header general

Final Doom textures pack issues

• MagicWazard
  • MagicWazard's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 6 months ago #1 by MagicWazard
Final Doom textures pack issues was created by MagicWazard
Hey guys,

Has anybody else noticed that the Final Doom textures pack has a fistful of issues? For starters, there's two different TEXTURE1 lumps; one of them is a total mess, and neither one actually defines any of the Plutonia textures (only the Evilution textures). Additionally, there aren't any new animdefs or switch defs for when the textures are dropped into a non-native game environment (which to be fair is mostly for the Plutonia stuff since they aren't getting defined in TEXTURE1 and thus can't use the stock anim/switch defs).

On top of the issues above, I think it would be a good idea to clean up the texture names, and create new animation cycles, so that none of the new textures interfere with any of the stock textures. I realize that an argument could be made to preserve strict compatibility with Final Doom, but I would counter-argue by saying that if you want Final Doom compatibility, then design your mod for Final Doom--if you want to use Final Doom's textures elsewhere, they shouldn't cause conflicts.

Basically, I think this pack needs an update. Thoughts? Would a total overhaul be accepted?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Gez
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 6 months ago #2 by Gez
Replied by Gez on topic Final Doom textures pack issues
I definitely agree with creating new and separate animations and switches, and foregoing FD compatibility. If people want to make a map for Final Doom, they do not need the Final Doom texture pack...

• Salahmander
  • Lost Soul
  • Lost Soul
More
9 years 6 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #3 by Salahmander
Replied by Salahmander on topic Final Doom textures pack issues
I say an overhaul will be great. I didn't know there were problems with them, then again, never used them.
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by Salahmander.

• MagicWazard
  • MagicWazard's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 6 months ago #4 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic Final Doom textures pack issues
Well, I've got an update in progress, though it isn't quite finished yet. Should be done before the end of the week. I'll post a submission thread for it when it's ready for you to look at.