header general

Chat / Personal Message / Shoutbox in one system?

• Tormentor667
  • Tormentor667's Avatar Topic Author
  • Founder
  • Founder
More
9 years 8 months ago #1 by Tormentor667
Instead of having a seperate shoutbox and pm system, what about a combined variant of both?
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/communication/chat/24612

We have some money left to use, so why not this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Infirnex
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
9 years 8 months ago #2 by Infirnex
If I am to interpret this correctly (and I have no idea if I am), it's basically Facebook's chat component for the forum, right?

It's a little unorthodox, but it can work.

• NeuralStunner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 8 months ago #3 by NeuralStunner
Replied by NeuralStunner on topic Chat / Personal Message / Shoutbox in one system?
This extension looks more like some over-featured social network thing... I don't exactly like the idea of the site turning into Facebook Doom.

Personally I'd still rather see a standardized PM system, and the return of the Ajax Shoutbox (since it worked pretty well before).

• Tormentor667
  • Founder
  • Founder
More
9 years 8 months ago #4 by Tormentor667
Replied by Tormentor667 on topic Chat / Personal Message / Shoutbox in one system?

infirnex wrote: If I am to interpret this correctly (and I have no idea if I am), it's basically Facebook's chat component for the forum, right?

Exactly that

@NeuralStunner - Well, this will never turn into "Facebook Doom", don't worry :) It's just that the whole system is more "modular" and the shoutbox would be on all pages if you want it and you can even remove it if you don't like it. Same goes to the chat system. You can completely deactivate it if you don't like it.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 8 months ago #5 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic Chat / Personal Message / Shoutbox in one system?
When you say "chat", are you referring to something like an IRC? (I'm sorry, I'm not that knowledgeable in this social media stuff!)

Tormentor667 wrote: the whole system is more "modular" and the shoutbox would be on all pages if you want it and you can even remove it if you don't like it. Same goes to the chat system. You can completely deactivate it if you don't like it.

That's a plus.

• Tormentor667
  • Founder
  • Founder
More
9 years 8 months ago #6 by Tormentor667
Replied by Tormentor667 on topic Chat / Personal Message / Shoutbox in one system?

Blue Shadow wrote: When you say "chat", are you referring to something like an IRC?

More like a thing between IRC and the old Shoutbox

• NeuralStunner
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 8 months ago #7 by NeuralStunner
Replied by NeuralStunner on topic Chat / Personal Message / Shoutbox in one system?
I like IRC well enough, but I wouldn't want it to replace a PM system.

As another downside, particularly for a shoutbox replacement, this module is way more complicated than we really need. I think the Shoutbox worked fine without chatrooms, banning, and other why-do-we-need-this-when-we-already-have-a-forum stuff. Still voting "no". :(