• RussianBear
  • RussianBear's Avatar Topic Author
  • Zombieman
  • Zombieman
More
3 years 1 month ago #1 by RussianBear
Doom/Wolf-style FPS project was created by RussianBear
Hi All,

Im not quite sure if this forum is really the right place for my post - but I thought I'd give it a go.
I've seen the work that people have done and Im just blown away by the quality and effort put forward. I've been working on a project for a while and when I saw BoA, I thought that the people involved here might be interested in what I've been working on. If not, my apologies, please don't scorn me :)

The idea is a game that draws a lot on old-school shooters (doom, duke nukem 3d etc) but built on a modern game engine to allow for more modern gameplay.
My initial concept was a vampire-themed gamed with lost of scary monsters and vampires set in cave-like environments. I've always thought that the old soviet has a lot of interesting elements to incorporate so I set the location to be somewhere in Russia/former ussr. The player would take on the part as a red army soldier sent to deal with the monsters and vampires that have been popping up in rural parts of Russia.

I started out using eduke32 and here is a video clip from the first little section I built:
Vurdalak gameplay teaser - YouTube

But I quite quickly moved to the Unreal 4 Engine instead as it allows to change the game logic and rules easier than trying to use an old engine. I still wanted to keep the old retro look (with sprites for enemies), so I built some code to support that in UE4.
Here are 2 clips from a short map I made with some scripts and shooting action (I recommend watching them with sound on):
Videolog from the cave - YouTube
Uznik v podzemel'e - The prison caves - YouTube

Just producing this stuff has proven to take a lot of time since I've had to do everything myself - level design, programming, purchasing art, using 3d-modelling software to render sprites etc etc etc. It just is to ambitious of a project for a one-man team.
My hope is that this project will inspire some of the talented people here :) While this is not a doom mod, the gameplay and sprit of the game sure is.
If there is any interest in this, I would love to bring this project back to life. But I need talented graphics, musicians/sfx people, level designers and so on.
Perhaps there are some people here that would like to put their skill and work towards a "spiritual successor" to these old retro games?

If anyone is interested, drop a comment or send an email to jimmiejohnsson84 (gmail address).

/Jimmie
The topic has been locked.
  • Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
3 years 1 month ago #2 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic Doom/Wolf-style FPS project

RussianBear wrote: Im not quite sure if this forum is really the right place for my post.

I'm afraid it's not. The only projects that can be hosted here are Realm667's own.
The topic has been locked.