• Gunslahyer_Pi's Avatar Topic Author
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
1 year 6 months ago #1 by Gunslahyer_Pi
File Acceptance Types was created by Gunslahyer_Pi
Hey yo,

Yeah here I am with a valid question.

Can we start reverting to original rules when Tormentor was actually running this place? Most earlier downloads consisted of a .wad format inside a .zip file. 

I'm so sick and tired of having to convert .pk3 files back over to .wad format.
This is purely from a developer's view point.

Having to convert .pk3 files back into .wad format wastes time and is considered highly counter-productive. 

Allow .wad formats as before instead of imposing a forced .pk3 format. 

Reasoning: Not everyone runs the .pk3 format as many developers are still using older versions of build programs.

Allow for transparency.

Ta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• inkoalawetrust
More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #2 by inkoalawetrust
Replied by inkoalawetrust on topic File Acceptance Types

You shouldn't use WAD files for anything besides maps in ZDoom to begin with. What are you doing exactly that needs WADs for anything besides maps ? If you are just stuffing WAD files into archives and running them, then you shouldn't do that. Because it can cause memory leaks.

A PK3 file is literally a ZIP file, so any version of SLADE should be able to read and edit them. And even if you are using XWE or something, you could still just use folders for your mods, and only compress them into ZIP archives with 7Zip or WinRAR when finished, then rename them to PK3. You should really be using folders for working on mods anyway, both GZDoom and Zandronum can load folders directly, and so can SLADE.

Can we start reverting to original rules when Tormentor was actually running this place? Most earlier downloads consisted of a .wad format inside a .zip file. 

Allow for transparency.

The change from WADs to PK3s happened when Tormentor was still actively running the site. I asked him why you needed to upload submissions as WAD files. And he basically just told me he agrees and changed the submission rules.
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by inkoalawetrust.

• Gunslahyer_Pi
  • Gunslahyer_Pi's Avatar Topic Author
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
1 year 6 months ago - 1 year 6 months ago #3 by Gunslahyer_Pi
Replied by Gunslahyer_Pi on topic File Acceptance Types
*bump*

Original post deleted.

Files are always unpacked before testing.
Encountered some issues with another loaded submission here.

Will post if given permission to do so.
Last edit: 1 year 6 months ago by Gunslahyer_Pi.