Using New Keys in maps

• InterdimensionalInterloper
  • InterdimensionalInterloper's Avatar Topic Author
  • Wraith
  • Wraith
More
6 years 8 months ago #1 by InterdimensionalInterloper
Using New Keys in maps was created by InterdimensionalInterloper
I'm working on a megawad that requires the player to enter a chamber at the end of each map that requires a silver key to exit the map in. I added the key from the "VARIOUS DOOM KEYS" made by Disguise and MagicWazard and the mod seems to accept it as a thing, yet i'm not seeing any options in slade for making a door that requires the key to activate it. Does anyone know what i need to add to make slade recognize the key properly? Do i need to make somekind of scripted command to make my key recognizable?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 8 months ago #2 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic Using New Keys in maps
SLADE prompts you to choose a map format when creating a new map; it's either Doom, Hexen or UDMF. If you chose Doom, then you're won't be able to set up a lock for the new keys. If you chose Hexen or UDMF, then you should be able to. You just need to put the lock number when assigning the door special.

Refer to the LOCKDEFS lump for the lock number.

• Wraith
  • Wraith
More
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #3 by InterdimensionalInterloper
Replied by InterdimensionalInterloper on topic Using New Keys in maps
I changed my map format and found the lump number but when i go into generalized actions tab i get this screen and there is nowhere to specify the lump number. Is my slade just outdated?

Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by InterdimensionalInterloper. Reason: Adding Picture refrence

• Wraith
  • Wraith
More
6 years 8 months ago #4 by InterdimensionalInterloper
This whole time I was trying to follow your instructions as applied to Doombuilder2 without even realizing Slade had its own built in level editing application! Should be able to make it work now that i'm in the right program! :p

• Wraith
  • Wraith
More
6 years 8 months ago #5 by InterdimensionalInterloper
Wow fuck doom builder this slade builder is... ZOUNDS better! Still haven't really figured out how to get to that screen you posted though, I think because Im still not in Hexin/Doom format. In the drop down menu i don't see an option to run doom in an alternate format.

[img

• Blue Shadow
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
6 years 8 months ago #6 by Blue Shadow
Replied by Blue Shadow on topic Using New Keys in maps
I could be wrong, but I don't think SLADE can handle changing of the format like that. However, GZDoom Builder can, if I'm not mistaken.

Tip: before you mess around with changing the format of your map, make sure you have a backup of the map. You never know what could happen if things go wrong.

• Wraith
  • Wraith
More
6 years 8 months ago #7 by InterdimensionalInterloper
Wont run my maps in any format besides doom >:O Maybe I can find a way to reformat them. For the time being I guess I will just have to do without the silver key and have it open with all three keys instead. Will post in WIP once I get map 3 finished and reduce the filesize a bit. Thanks for the help.

• MagicWazard
More
6 years 8 months ago #8 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic Using New Keys in maps
I know *regular* Doom Builder (2) can't change maps from Doom format to Hexen format; I used a dedicated utility for that called "zwadconv". (There's a link on https://zdoom.org/downloads which you can get it from.) I haven't switched over to GZDoomBuilder yet (haven't done much mapping recently) so I can't say if it does it natively; either way, zwadconv can do it.

When you say that "won't run your maps in any format besides Doom", are you possibly attempting to build the map FOR Hexen, or run it IN Hexen? If so, that might be the problem.

In any event, once you're in the correct map format, when selecting a line that you want to use a custom key on, you'll need to provide the lock number for the key in question. The lock numbers are specified in the LOCKDEFS file. (For example, Silver Keycard is Lock 9.) There doesn't seem to be any way to add new keys to the list of existing keys for the sake of selecting them from the map editor, so you'll have to keep the list of lock numbers handy when using them in maps.

• Wraith
  • Wraith
More
6 years 8 months ago #9 by InterdimensionalInterloper
I cant get the program to work, what does this run with DosBox?! I really didn't think it would be so complicated just to add an additional key.All in all I suppose it is just a gimmick and not worth holding up the whole project over. An all three key combination lock will have to work . Although, it will effect my map designs.

• MagicWazard
More
6 years 8 months ago #10 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic Using New Keys in maps

InterdimensionalInterloper wrote: I cant get the program to work, what does this run with DosBox?! I really didn't think it would be so complicated just to add an additional key.All in all I suppose it is just a gimmick and not worth holding up the whole project over. An all three key combination lock will have to work . Although, it will effect my map designs.

Are you referring to ZWADCONV? I open it with the command prompt (shortcut: Win + R to open the "Run" dialog; then, type "CMD" in the dialog and select OK) in order to run it. Navigate to the directory the map is in, and type "zwadconv <old map name>.wad <new map name>.wad". Note that the map WAD's name should be all one word. So in other words, "zwadconv myoldmap.wad mynewmap.wad" would be valid, but "zwadconv my old map.wad my new map.wad" would likely throw an error.