Request: Gore Nest (Doom 2016)

• DoctorBleed
  • DoctorBleed's Avatar Topic Author
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #1 by DoctorBleed
Request: Gore Nest (Doom 2016) was created by DoctorBleed
Today, I'm here to request someone recreate the Gore Nests from Doom 2016 in Doom. They're some of my favorite "chess pieces" from the newer Doom games, but so far I've been unable to find a standalone version anywhere.

The way they're meant to work is this:

1) It's completely stationary, has no attack and doesn't summon anything while its alive. Its almost like a destructible decoration, but the next two points make it very different.
2) It serves as barrier to your progress. It needs to be destroyed so you can continue the level. This could mean killing it opens a door, drops a key, or raises a bridge. All of this can be done in Doom Builder, so it isn't a concern.
3) When it dies, it summons a bunch of demons into the room, usually in a big circle. This is a lot like the usual mapping trick of opening a monster closet when you pick up a key card, but with a bit more flare and presentation.

Here's a video demonstrating how they work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfyZ3aXXdts

For an example of how I'd like them to work, you can look at how they function in the Zion or Death Foretold mods.

The creator of Doom 4 Vanilla made some great sprites and he's apparently okay with people using them in other things, so I forked them from his mod into this wad. Sadly, it has no code. I'm hoping someone will be able to use this as a basis for building a functioning enemy. Good luck, and thank you!

https://mega.nz/file/UhIgSaSL#cKxoF4lozmAXqmc_8Mbqw51Tg7UBB7X-qnAR6E46iogWad Link Here
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by DoctorBleed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Kan3
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
1 year 1 month ago #2 by Kan3
Replied by Kan3 on topic Request: Gore Nest (Doom 2016)
Ok for point 1, but for the other 2 the best option is just to "make" them via a Doom builder, because going through DECORATE/ZSCRIPT looks kinda pointless, especially if someone is playing with custom monsters, or wants to place that thing in rooms with different shapes :/

So in the end you would just need stationary sprites and sounds x)

• DoctorBleed
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
1 year 1 month ago #3 by DoctorBleed
Replied by DoctorBleed on topic Request: Gore Nest (Doom 2016)
I was thinking it could be given a function to summon a group of random monsters in a circle around where it died. A wee bit easier than setting it all up in Doom Builder. But if you think it would be better left blank so the monster spawns could be unique, I'm not against the idea. I guess there'd be nothing wrong with basically making it a destructible prop.

No need to worry about what kinds of keys it drops or doors it opens, that part is actually really easy to set up in DB. I'm only concerned about the monster spawning.

• Kan3
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
1 year 1 month ago #4 by Kan3
The fact is, there's no easy way to check room for the spawning to be successful, especially if you want to spawn monsters that have different hitboxes. It exists an easy way, but it won't spawn anything if there's no room for the thing to spawn in, so you'll have to always be careful where you place the "spawner", the decorations around it or even other monsters in the room or the player itself.

On the other hand, in the builder you can spawn (or even teleport, so that you don't alter the original map monster count) whatever and wherever you want.

But, if you still prefer to have it that way, I can code the easier way with no problem (no sprite work though x) )

• DoctorBleed
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
1 year 1 month ago #5 by DoctorBleed
Alright, let's do it the easier way :P

• Kan3
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
1 year 1 month ago - 1 year 1 month ago #6 by Kan3
Here you go:
Working Gore Nest

A couple of things:
  • I didn't know how those sprites are used, so made it simple. Change the frames as you like.
  • I made a list of spawnable monsters, you can edit it with everything you want (remember to change the max value in the spawn function inside the array).
  • I added 2 arguments to the thing so that you can change the area of the spawnings and the number of monsters via the editor (changing the monster numbers will also change their spawn position to always keep it symmetric)
  • I made the nest a switching decoration, so that you can directly activate it by pressing "E" on it instead of just having to kill it (it's still killable).
Last edit: 1 year 1 month ago by Kan3.

• DoctorBleed
  • Dark Imp
  • Dark Imp
More
1 year 1 month ago #7 by DoctorBleed
oh this is excellent. The one bit of constructive criticism I have is it should probably leave behind a bloody pile when it dies and maybe have a meat death sound effect. Neither are dealbreakers, though. This is wonderful! Thank you so much!

• Kan3
  • Chaingunner
  • Chaingunner
More
1 year 1 month ago #8 by Kan3
I do agree, it would be nice to have gory stuff being thrown around when it explodes, as well as giving it GLDEFS with dynamic lights and brightmaps.
Though, like I said, I was aiming just to code what you requested, not to make the entire thing x)