[Update] MP5 submachinegun pack

• MagicWazard
  • MagicWazard's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago #1 by MagicWazard
[Update] MP5 submachinegun pack was created by MagicWazard
Information: see WADs

Credits: see WADs

Description: Includes JoeyTD's original MP5 submachinegun along with a suppressed variant that has a slower rate-of-fire, but won't alert enemies beyond 384 units distance and has no muzzle climb.

Download:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/z44pjm4p3c3n2a3/MP5%20pack.zip?dl=0

I had produced a suppressed version of JoeyTD's MP5 submachinegun a while back, and since it was based off JoeyTD's custom sprite artwork, the idea came up that instead of submitting it on its own, I could include it with JoeyTD's original version as a pack and submit it as an update. I got his permission before the last hack attack, but it didn't get through the approval process before the site got hacked and rebuilt, so I'm resubmitting it again. Since it's technically an "update" I skimped on the details and preview, but I can add them in if you want (though there's multiple WADs in the pack so it might get messy if I put all the details in).

I was able to get the suppressed version to produce no light when used in ZDoom, but it still creates a localized light in GZDoom; this appears to be a limitation of the engine (since the light is tied to the player frame and not any weapon property).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Salahmander
  • Cacodemon
  • Cacodemon
More
9 years 11 months ago #2 by Salahmander
Replied by Salahmander on topic [Update] MP5 submachinegun pack
Just tested it, it works perfect aside from the GZDoom issue you mentioned.

• Infirnex
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
9 years 11 months ago #3 by Infirnex
Replied by Infirnex on topic [Update] MP5 submachinegun pack
I'm pretty sure this was mentioned pre-hack, but in case it wasn't...

The muzzle flash is incorrect. Suppressors would kill the muzzle flash completely.
I think the muzzle flash was added to be visually suppressive (I'm so sorry for that pun) , so it gets a pass here. Fire rate is a little inaccurate for the base weapons, with the MP5SD having a fire rate more akin to the UMP-45, but for the case of gameplay and the fact it's Doom, it gets an easy pass.

I think it's good.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 11 months ago #4 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic [Update] MP5 submachinegun pack

MagicWazard wrote: I was able to get the suppressed version to produce no light when used in ZDoom, but it still creates a localized light in GZDoom; this appears to be a limitation of the engine (since the light is tied to the player frame and not any weapon property).

There is a way around that, which is by using GFF_NOEXTCHANGE and FBF_NOFLASH flags on A_GunFlash and A_FireBullets , respectively. The "downside", here, is that the player is going to use the non-flash frames for the attack animation, which contradicts the weapon itself, having a muzzleflash when fired.

• MagicWazard
  • MagicWazard's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 11 months ago - 9 years 11 months ago #5 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic [Update] MP5 submachinegun pack
I'll have to try out those flags. If they do in fact prevent the player sprite from changing to the non-flash frames, that might justify removing the flash altogether (or at the very least reducing it further). I think I said this before, but I mostly included the muzzle flash because I think the average player would expect it (besides, most video games/movies have a grossly inaccurate depiction of how "silencers" work anyways, which I think a lot of people are used to). I'd be OK with yanking it altogether if the suggested flags do their job (and Blue Shadow's suggestions are usually on the money, so they probably will). I'll try that out and update in the near future if I like the results.

EDIT: As usual, Blue Shadow's suggestion was correct! So I went ahead and implemented both of the flags he suggested. While I was in there, I also decided to comment out the call to A_GunFlash, so by default, no muzzle flash is displayed at all. I didn't remove it altogether, though, in case somebody wants to use it. I've included a comment for modders indicating how to re-enable it if they like.
Last edit: 9 years 11 months ago by MagicWazard.

• Tormentor667
  • Founder
  • Founder
More
9 years 9 months ago #6 by Tormentor667
Replied by Tormentor667 on topic [Update] MP5 submachinegun pack

MagicWazard wrote: As usual, Blue Shadow's suggestion was correct!

As usual :)

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 9 months ago #7 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic [Update] MP5 submachinegun pack