header general

Ambient sounds crash due to SNDINFO missing volume

• MagicWazard
  • MagicWazard's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #1 by MagicWazard
Hey guys,

I notice that the majority of ambient sound packs cause a crash when loaded up. The second "$ambient" line in SNDINFO is causing an error. For example:
"Script error, "ComputerMachines.pk3:sndinfo.txt" line 7:
SC_GetFloat: Bad numeric constant "$AMBIENT"."
This appears to be due to the fact that no volume is defined for the majority of ambient sounds; if a volume level is added to each, no crash occurs. The wiki is a little unclear as to whether volume is optional or mandatory. Was the volume definition optional at one point in the past? Is it mandatory now? Does it need to be added into the submissions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ozymandias81
  • Pain Elemental
  • Pain Elemental
More
8 years 5 months ago - 8 years 5 months ago #2 by ozymandias81
Replied by ozymandias81 on topic Ambient sounds crash due to SNDINFO missing volume
Well those are ambient sounds and a floating point value is needed, from 0.0 to 1.0 at max. I think those needs to be updated then, so they were broken even with older ports imho. :oops:
Last edit: 8 years 5 months ago by ozymandias81. Reason: typo

• MagicWazard
  • MagicWazard's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 years 5 months ago #3 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic Ambient sounds crash due to SNDINFO missing volume
The wiki entry on ambient entries in SNDINFO makes volume look optional (the <volume> value is in between angle brackets<>). I'm going to assume this isn't the case anymore, if it ever was. I'll put together a list of everything that is affected by this. I'll probably just update them myself while I'm at it, too.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
8 years 5 months ago #4 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic Ambient sounds crash due to SNDINFO missing volume

MagicWazard wrote: The wiki entry on ambient entries in SNDINFO makes volume look optional (the <volume> value is in between angle brackets<>).

It's square brackets that usually designate a parameter being optional.

Warning: Spoiler!