header general

3 forum change suggestions: Donate button, and repository timestamps

• kb1
  • kb1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Shotgunner
  • Shotgunner
More
6 years 1 month ago #1 by kb1
I sent you some cash, so I now feel entitled to demand changes! :grin: (just kidding, of course!)
But, I do actually have 3 suggestions:

1. The Donate button should be somewhere on each page. I know it pops up big at first, but then it becomes tricky to find, if you're not familiar with the site (I had difficulty, anyway - probably just me).

2. In the Repository, it would be really nice if each entry had a field "Date added", as well as the "Date modified". I have clicked on each and every entry, and downloaded all of them multiple times, because I couldn't remember which ones I already had, and I like to keep my files up-to-date. An option to filter by, or sort by Date Modified would be even better, especially if Date Modified = Date Added for new entries.

3. To avoid #2, an option to Download All entries from a Repository branch would serve the purpose of #2, and might be easier to implement, though it would cause more traffic (or less traffic, for users like me who download everything multiple times, hee hee)

Anyway, very nice site...excellent, in fact. Keep up the good work, and take care! Thanks, in advance, for your time, and consideration.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 1 month ago - 6 years 1 month ago #2 by Blue Shadow

kb1 wrote: 2. In the Repository, it would be really nice if each entry had a field "Date added", as well as the "Date modified".

Submissions which were updated, should have "Updated on [date]", so that's already in. Date added might not be a bad idea.

3. To avoid #2, an option to Download All entries from a Repository branch would serve the purpose of #2, and might be easier to implement, though it would cause more traffic (or less traffic, for users like me who download everything multiple times, hee hee)

That won't happen. As you said, it'd create traffic. Besides, it'd encourage modders to just cram a lot of stuff in their mods, because they have the resources easily accessible. People tend to be rather critical of projects which utilize the site's resources, especially if a lot of stuff is crammed into said projects. The last thing we want is to encourage modders to do just that.

In the end, you should download what you need and what you need only. Trust me, you don't need every resource on the site.
Last edit: 6 years 1 month ago by Blue Shadow.

• kb1
  • kb1's Avatar Topic Author
  • Shotgunner
  • Shotgunner
More
5 years 11 months ago - 5 years 11 months ago #3 by kb1
Tormentor: You are most welcome!

Blue Shadow:
I fully understand that there may be reasons why Realm667 doesn't want people to download everything. But the reasons you give don't really fly, and here's why:

. Without having both an Added date, and a Modified date, the only other way to know that you have the latest and greatest is to download them, and do offline comparisons. The Modified date does help, if you already have the files to begin with.

. You say downloading everything creates extra traffic. But it creates a lot less traffic than downloading everything one at a time.
. You say having all the files would encourage mappers to add everything to their maps. I know this is not true for me. And it doesn't really make sense anyway:

"We offer resources. But only one at a time...to improve mod quality???" Huh? What that really promotes is mods that use old versions of resources, because being up to date is difficult.

My Doom PC does not have access to the internet. So I have to download what I may need, and transfer it to my Doom PC. So not having access to everything I may need is inconvenient. You aren't really preventing anyone from downloading everything - it can be done in an hour or so, and Doom modders are persistent!

As a port dev, I want to ensure that all mods work as intended.
As a map dev, I want to be able to choose the right resources for the atmosphere I am trying to create.
As a gamer, I want to have lots of content that blends smoothly to create a fun environment.

My post suggested "Download All" as a less-desirable alternative to adding a Created date. But your response makes assumptions all over the place: Assumptions of what Tormentor wants, assumptions of what I need and what I will do with the resources, assumptions of what "people" will tend to do, and assumptions that that is important. You assume that it's easy to just "download what I need" at any given time.

Here's what I assume: I assume that Realm667 was built to showcase projects, and to offer resources to help others build nice projects. I assume that people submit resources to show off their artistic and programming skills, and to allow other people to use and enjoy their creations. I assume that these are good things.

But, somehow, having them all in one place turns them into bad things. How many of these resources are on *your* hard drive?

Before the Update date, I *had to* download everything, because:
#1. I didn't know if I had the latest versions.
#2. I couldn't remember which ones I already had.
#3. I wanted to have enough variety to be able to choose the right resource for each circumstance.

Using your download method, picking the right monster for a particular battle, for example, might take me a week of downloading one, trying it, not being completely satisfied, waiting for the next day to be able to download another one, transferring it, rinse and repeat.

You don't know what I need. Maybe I'm making a monster randomizer. Maybe I'm developing an automatic gib generator which would require me to have ample samples. Maybe I'm making a process that automates the creation of hybrid monsters.

I take offense to the suggestion that I'm going to kill the webserver by downloading a single file of a few dozen megabytes of size, and that I'm going to use it to create a crapfest of WADs to be universally shunned by "people".

The website presents itself as being a repository of helpful resources, and I have asked for some help in streamlining the process of pruning duplicates. Your response was not particularly hostile. I appreciate that. But I ask that you try a little harder to understand an individual's hurdles and needs before firing off a "That won't happen" response. With the right consideration, maybe it could happen, and maybe it's a good idea in some circumstances.

Thanks for your time.
Last edit: 5 years 11 months ago by kb1.