header general

Chasm: The Rift texture pack troubleshooting

• Impie
  • Impie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
9 years 1 month ago #1 by Impie
I'm new to zdoom stuff and custom texture packs, and I've been trying to use the Chasm texture pack listed here (not the Beta one, which works without any problems so far). I described my troubles over at Doomworld and thought I'd post about it here in case it's the texture set's problem and not my own ignorance.

The first problem was a couple of Decorate tags that were causing errors. Removing the tags got rid of the error messages, but another problem persists:

...except for the flats and a few random sidedefs, most of the textures are checkerboard pattern when I test the map, but show up properly in the map editor. I didn't check "exclude this resource from testing parameters" or anything.

http://imgur.com/nliw8gC
^ In DB2 ^

http://imgur.com/Djv5TF9
^ In Doom ^

I am incapable of getting these textures to work properly, even when building the map in UDMF or Hexen format. Is there something wrong with the texture set or am I just doing something wrong yet again?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MagicWazard
More
9 years 4 weeks ago #2 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic Chasm: The Rift texture pack troubleshooting
Several of the problematic textures have extra spaces in their filenames. Deleting the spaces from the filenames allows them to display in-game correctly. I didn't try them all out, but I'm guessing this will be the case for all the affected textures.

• Impie
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
9 years 4 weeks ago - 9 years 4 weeks ago #3 by Impie
Which format did you create the map in? Doom in Hexen format? UDMF? I've been using UDMF and the filename doesn't appear to matter: many of the problem textures have no spaces in the filename. And I just noticed that still others don't display the correct colors in-game.

EDIT: I just realized you did indeed mean "spaces" and not "underscores". I'll try fixing that.

EDIT2: That seemed to do the trick all right. Is there a certain process for submitting revised resources so nobody else has to go through several hundred textures deleting typos?
Last edit: 9 years 4 weeks ago by Impie.

• MagicWazard
More
9 years 4 weeks ago #4 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic Chasm: The Rift texture pack troubleshooting
Yeah, pretty much anybody can submit an update to an existing submission, as long as it's for the purpose of fixing bugs/errors. You would just make a new thread in the "Texture Stock" forum, with the subject line including "Update". Updates can usually get away with not following most of the submission template--just including the details of the fix is generally enough. As long as it's just to fix a problem, you don't need the original contributor's permission (though contacting them about it might be a good idea so they are aware of this sort of thing in the future--they may also offer to fix it themselves).

• zrrion the insect
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
9 years 4 weeks ago #5 by zrrion the insect
Replied by zrrion the insect on topic Chasm: The Rift texture pack troubleshooting
I actually have ripped additional chasm textures (from an expansion) that I've been meaning to add to the current pack. If you have an update ready to go that fixes your problem, pm me and I'll add the additional textures to it and submit an update. If not I can do the fixes on my end.

• Impie
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
9 years 4 weeks ago #6 by Impie
I can't find how to PM you, so I'll just post it here . There should be no spaces in the texture names now, so every texture ought to work, unless there's a flat or two with spaces in the name that I missed. And I organized a small handful of textures that were separated by name (like the BASE textures). Nothing major.

Post here again when you have the new version up! I've been messing around with map design using this set lately.