header general

Sky Textures Pack

• MagicWazard
  • MagicWazard's Avatar Topic Author
More
9 years 6 months ago #1 by MagicWazard
Sky Textures Pack was created by MagicWazard
Before the hack attack, we had a thread where we were compiling together a bunch of new skybox textures for people to use. Since this was a thread, rather than a finished submission, it was lost when the site was hacked. So I'm re-posting it to see if we can generate some more interest in getting new contributions to it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xz7p2b0h9jbodwh/SkyTexturesPack.zip?dl=0

Credits for individual submissions are included in the .zip.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• MagicWazard
More
9 years 5 months ago #2 by MagicWazard
Replied by MagicWazard on topic Sky Textures Pack
Double-posting, since I haven't figured out yet how to edit and then bump a post. (Edit, yes; bump, no.)

I'm sure a lot of you guys have seen these already, but if you haven't, check them out. These are some skies from one of the early builds of the game, taken from Xaser's compilation of pre-release stuff (including the recent Romero releases) over on Doomworld. SKY001 through 3 aren't terribly interesting, though they may be useful as bases for modification. SKY004's lunar surface is kind of neat, and SKY008's actually fairly well done; the harsh lighting on the mountains is attractive if not necessarily "realistic" to the scene. The SKY005 sequence is particularly interesting, since it's a lightning animation; makes me wonder if the original Doom was supposed to have a Lightning function like Hexen did. (It doesn't look too bad when implemented as such, either.)

Do you guys think any of this stuff merits inclusion? If it was up to me, I would probably add in 4 and 8, and maybe the lightning sequence.

• Dreadopp
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
9 years 5 months ago #3 by Dreadopp
Replied by Dreadopp on topic Sky Textures Pack
I think the second one would be more interesting if the background wasn't completely black. It may also be an idea to use the brown mountainside from the first one instead of the blue rock formation.

• MagicWazard
More
9 years 5 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #4 by MagicWazard
How's this? It's the brown mountainside combined with the planet (Earth? Tei Tenga?? ), against a star background adapted from TNT's space skybox. I've also extended it to 360 degrees so the planet doesn't appear at all 4 compass points.

Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by MagicWazard. Reason: Updated positioning of planet.

• primeval
  • Imp
  • Imp
More
9 years 4 months ago #5 by primeval
Replied by primeval on topic Sky Textures Pack
I like them. If you're going to use the blue mountainside, maybe make the moon blue tinted as well? It sorta sticks out otherwise and doesn't make sense.

• MagicWazard
More
8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #6 by MagicWazard

primeval wrote: If you're going to use the blue mountainside, maybe make the moon blue tinted as well? It sorta sticks out otherwise and doesn't make sense.

I made a version with the planet/moon tinted blue:

I made it heavily saturated, otherwise it wouldn't palettize particularly well. I can provide a custom-paletted version (which has a more nuanced color scheme) if you want.

EDIT: Might as well just post a truecolor version here, rather than drop hints about it:

And this version actually palettizes better than I expected:
Last edit: 8 years 10 months ago by MagicWazard. Reason: A couple new previews

• ozymandias81
  • Pain Elemental
  • Pain Elemental
More
8 years 10 months ago #7 by ozymandias81
Replied by ozymandias81 on topic Sky Textures Pack
I really like this SkyPack... hope it will be finished soon.

• MagicWazard
More
8 years 10 months ago #8 by MagicWazard

ozymandias81 wrote: I really like this SkyPack... hope it will be finished soon.

Well, I don't think this is something that will ever be "finished" in the traditional sense, but I'm not sure that's a problem as long as people keep contributing to it (not that it's been a hotbed of activity lately).

Sorry, one more version:

This one is custom-paletted, and has the blue color applied on top of the original color of the planet, rather than the previous ones where the planet was desaturated before coloration.

• ozymandias81
  • Pain Elemental
  • Pain Elemental
More
8 years 10 months ago #9 by ozymandias81
Replied by ozymandias81 on topic Sky Textures Pack
Well, the sky may be... ehehhe... Last one sky you did is more good than older ones. Awesome.