WIP - Anti-Materiel Rifle

• DeVloek
  • DeVloek's Avatar Topic Author
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
3 months 4 days ago - 3 months 3 days ago #1 by DeVloek
WIP - Anti-Materiel Rifle was created by DeVloek
I was playing some Arma 2/DayZ Epoch recently and some of the endgame guns on our server include the AS50 and the M107 which are .50 BMG caliber rifles.
So I looked around for such an anti-materiel rifle for Doom, and all I could find via Google was one from DoomRL Arsenal and one from Hideous Destructor. I didn't bother trying them out since the sprites didn't impress me, so I dug deep into the Zdoom forum spriting carnival and finally found some pretty good ones made by Torridgristle years ago.

No idea if they were used in a mod already but I kinda doubt it since they weren't mentioned anywhere else. Sadly there was no pickup sprite so I made one myself (2nd attempt below).

Anyway, I made a playable AMR from those sprites, my idea was to make it hit hard but at a slow fire rate, kinda like the super shotgun but with a single bullet that deals a ton of damage. The gunshot sound is from an Anzio 20mm AMR but imho it sounds better than actual .50 cal weapons (of which I have sounds too so I could swap them out if ppl like those better), the bolt sound is from a [strike]Remington MSR[/strike] Ruger Gunsite Scout.

Check out what I got so far, I'd love to hear some advice and ideas how to make it better.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FhOZzVrctEdSfc_-9q_7NWmp_qPGLmcr/view?usp=sharing
summon: amr and amrammo

Todo:
  • [strike]better pickup sprite[/strike] Done
  • muzzle flash and brightmaps
  • doomguy hands
  • [strike]custom ammo type[/strike] Done

some other ideas:
  • increased inaccuracy while moving
  • recoil (pushing the view up, or the player back, or both)

edit: updated the file with new pickup sprites and a better bolt action sound
Last edit: 3 months 3 days ago by DeVloek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SSkies
  • Demon
  • Demon
More
3 months 3 days ago #2 by SSkies
Replied by SSkies on topic WIP - Anti-Materiel Rifle
None of the vanilla-ones match this one's ammo, but I recalled there were a lot of pretty ammo boxes in the STALKER series.

https://zsg.dk/Items_Weapons.php

Maybe an edit of one of those?
There are also several mods of the game, such as Anomaly, that feature several different weapons and ammo types. Maybe even got the exact ammo box you're looking for.

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
3 months 3 days ago #3 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic WIP - Anti-Materiel Rifle
Thanks, but those screenshots of the ammoboxes are all in some weird isometric perspective, I wouldn't even know how to begin making them look like Doom style.

But I already have some sprites for the ammo pickup anyway, went for cartridges instead of a box.

I also made a completely new weapon pickup sprite. Torridgristle's weapon sprites were based on the KM50 sniper rifle from F.E.A.R., so I based my pickup sprite on that weapon as well.

And I replaced the bolt action sound with a better one. I think this is going somewhere, I'll try to add doomguy hands next.

• BFG Major Mike
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
3 months 2 days ago #4 by BFG Major Mike
Replied by BFG Major Mike on topic WIP - Anti-Materiel Rifle
I'd think it'd be a good idea to make the firing sound meatier. Big Gun, Big Bang

• DeVloek
  • Wicked
  • Wicked
More
3 months 2 days ago #5 by DeVloek
Replied by DeVloek on topic WIP - Anti-Materiel Rifle
The sound was recorded from one of the biggest guns you can carry. Check out some Anzio 20mm videos on Youtube. Any .50 BMG sniper rifle is weak sauce against it. But if you have a better sound, feel free to link it.

• BFG Major Mike
  • BFG Commando
  • BFG Commando
More
3 months 2 days ago #6 by BFG Major Mike
Replied by BFG Major Mike on topic WIP - Anti-Materiel Rifle
I dont know how to link sounds but I have a few