header general

Wolfenstein Gore skull pile has excessive filesize

• MagicWazard
  • MagicWazard's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 4 months ago #1 by MagicWazard
Alright, so check this one out--in the Wolfenstein Gore pack, the skull pile object sprite WLFBA0 has a file size of 50.96kb, which is surprisingly large. If you tweak and then resave the offsets, the size goes down to a mere 1.54kb. Any idea what's going on here? Is a bunch of garbage getting saved in the offsets somehow? (I do notice that this and the cow skull WCOWA0 are saved as truecolor rather than palettized, so maybe it's unused color data.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 4 months ago #2 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic Wolfenstein Gore skull pile has excessive filesize
It could be. This is what I get after optimization:

• MagicWazard
More
9 years 4 months ago #3 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic Wolfenstein Gore skull pile has excessive filesize
In any event, do we want to update this? 50kb of bloat in a single sprite seems like something that ought to be corrected.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 4 months ago #4 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic Wolfenstein Gore skull pile has excessive filesize

MagicWazard wrote: do we want to update this?

I'd say yes.

• MagicWazard
More
9 years 4 months ago #5 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic Wolfenstein Gore skull pile has excessive filesize
Well, if you don't think we need to start a new thread for an update, then here's a link to a version where the offsets on the skull pile have been resaved to cut the file size down. That's literally the only change so far; I haven't done any additional optimization or palettization (since the whole thing is only about 6kb zipped now).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r34s936mzhjhf6z/WolfGore.zip?dl=0

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 4 months ago #6 by Blue Shadow
It's better to make it a submission, just so as to keep a "record" of the update on the forum.

And while you're at it, could you optimize the rest of the sprites?

• MagicWazard
More
9 years 4 months ago - 9 years 4 months ago #7 by MagicWazard

Blue Shadow wrote: And while you're at it, could you optimize the rest of the sprites?

Yeah, I could, though I'm not real familiar with optimization methods beyond simply converting to a color palette/index. What specific method did you use for optimizing the sprites? I think I've seen one in SLADE3 (which I'm guessing you used) but I don't really know anything about it.

EDIT: Never mind, I went and did a little homework, then downloaded PNGOUT and pointed SLADE to it. I'm assuming this is what you used, since the results I got were either identical or within 1 byte of yours. I'll have an update thread ready shortly.
Last edit: 9 years 4 months ago by MagicWazard.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 4 months ago #8 by Blue Shadow
In addition to PNGout, I use DeflOpt.