header general

Banned users' status?

• MagicWazard
  • MagicWazard's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 10 months ago #1 by MagicWazard
Banned users' status? was created by MagicWazard
Hey guys,

I happened to notice that a particular banned user (I won't name names, but you can probably find who it is easily enough) happens to have his name displayed in the same red color as site administrators, rather than the yellow/ochre color of banned users. Maybe it's just a visual bug caused by the site migrating to the new software; maybe not. So I thought I would point this out, in the odd event that it's not just a visual glitch, and banned users are somehow accidentally getting admin privileges.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tormentor667
  • Founder
  • Founder
More
8 years 10 months ago #2 by Tormentor667
Replied by Tormentor667 on topic Banned users' status?
Thanks for the hint. I still have the optimization of the forum software on my screen but I simply don't have time currently to take care of it... too many things going on in real life and the little time I have is best spent in WolfenDoom :) But I didn't forget it.

• ozymandias81
  • Pain Elemental
  • Pain Elemental
More
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #3 by ozymandias81
Replied by ozymandias81 on topic Banned users' status?
Also, as a suggestion + just to wipe them really from your site Torm, are there any hopes to see all banned users out from User Status lists? So we can see them only inside Members List and stop.
Last edit: 8 years 7 months ago by ozymandias81.

• Tormentor667
  • Founder
  • Founder
More
8 years 7 months ago #4 by Tormentor667
Replied by Tormentor667 on topic Banned users' status?
Just happened, deleted about 530 inactive, disabled or banned users.

• Infirnex
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #5 by Infirnex
Replied by Infirnex on topic Banned users' status?
Damn, I must've been pretty close to get past that inactive sweep.

EDIT: I now realize this is a week old post and is potentially a necrobump. That is a great way to get back into the community :S
Last edit: 8 years 6 months ago by Infirnex.

• NeuralStunner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 6 months ago #6 by NeuralStunner
Replied by NeuralStunner on topic Banned users' status?

Infirnex wrote: Damn, I must've been pretty close to get past that inactive sweep.

"Inactive" as in "has never posted". You've got almost 50 by now so you're fine.

I wouldn't worry about necrobumping. Your post at least resulted in something useful, I.E. my reply above. :P

• MagicWazard
More
8 years 6 months ago #7 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic Banned users' status?
Maybe we'll want to roll some of the comments from here into this thread, since there's a few that concern the bloat in "fake" users.

• MagicWazard
More
8 years 1 month ago #8 by MagicWazard
So, I see the number of users is starting to balloon again. Are we sure we don't want to implement some sort of CAPTCHA or verification system at registration to weed out the spambots? I doubt that systematically clearing out large numbers of users based on the sole criteria of inactivity is going to go over well with the legit users who simply don't make any posts.

• NeuralStunner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 1 month ago #9 by NeuralStunner
Replied by NeuralStunner on topic Banned users' status?

MagicWazard wrote: I doubt that systematically clearing out large numbers of users based on the sole criteria of inactivity is going to go over well with the legit users who simply don't make any posts.

It only takes one post to miss the deletion train. You know, they could always make a post to complain about it, problem solved. :P

I can't think of any important site features which require registration... Aside from posting comments. Frankly, I'm just not sure why someone would bother to punch in their email if they don't have anything to say. Their account info is really just taking up space.

• MagicWazard
More
8 years 1 month ago #10 by MagicWazard
Well, I recollect that at one point, users had to be registered in order to download any of the Repository's content, though that doesn't seem to be the case anymore (I just logged out and attempted to download something, without incident). So perhaps it's not that big a deal if a totally inactive user gets his/her account wiped out; it just seems like a needlessly blunt course of action from my perspective. I think the more graceful thing to do would be to pre-verify users to prevent spambots from joining.

Of course, at this point, I'm really just playing devil's advocate, so you don't have to take my concerns too seriously. :) I'm just trying to be helpful.