• SSkies
  • SSkies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
3 months 2 weeks ago - 3 months 5 days ago #1 by SSkies
Soul Wand - need advice was created by SSkies
Alo

This is a small project I have been working on. I was trying to do a Heretic version of the Sapphire Wand used by the Hexen mage. I got the sprites, sounds, and the script from the wiki; so far, so good. I still needed a pick up sprite, so I took the "pickup-able" Gold Wand sprite from GZDoom and painted it blue and silver. Looks a bit amateur, but can work.

Then I needed to make a powered up version of the wand. The hard part was to decide what. My first idea was to to a continuous fire laser-like thing, but it seemed very similar to the Phoenix Rod's powered fire so I discarded it. The second idea was to launch a slow projectile that explodes on contact and spawn five regular shots in a star-like shape or something. That would be nice, and quite different from everything in the game. But it was quite hard because I cannot design cool sprites from zero (I absolutely suck) so I had to use something like the Centaur's blue projectile, but it didn't convince me. So I turned to my third idea: I took the projectiles from the FrostFang (which I had already used in my Wendigolem) and resized the sprites to make them small and look like micro shards, something that can be used in a similar way to Doom Eternal's rifle micro missiles. Then, finally, what my powered wand does is spawn a cloud of micro shards. To make it work a bit differently, I turned it into a semi-automatic weapon that launches bursts of three barrages of shards. The projectiles look quite fine, for being a complete amateur work. But, overall, the weapon looks a bit lame.So, I would like some advice on how to make it better. Or, some help to improve it. This is what was in my mind:
  • A nice sound for the shard barrages. This version uses the sound from the Hellstaff, which seems approppiate but of course can be improved.
  • A modified version of the ready and fire state frames to distinguish it from the normal weapon. Of course it's not necessary, but looks cool. Maybe a glowing blue fire, like the regular Heretic Staff, or something like that.
  • Improving the pickup sprite (does look a bit unnatural) Done: thanks DeVloek

I'm uploading this version of the weapon so you can take a look. Of course, the normal version is exactly the Hexen wand, so I only need to work on the powered up version.

That's it but, any advice or suggestion is welcome. Thanks!

EDIT: I'm uploading a new version. Here are the changes I made.

CHANGELOG 3/25/24
  • New pickup sprite edited by DeVloek
  • Code translated to ZScript, almost without changes
  • Fixed a bug where random was used instead of frandom
  • Appropiate CREDITS file added

CHANGELOG 3/26/24
  • Dynamic lights added to the micro missiles spawn sequence
  • The lights fade out when the projectile hits, instead of just disappearing
  • Random Z velocity removed from the micro missiles spawn definition
  • Small flow changes within the code
Last edit: 3 months 5 days ago by SSkies. Reason: New version

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
3 months 6 days ago #2 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic Soul Wand - need advice
Here's an edit of the pickup sprite. I ain't no pro spriter either but I think this resembles the weapon sprite a bit more

• SSkies
  • SSkies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
3 months 6 days ago - 3 months 6 days ago #3 by SSkies
Replied by SSkies on topic Soul Wand - need advice
Very nice! I'll be using it ASAP.

Thank you very much mate!

EDIT: new version uploaded.

Next thing I'm gonna do is attach some dynamic lights to the cloud of shards and look for some nice sounds for the shooting and hits.
Last edit: 3 months 6 days ago by SSkies.