Concept for Original Demons

• skelepound
  • skelepound's Avatar Topic Author
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
6 years 10 months ago #1 by skelepound
Concept for Original Demons was created by skelepound
When modding for DOOM, I only ONCE created a (half-assed) new enemy, Cyberthuhu. But I do alot of sketching of demons, and demon cyborgs in particular, so I was thinking: what if there was a thread where we submitted concept art for modders to design new, original spritesheets and demons? I hated the animation - and really using computer drawing programs in general. I thik we'd have alot of really badass submissions, and those out there who don't mind the animating and drawing ofcomputer sprites could create a host of new, horrible demonic entities for us to explode. I'm not submitting anything yet(but hopefully VERY soon I will), but if anyone is interested:

SHOW ME WHAT YOU GOOOOOOT!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MagicWazard
More
6 years 10 months ago #2 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic Concept for Original Demons
Moving to The Workshop, since the repository subforums are only for submissions and not freeform concept discussion. Freeform discussion and "how-to" threads go to The Workshop. With that formality out of the way...

What you're describing sounds fairly similar to the Spriting Carnival and, to a lesser extent, the Spriting Apocalypse threads on ZDoom.org. I wouldn't be categorically opposed to having a thread like that here, but I don't think we get the traffic to justify it...

• skelepound
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
6 years 10 months ago #3 by skelepound
Replied by skelepound on topic Concept for Original Demons
Looking at spriting carnival, it seems SIMILAR - but the idea here is to create demons that are - well, i love the palette swaps, I'll be honest, I think they're great, but the idea here was to avoid variants on pre-existing sprites - such as the Baron of Hell and the Lord of Heresy -and instead have completely new material. Which can then be palette-swapped and have parts stolen and incorporated into new stuff, essentially broadening the existing resources for demon graphics. So, if I upload a thin, skeletal looking guy with robotic, knife claw hands and a head consisting of nothing but a giant mouth, sure, you can use the Archvile torso - but the spriter will at least contribute a) robotic knife claw hands, and b) giant eyeless mouthface. Which other modders can steal and incorporate. Ideally, even the archvile body should be avoided, so we can have a variant emaciated demon body. Spriting Carnival is mostly really cool palette swaps.

• skelepound
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
6 years 10 months ago #4 by skelepound
Replied by skelepound on topic Concept for Original Demons
https://postimg.org/image/rfeetqs3p/

thats a slightly older drawing - but its a good example, and seems fairly suited to Doom. Demon bird monster think, I call it (with a smirk) a Hooker. Like I said - both an example AND an official submission. Anyone wants to turn into a DOOM monster, thats what its here for.