header general

monster design contest! spriting has started

• raymoohawk
  • raymoohawk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Wraith
  • Wraith
More
9 years 8 months ago - 9 years 6 months ago #1 by raymoohawk
Next semester is going to be my last in college, as part of one of the classes I plan on starting a YouTube channel about doom style spriting. I will have a tutorial video series detailing and commenting the creation of a complete sprite sheet from scratch. Unfortunately having played few games I don’t have many referents to fuel my creativity.

Here is where you my fellow doomers can help! I am launching a monster design contest, submit a design of your own creation in the form of a sketch or detailed description, don’t hold back if you have a beastie that you always wanted to see in doom!

I will turn the winning design into a complete sprite sheet, with everything included, projectiles, xdeaths, brightmaps (NOTE I will not code or create any sounds, just images) and feature it in the video series, you will of course be credited with the monster design, you will also decide under which license to release the sheet

The submissions will be open until December, however since I don’t want to hurt my responsibilities towards freedoom the actual spriting will start on February when classes start.

Don’t worry this project will definitely be finished, I’ve already spoken to the teacher for whose class this project will be, so don’t hesitate, if raymoo fails you raymoo fails school, so no risk of sudden cancelation!

The selection of the best design will be done by vote, so no bias.

Rules coming soon (feel free to suggest some) :D for now the only rules are no ghost or smoke monsters unless they include a majority of solid parts, also no zombies. also this is not obligatory but it is preferable that the monsters is in the doom size range

also someone help come up with a more appropriate title for the thread

i will mirror this thread over at zdoom so they can participate too, if you have a zdoom account post there instead, if you dont have one i will submit your design over there

this is an example of my stuff

feel free to ask questions if you have doubts

UPDATE

i have started spriting the entries for the contest. i have started with capj, i have taken liberties in the design to make it more doom friendly

so some good news and bad ones

first the good, all the entries will get one whole rotation sprited. this will be done because a monsters design can change widely from a single 2d representation to a a 3d rotation. a single sprite would be misleading

the bad, the project will continue at an even slower pace than it has so far. in part because of my many compromises. also no more submissions. all the ones already submitted will be sprited, but if someone submitted many they will be combined to reduce number of submissions, the same applies to desings with similarities

expect more soon, and im really sorry for being so of schedule

UPDATE
Last edit: 9 years 6 months ago by raymoohawk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Guardsoul
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
9 years 8 months ago #2 by Guardsoul
Well, I´ve got a little bastard I made when I was like 12 years old but unfortunately I missed the picture (almost 9 years since that, heh). Give me a couple of days and I will post the redrawn monster.

Does it matter if it is just a photo or must it be a scanned picture?

• raymoohawk
  • Wraith
  • Wraith
More
9 years 8 months ago #3 by raymoohawk
a photo is fine, its just so we can get an idea of the design.

• kalinus
  • Imp
  • Imp
More
9 years 8 months ago #4 by kalinus
I really want to see new corridor 7 sprites I can provide these if you want. I will eventually make a 3 to 6 map wad for a Corridor 8 proof of concept. My idea was to make corridor 8 much more ambitious with a darker maybe even Quake II strogg-like look. I was drawing an idea for the sentry. Even if I won't win the contest I would like a spriter for my mod. I will think of an original monster just give me some time :XD:

• raymoohawk
  • Wraith
  • Wraith
More
9 years 6 months ago #5 by raymoohawk
i have started spriting the entries for the contest. i have started with capj, i have taken liberties in the design to make it more doom friendly

so some good news and bad ones

first the good, all the entries will get one whole rotation sprited. this will be done because a monsters design can change widely from a single 2d representation to a a 3d rotation. a single sprite would be misleading

the bad, the project will continue at an even slower pace than it has so far. in part because of my many compromises. also no more submissions. all the ones already submitted will be sprited, but if someone submitted many they will be combined to reduce number of submissions, the same applies to desings with similarities

expect more soon, and im really sorry for being so of schedule