see JCVD spin-kick this thing.

I didn't wanna make it exactly to scale because this way it's a bit of a caricature of the costume concept, which seems appropriate given the era it came from. I basically made it as a joke, although I would at some point like to add the pendant and the dark crest on top of the head, and maybe even gore on the snout. I even originally thought to have him throw injured, screaming marines as projectiles for humor's sake, but that seemed a bit much.

As far as the Doom movie in the 90s or the 2000s, I think we would have gotten the same fare either way: enthusiastic fools who have no idea what they're doing make a terrible cash-in film that doesn't channel the source at all. It might've been better were it not based on Doom 3, but marketing.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Impie.

• Skelegant
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
8 years 9 months ago #6 by Skelegant
Replied by Skelegant on topic 3DO Baron
I think for what it is, it's quite nice, and it achieves the "camp horror" look well. It's like a baron/pinky hybrid :D
My only suggestion would be to make a hell knight version as well (add this to its code to achieve the knight colour: Translation "16:47=48:79"), and upload them together.

• ark
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
8 years 9 months ago #7 by ark
Replied by ark on topic 3DO Baron
this belongs to a jokewad, so unless they open a comic monster section in this webpage, I don't think this is gonna cut it.

• Impie
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
8 years 9 months ago #8 by Impie

ark wrote: this belongs to a jokewad, so unless they open a comic monster section in this webpage, I don't think this is gonna cut it.

You're probably right.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 9 months ago - 8 years 9 months ago #9 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic 3DO Baron
If this is meant to be a joke-monster, then it doesn't belong here, I'm afraid. As ark said, we don't have a section for that kind of submission, and I don't believe it'd be a good idea to have one.
Last edit: 8 years 9 months ago by Blue Shadow.