Reoccurring issue

• doomedarchviledemon
  • doomedarchviledemon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
6 years 11 months ago #1 by doomedarchviledemon
Reoccurring issue was created by doomedarchviledemon
So every few updates that Gzdoom and Zdoom has there are a few monsters that consistently have an issue where certain projectile attacks will bug out. Two of the monsters that have consistently shown this issue are the Gate Keeper and the Overlord. The bug is the same every time for both monsters.

With the Gate Keeper its Breath attack and Grenade attack will randomly shoot towards the north even when it is attacking a player or other enemy not facing in that direction. The Overlord has the same issue, however it is with its multiple small red ball attack.

I've tested this with GZdoom 3.1.0 and Zdoom 2.8.1. Not sure if this issue has been brought to attention yet but figured I'd mention it now. I also do not know if there are other monsters that have this issue as I have yet to test them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MagicWazard
More
6 years 11 months ago #2 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic Reoccurring issue
I remember the Overlord had an issue where the angle and flags for one of its projectile functions were swapped, causing some projectiles to fire nonsensically. That was supposed to have been fixed a couple years ago when we patched all the Hades Sphere-using monsters. Is the issue occurring even on a newly-downloaded version? I'm guessing that's also what's afflicting the Gate Keeper as well, though I'm not familiar with it offhand. I'll check both once I have a spare moment in the next couple days.

• doomedarchviledemon
  • doomedarchviledemon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
6 years 11 months ago #3 by doomedarchviledemon
Replied by doomedarchviledemon on topic Reoccurring issue
Oh my god I was using an older version of the Overlord! Wow... goes to show how long I keep hold of everything that goes on this site lol. After testing the version that is up on this site the issue is in fact fixed in both GZdoom and Zdoom for the Overlord. Though I find it odd that the issue didn't occur in older versions of the engines but then did in the newer ones. Oh well.

However, I cannot say the same for the Gatekeeper. Its breath and grenade attacks still have a couple of projectiles that have their functions all borked up.

• MagicWazard
More
6 years 11 months ago #4 by MagicWazard
I'm pretty sure engine version didn't affect the Overlord's behavior, since after all the bug was found while using older engine versions...holy crap, looks like I made the archives for the updates back in 2013. And it was a parameters issue and not strictly an engine bug. Maybe it happened all along and you just didn't notice it until now...after all, it got approved that way originally, right? :D In any event, I'm sure the Gatekeeper must have the same issue, since it hasn't been bugfixed in recent memory. I double-secret promise I'll take a look at it shortly. :)

• MagicWazard
More
6 years 10 months ago #5 by MagicWazard
Ok, looks like I was right. The "FlameBreath" and "PlasmaGernade"[sic] attacks all have what appears to be their pitch being fed into the parameter for "flags". Wiki page revisions going all the way back to 2005 show a parameter has been in that spot, so it seems like it would have to have been an oversight.

• MagicWazard
More
6 years 10 months ago #6 by MagicWazard
Ok...I made an update version. May I ask a favor of you? Decorum prevents me from approving my own submissions, so I was wondering if you would be willing to post an update thread using this version. Make sure you take it for a test drive first, of course. :) If you don't feel comfortable posting an update, I can do it myself, though it may not see approval right away as the other admins are not very active as of late...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4p0utt63e62vued/Gatekeeper.zip?dl=0

...I really want to rebalance this thing, because I don't much care for it (20 - 160 points of damage for each pain spam projectile??), but that's neither here nor there. I really wish someone could chime in on the aimflags parameter behavior issue...

All changes made are:
- A_CustomMissile was passing the value for Pitch to Aimflags; a value of 0 was assigned for Aimflags for all calls to A_CustomMissile.
- Corrected spelling of "Grenade".
- Replaced NULL with TNT1.
- Converted sprites to PNG.