9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 8 months ago #1 by MagicWazard
New Lock Textures was created by MagicWazard
Information:
Source: Doom IWAD, recolored
Count: 15
Palette: Custom, Doom
Format: TEXTURES
Anims/Switches: No
Description: Key lock textures for community key colors (black, brown, green, pink, silver, orange, white), plus a new yellow skull lock texture

Credits:
Conversion: N/A
Author: id Software, MagicWazard, Blue Shadow (alternate pink skull)
Submitted: MagicWazard
Brightmaps: Virtue

Description:
Includes a set of new lock textures for community key colors, including black, brown, green, pink, silver, orange, and white. Also includes a new yellow skull lock texture for greater contrast against the orange type.

Preview:

Previous version:
Warning: Spoiler!

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sel0ym87sjo8o4l/NewLockTextures.zip?dl=0

This is a pretty straightforward set of textures designed to provide lock texture variants themed to all of the community-made key types. There's 15 total textures in here--a "tech" and skull version for each of 7 colors (listed above), as well as a new yellow skull lock texture I provided as an alternate to the stock version, since the original yellow skull texture was really more of an orange to begin with. Although this is a smaller texture submission than usual, I'm hoping the utility of the textures will make up for the smaller quantity. That said, I'm open to requests for new variants if anybody has anything in particular they want (either new colors, or taking community lock textures and recoloring them for the new key types).

Now, one minor issue I had was whether or not I even needed to provide a new orange skull patch. Like I said above, the original "yellow" one was more of an orange to begin with, so in theory I could just provide a new yellow patch for the yellow texture and remap the original patch to use in the orange texture. I'm curious if you guys think I ought to do that. I actually like the original patch better than the one that's included in the pack. That said, I do have an alternate orange patch I came up with, though I'm not sure if it's an improvement over either the original or the one currently in the pack:

Also, is the new yellow patch satisfactory? I'm thinking of taking another shot at it, since it doesn't remap to software mode quite as well as I wanted it to.

EDIT: Revised orange skull, yellow skull, and green tech patches.
EDIT 2: Added Blue Shadow's alternate software-friendly pink skull patch. Updated credits.
EDIT 3: Included alternate silver/gray tech patch with no gradient. Included a NOTES lump with usage instructions.
Last edit: 9 years 8 months ago by MagicWazard. Reason: Another new patch added

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 11 months ago #2 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic New Lock Textures
  • - The green (both themes) is a bit dark.
  • - I like the orange sample you posted better than the one already in the pack.
  • - The purple one (skull) loses a lot of colors in software, unfortunately.
  • - And yes, the yellow needs to be reworked so it renders better in software. It doesn't look good, currently.

• MagicWazard
  • MagicWazard's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago #3 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic New Lock Textures

Blue Shadow wrote:

I can make a lighter version, especially if other people agree with you. I have a feeling that'll happen.

Blue Shadow wrote:

• - I like the orange sample you posted better than the one already in the pack.

Ok. Do you think it's better than reusing the original "yellow" skull patch as orange, or just better than the one in the pack? Either way, swapping it will be quick to do.

Blue Shadow wrote:

• - The purple one (skull) loses a lot of colors in software, unfortunately.

That's pretty much bound to happen due to Doom's limited range of pink/purples. I think the current version's about as good as it's likely to get.

Blue Shadow wrote:

• - And yes, the yellow needs to be reworked so it renders better in software. It doesn't look good, currently.

I thought as much, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't just me. I'll prep a new version of it.

And thank you! I can always count on you for detailed feedback.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 11 months ago #4 by Blue Shadow

MagicWazard wrote: Do you think it's better than reusing the original "yellow" skull patch as orange, or just better than the one in the pack?

I don't have a strong preference for one over the other, so you can go with whatever works for you. ;)

• Dreadopp
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 11 months ago #5 by Dreadopp
Replied by Dreadopp on topic New Lock Textures

MagicWazard wrote:

Blue Shadow wrote:

I can make a lighter version, especially if other people agree with you. I have a feeling that'll happen.

I'm personally okay with the skull version, but yeah, the tech base version could be brightened up a bit. :)

• Infirnex
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
9 years 11 months ago #6 by Infirnex
Replied by Infirnex on topic New Lock Textures
Concerning with the "Orange as Yellow" situation.

If used in a mod, the base orange has always been interpreted as Yellow. It may confuse some players....at the same time, it's only a keypress away to tell you that you have the wrong key. Depends on how the map is laid out I guess.

Seconding Dreadopp about the Green tech strip being way too dark. It's hard to identify it apart from the metal it's put it.

The sharp contrast in the Silver Tech strip is pretty noticeable. I would recommend darkening the top half of the "lines" for the silver tech strip.

Everything else looks great.

• MagicWazard
  • MagicWazard's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago #7 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic New Lock Textures
Alright, I've made a few changes:
*Put in the alternate orange version.
*Lightened up the green tech patch slightly.
*Recolored the new yellow skull. It's a bit more towards gold now, but it palettizes much better.

Infirnex wrote: The sharp contrast in the Silver Tech strip is pretty noticeable. I would recommend darkening the top half of the "lines" for the silver tech strip.

I'm not 100% sure I get what you mean when you say "lines". Do you mean the "bulb"? Or part of the metal frame itself? I did intentionally make the contrast a bit more pronounced than the rest, so it doesn't get conflated with the white version, but I wouldn't mind trying out another revision in case it looks better. I just wanna make sure I get your suggestion straight before I try it out! :)

• Tormentor667
  • Founder
  • Founder
More
9 years 11 months ago #8 by Tormentor667
Replied by Tormentor667 on topic New Lock Textures
I agree on the green one, that one is indeed a bit too dark.

• Infirnex
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
9 years 11 months ago #9 by Infirnex
Replied by Infirnex on topic New Lock Textures

MagicWazard wrote:

Infirnex wrote: The sharp contrast in the Silver Tech strip is pretty noticeable. I would recommend darkening the top half of the "lines" for the silver tech strip.

I'm not 100% sure I get what you mean when you say "lines". Do you mean the "bulb"? Or part of the metal frame itself?

The "bulb." The part that lets you know what key you need for this door.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 11 months ago #10 by Blue Shadow
(Posting this again, because for some reason, the post had decided to vanish!)

What do people think about this software-friendly-pink marker attempt?